News Article: Captain Josh Gorges At Your Service

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think it obvious that it should be Daniel Briere! :yo: We might as well get something out of that stupid contract.

Gotta give it to Brière -- he's such a shoo-in that he was able to get handed a torch without ever having played for the Habs, while having snubbed them in the past. Plus, he's the only player with the accent grave on his jersey, that should give him added value. :sarcasm:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
No. I want the captain to be a guy who should be on the ice at the end of games. Gorges is not that guy.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Emelin has a long way to go before making anyone redundant. He's been easily our worst defenseman this year out of the five regulars.

...and look at that salary .... sigh... this team never learns.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Would possibly be the worst possible choice.

feds91

May 17, 2004
1. Players will decide.
2. It will most probably be Gorges.
3. No chance it could be Subban. Zero. Niet. Nada.
4. You people put way too much importance into that role.

Exactly what he wrote :handclap:

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Emelin has a long way to go before making anyone redundant. He's been easily our worst defenseman this year out of the five regulars.

I've been criticizing Emelin a lot in the past. He was absolutely atrocious in his first season. But he's having a pretty good season so far. He his our 5th best dman, but I wouldn't say "easilly" compared to Diaz.

But clearly Gorges is a much better player than Emelin and he is underrated a lot in here.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I wouldn't be able to deal with Gorges clichees of hard work as captain, it's bad enough as it is.

I would re-sign Markov and give him the C.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
4. You people put way too much importance into that role.

I get the hero-type aura of a captain in the olden days, but how is that even important in the era of self-centredness and where every player is practically his own corporation? I agree, whoever gets the C is an overblown concept.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I've been criticizing Emelin a lot in the past. He was absolutely atrocious in his first season. But he's having a pretty good season so far. He his our 5th best dman, but I wouldn't say "easilly" compared to Diaz.

But clearly Gorges is a much better player than Emelin and he is underrated a lot in here.

I love Emelin, and I'm hoping he gets his ass in gear soon, maybe by playing on the left side, but Diaz has been quite a bit better. Just comparing the second pairings of Gorges-Diaz vs. Gorges - Emelin and it's as clear as day. Hope he figures it out soon.

Tendresse

Capitaine Gorges
Dec 23, 2006
Montréal
I'm really glad that captaincy isn't a popularity contest. Sometimes I wish Bergevin would name Moen as a captain just to laugh at the ensuing ****storm.

On-Topic: Don't let my avatar fool you, I'm not a particularly ardent supporter of Gorges for captain. I'd be totally down if it happened - Captain Gorges has a really nice ring to it. He's a vocal player in the dressing room, isn't particularly gifted but compensates by his exemplary attitude and his defensive abilities are underrated by most. Gorges wearing the 'C' would definitely not look out of place. The 'A' is fine and should logically stay though.

The good thing about this team is that there are plenty of players who could be named captain and deservedly so. Pick one out of Plekanec, Markov, Galchenyuk, Subban, Prust, Gorges, Desharnais :)sarcasm:) and it will be a good choice.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I maybe crazy but give Alex Galchenyuk the captaincy and build around him much like Chicago did with toews. Pittsburgh with Crosby Colorado ny islanders etc

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I'd give it to Subban simply because this team needs his attitude not some veterans and management who want to keep him down.

Rather have players that will follow his exuberance.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Not really, mainly because I hope that for the kind of money Gorges is earning they get a more physical/bigger/more effective guy. IMO he has been mediocre since last season and I think he's a little bit overpaid.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I love Emelin, and I'm hoping he gets his ass in gear soon, maybe by playing on the left side, but Diaz has been quite a bit better. Just comparing the second pairings of Gorges-Diaz vs. Gorges - Emelin and it's as clear as day. Hope he figures it out soon.

To be fair, Diaz and Emelin are not the same style of defenseman at all. A puck-moving guy like Diaz is perfect to play with a defensive guy like Josh. On the other hand, Emelin also being defensive makes a pretty incomplete pairing with Gorges. Point is, even if Emelin was playing better, I think him and Gorges would still make a worse second pairing than Gorges-Diaz.

But yeah, Diaz > Emelin as of late, even if I think that comparing their respective play with Gorges is unfair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad