News Article: Captain Josh Gorges At Your Service

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Do you agree that Josh Gorges should be the Habs' next captain when Brian Gionta leaves as a free agent?
Captain Josh Gorges At Your Service

Puke .... I sure hope not. He can't lead by example on the ice because he's one of the least skilled on the team and his condescending comments about Subban during his contract negotiations has left a sour taste in my mouth about him.

Make your best player the captain, especially the one whose on the ice the most.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No. He's not good enough a player to be respected as captain. You want to be captain you have to be better than that. The fact that he's blocking so many shots tells me that he's playing a lot without the puck.

And his 'rah rah' stuff in the dressing room doesn't mean anything as far as I'm concerned. Esp with how he treated Subban publicly while that holdout was going on. To me he displayed a serious lack of leadership there and it said more about him than any of his "let's go guys" stuff that he regularly shouts out in the dressing room.

Actions speak louder than words.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't want him playing out his entire contract here, let alone stay here as captain. Gorges really brings nothing except solid defensive play. Not outstanding defensive play, just solid.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
No because a player with a even a modicum of finesse would better represent Montreal's identity IMO.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
Captain Gorges? Please no. Just no.

I think a Captain should know how to play hockey. You know, knowing how to shoot a puck, pass a puck. Basic things. Gorges' main strengths are blocking shots and taking hits in the corner like a champ. He's sorta like hockey's version of a sadist. He's definitely not worth 3.9M/year, and he's not the type of guy you want as your team's leader. I have no problem with Gorges having an A, since he does seem like a team-first guy, but he can't be THE leader. A minimum level of hockey skill is required. Look around the league. Shot blockers aren't captains. Screaming "LET'S GO RED" before every game doesn't make you a leader either.

On top of all that, he's said some pretty dumb things about the CBA negotiations during the lockout. He's also said some pretty dumb things about Subban during his protracted negotiations with Bergevin. He lost a lot of respect in my books because of that.

Subban, Markov, Plekanec - all are much better Captain candidates in my book.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
If he can get rid of the intrusive ads on this site, sure.

I am not buying a Chevrolet ever.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Gorges strikes me as one of those kids who's always the first to raise his hand in class when the teacher asks a question or when he asks for a favor. Those kind of ppl always annoyed the hell out of me.

Also, hate his fake manly voice.

Borderline #4, great #5 but please don't be pretentious.

Boomsticks

Apr 28, 2012
I don't think he should get the C. He can keep the A for a couple more years.

Who do I want to be Captain? Plekanec. He is one of the hardest working guys on the team. He is incredibly consistent. He is a player that you want on the ice no matter the situation (Power play? Pleky. Penalty Kill? Pleky. Down a goal with a minute left? Pleky. Up a goal with a minute left? Pleky.) He is the first on the ice at every practice. There was also a great bit in 24CH where you see him reviewing the video with the video coach after every game.

The cons against him in my book are a) He's an older guy that is coming out of his prime and b) he is probably the biggest piece of trade bait that we have on the team, and as much as it would break my heart, I think he's going to be gone within two seasons.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Gorges strikes me as one of those kids who's always the first to raise his hand in class when the teacher asks a question or when he asks for a favor. Those kind of ppl always annoyed the hell out of me.

Also, hate his fake manly voice.

Borderline #4, great #5 but please don't be pretentious.

Attacks on personal character. Good argument.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
No, absolutely not. If this was my team, I would hand it over to Subban. He has the kind of personality that wants and thrives under additional responsibility and pressure.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
OK. It seems that a lot of people don't seem to realize what a captain is supposed to do. Markov and Plekanec would be the worst choices. They're not vocal at all and are reserved. Subban is another really crappy choice, but at the other end of the spectrum. I like the spark but he rubs some people the wrong way, isn't a veteran, and I could see a dozen different ways how that would end up being a terrible decision. Still has a lot to learn too.

Skill is not what ultimately makes a good captain. Look at Brown in LA. How many points does that guy have? At best, he's a second-liner. At worst, a 3rd-liner. LA is killing this year, same as last year, and the year before that. They won the Cup under his leadership.

Gionta isn't that productive anymore and is currently the captain. Last year, the team soared to new heights. This year, they're on the same track, record-wise. All things considered (injuries at the beginning of the year artificially crippling the team), they are in good standing.

A captain has to be available to the media and communicative with the ability to speak his mind to the players. And be grounded. To me, Pacioretty would be my choice. Good work ethic, seems well-liked and respected by his peers, grants interviews all the time and seems to be an upstanding guy. Can't see how that'd be a bad choice... except that the media would probably make a big stink out of the fact that he doesn't speak French, in spite of how Gionta doesn't and the world didn't end.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Or an oral b toothbrush lol
Or watching the movie Ronin (this Christmas in theatres and "RealD3D")

Back on topic though, he wouldn't be my pick. Good in the room, doesn't cut it on the ice. It's one of my biggest pet peeves when one of the more mediocre players get the C on any team. Like this year when Edmonton gave it to Ferrence, for example. A captain's gotta be a player that sets a benchmark of leadership on the ice. Gorges has some warrior qualities to him but he's not that kinda guy for me.

I'd pick Subban, but we all know that'll never happen.

go_habs_go

Oct 9, 2003
Winnipeg, MB
www.canadiens.com
To me, a captain should be one of the better players on the team. A player that has leadership skills, is vocal enough, but can also leave it all on the ice and have the ability to make things happen. Someone respected and preferably someone who can defend himself and his teammates. Main thing for me, is the Captain HAS to be one of the team's better players. I would never put a 4th liner captain no matter how much leadership skills the guy has.

Josh Gorges is a mediocre player at best. He may have some leadership skills, but doesn't have the ability to change a game on the ice. To me, he is a good Assistant Captain.

Players that I can see becoming the Habs captain in the near future are:

PK Subban
Max Pacioretty
Brendan Gallagher
Jarred Tinordi
Tomas Plekanec

I, personally believe that both Subban and Pacioretty would be ready for that role as early as next season.

We can always appoint Andrei Markov as a bridge Captain until the next chosen one is ready to step up.

If I was in charge , Max Pacioretty would be captain of the Montreal Canadiens.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
OK. It seems that a lot of people don't seem to realize what a captain is supposed to do. Markov and Plekanec would be the worst choices. They're not vocal at all and are reserved. Subban is another really crappy choice, but at the other end of the spectrum. I like the spark but he rubs some people the wrong way, isn't a veteran, and I could see a dozen different ways how that would end up being a terrible decision. Still has a lot to learn too.

Skill is not what ultimately makes a good captain. Look at Brown in LA. How many points does that guy have? At best, he's a second-liner. At worst, a 3rd-liner. LA is killing this year, same as last year, and the year before that. They won the Cup under his leadership.

Gionta isn't that productive anymore and is currently the captain. Last year, the team soared to new heights. This year, they're on the same track, record-wise. All things considered (injuries at the beginning of the year artificially crippling the team), they are in good standing.

A captain has to be available to the media and communicative with the ability to speak his mind to the players. And be grounded. To me, Pacioretty would be my choice. Good work ethic, seems well-liked and respected by his peers, grants interviews all the time and seems to be an upstanding guy. Can't see how that'd be a bad choice... except that the media would probably make a big stink out of the fact that he doesn't speak French, in spite of how Gionta doesn't and the world didn't end.
Captains come in all shapes and sizes. Who was a better captain? Messier or Yzerman? Two totally different guys and yet both are considered a couple of the best captains ever.

Jaimie Maclennan was on the radio yesterday saying that teams don't even need a captain. You know who the leaders in the dressing room are. He said the 'C' on a sweater is totally irrelevant.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

2nd in the league in hits and gets minimum 50 points per year throughout his career. Don't know how he is in the dressing room, but he leads by example on the ice.

BIG NO for Gorges as the next captain. I guess we'll become the next big thing in terms of blocking shots if this happens. Let him wear the A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad