News Article: Captain Josh Gorges At Your Service

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'd rather a genuinely elite player become captain, the captain should be a leader both in terms of character (lol) and actual aptitude on the ice.

Subban, Markov, Plekanec, make more sense.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I would probably quit watching this team if they made a hockey decision of this nature.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Plekanec should absolutely get the C if he was comfortable with it (Markov hasn't been and I don't blame him for that.) I like Gorges for what he does, but it's actually when he talks that he annoys me. The thing you'd expect to want most from a captain (or see from him at least as a stereotype) is what I hate about him. Pleks is the guy who leads on the ice and not just this season.

Also, where's the link to the article about Gionta leaving after this season as a free agent?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Plekanec should absolutely get the C if he was comfortable with it (Markov hasn't been and I don't blame him for that.) I like Gorges for what he does, but it's actually when he talks that he annoys me. The thing you'd expect to want most from a captain (or see from him at least as a stereotype) is what I hate about him. Pleks is the guy who leads on the ice and not just this season.

Also, where's the link to the article about Gionta leaving after this season as a free agent?
I'd say Bergevin wouldn't re-sign Gorges, so he'd become a free agent in any event, The Habs have to bring in younger players (all of whom, incidentally, would be bigger than Gionta) at more than one position.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
LOL Plekanec will be off this team before Gorges, be real bud.

Even IF that were true, so what? We are talking about the hypothetical situation in which Gionta is gone (and not by trade either) after this year. If you remember when Carbo was dealt to Dallas, do you remember the sequence of the next few captains and how long they lasted? It was almost an indicator that you were getting traded, but each one deserved it. Anyway, I do hope Pleks is with the team for at least 2-3 more seasons if not until he retires. Imagine him centering our legitimate 3rd line on a contending team!

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I'd say Bergevin wouldn't re-sign Gorges, so he'd become a free agent in any event, The Habs have to bring in younger players (all of whom, incidentally, would be bigger than Gionta) at more than one position.

Did you mean Gionta not Gorges?

While I too think Gionta will not return, just pointing out that the OP states it as a fact. There is the option of him being moved before the deadline too. I actually like Gio, but recognize that he can't meet his full potential on the Habs. There are many teams that I think would do well to have him. (Including us if he wasn't relied on as much as he is.)

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I find that Gorges is getting more and more underrated on this board but I don't believe he's captain material. I'd prefer someone much more talented, that would lead the team by example. Problem is, we don't have that (yet) so I guess the next captain will be it "by default" more than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad