Rumor: Captain Discussion: More Fuel for the Gagner Fire?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sure that's the standard view. I don't see any evidence that the captain of a team could just as easily be a fart in a paper bag and be just as effective in terms of results.

Mark Messier did so many selfish dumbass things on the ice but his team won, so people just gloss over it. The myth of Messier (who is one of my all time favorite players mind you) is such a funny thing to listen to as the years roll on.

Give it to Hall for entertainment value!

But for every stupid thing Mess did there was easily a dozen that drove opponents crazy. Theres virtually none of that in Hall and he needs to start being something like that. Personality makeover, because nice guys finish last.

Theres a huge message there.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
But for every stupid thing Mess did there was easily a dozen that drove opponents crazy. Theres virtually none of that in Hall and he needs to start being something like that. Personality makeover, because nice guys finish last.

Theres a huge message there.

Yeah Messier won games. Once Hall starts doing that as well no one will care about the other crap. Winning fixes everything.

So much old school myth in hockey culture.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nah, it happened. I can't remember who the opposition was (Preds?) but Gagner got mauled down near the circle in the o-zone and may have been momentarily winded because he didn't get up too quickly. He then made no effort to get back to the defensive play in a timely fashion and instead skated at half speed back toward his own zone screaming at the ref as he went. It was childish, and iirc the opposition scored on the play as well.

Oh OK.

You'd think I'd know about every Gagner mistake ever made from reading this board. I must've missed one. People here are usually good with bringing each instance up a few, or 118times...:D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah Messier won games. Once Hall starts doing that as well no one will care about the other crap. Winning fixes everything.

So much old school myth in hockey culture.

Its not myth and its still well and alive.

I detest the Hawks and Bruins just from my perspective of being a fan. Thing is its not much different if you're a player on an opponent club. Everything about those clubs drives you nuts, gets you off your game consistently. Each of those teams have several guys that get in opponents heads purposely.

Its always been part of the game, still is. Getting in peoples heads is huge in anything from sports to Chess.

The Oilers don't know much about this mental battle.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
More falsehoods.

C'mon Bryan, you keep bringing up that one incident where he got mugged deep in the o-zone and the ref totally blew the call. It was an immature thing for him to do, but its not like you can point to other instances like that from his career.

Well when people are *****ing about Hall taking penalties in a pre-season game and how that should disqualify him for captain, I think that it's relevant to bring up that play from Gagner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How can anyone fault Hall for playing with passion? Everyone has different things that makes them tick, some guys keep calm, cool and collective 99.9% of time while others play a much more emotional game. When things don't go Hall's way he tries to force the play, tries to make some hits, tries to channel his anger into positives. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but above all else he is trying hard to change the game and to WIN, I don't see that as much in a player like Gagner, some people see that as a good thing, I personally don't.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well when people are *****ing about Hall taking penalties in a pre-season game and how that should disqualify him for captain, I think that it's relevant to bring up that play from Gagner.

Taking penalties isn't necessarily the issue. It's losing your cool and getting frustrated and lazy.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Taking penalties isn't necessarily the issue. It's losing your cool and getting frustrated and lazy.

Frustrated IMO is good if it can be channeled correctly. Keep in mind he is being asked to play a much tougher position and this was his first game as a center for at least a year IIRC. IMO he did some good things and had his shot been in regular season form he could've had a hattrick tonight.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Frustrated IMO is good if it can be channeled correctly. Keep in mind he is being asked to play a much tougher position and this was his first game as a center for at least a year IIRC. IMO he did some good things and had his shot been in regular season form he could've had a hattrick tonight.

IF it's channeled properly. Hall has yet to do that in three years as a pro. Most captains in the league are calm and cool. This just goes to show if you get Hall mad it'll get him off his game. Not a good thing at all.

Oct 15, 2008
IF it's channeled properly. Hall has yet to do that in three years as a pro. Most captains in the league are calm and cool. This just goes to show if you get Hall mad it'll get him off his game. Not a good thing at all.

Better to have a calm guy that blends in and does nothing. A couple of pages of Hall muckraking on here, and no mention about how Sam Gagner had no points, and zero shots on goal in 18min of ice time, against sub nhl quality players.

That's captain material around here apparently.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I disagree, if you get him mad he has another gear and that gear will bury teams.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Aaaanyways.... Gagner's team 1 , Hall's team 0

.:. Gagner 1 - Hall (+Ference) 0

I bet we get like 6 A's and 4 U's instead of a C

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Better to have a calm guy that blends in and does nothing. A couple of pages of Hall muckraking on here, and no mention about how Sam Gagner had no points, and zero shots on goal in 18min of ice time, against sub nhl quality players.

Taking bad penalties is also captain material around here it seems. Especially when you're trying to maintain leads. And the Flames squad in Calgary was much better than the one in Edmonton.

I disagree, if you get him mad he has another gear and that gear will bury teams.

Does he though? Usually when he gets mad he breaks stuff or slams doors. If he was madt tonight, and he sure looked like it, he didn't reach another gear. Instead he took penalties that would make Horcoff and Moreau proud.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That hit is exactly why a player should be captain. If Gagner had done it or ANY player had done it, I would be praising them for it. We have had too many shrinking violets on this team the last bunch of years.

Hall goes out and eliminates a guy who feasted on a no pushback Oilers team and you criticize him for it? I say it was about time somebody stood up and was recognized. I wish all our guys did that once in a while.

I suppose you think Gagner fighting is bad too? :shakehead

Maybe he should have done the hit when it could have counted. As it was he floated through the game expecting his great offensive play to be the difference maker.

Captains show up when you have to bring a complete game.

Hall isn't there yet.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They should just give it to Ference for a year or two. All the kids still need to settle in.

vickpeterson

Sep 30, 2011
HF
Yeah I can't wait until Hall gets suspended for even longer and he'll be able to do all those clutch things on the ice that we want him there for. Fat lot of good it did us when the Wild beat us the next two times anyway.

Using Messier as a comparable is laughable because it's like comparing Gretzky to Mike Cammalleri. We don't have a Messier on this team. Hall is a great player but the more he lets his emotions get the better of him the worse it'll be for us.

Look at Johnathan Toews. Very rarely gets rattled, and look at how poor he played when he DID get rattled. We need a captain like that. Or perhaps we could go the opposite route, because being exactly unlike the Blackhawks is something the Oilers wish to do, I suppose.

DOES ANYONE ON THIS BOARD EVEN WATCH JONATHAN TOEWS?????????? JOnathon Toews plays the best when he's on the edge. When he's frustrated, when things aren't going his way.
He took a few bad penalties in game 5 against the Wings. Who won the series? Chicago. And Toews played a huge part. Hall has that same ability to play on edge like that. I love when he gets frustrated. At least someone cares on this team and isn't accepting of the losing culture.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
DOES ANYONE ON THIS BOARD EVEN WATCH JONATHAN TOEWS?????????? JOnathon Toews plays the best when he's on the edge. When he's frustrated, when things aren't going his way.
He took a few bad penalties in game 5 against the Wings. Who won the series? Chicago. And Toews played a huge part. Hall has that same ability to play on edge like that. I love when he gets frustrated. At least someone cares on this team and isn't accepting of the losing culture.

Amen! When most everyone else is ready to fold the tent Hall instead tries to force the issue and spark some life into the team.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
They should just give it to Ference for a year or two. All the kids still need to settle in.

at first i hated this idea, but the more i think about it the more this idea is starting to grow on me. this is halls team, but i don't think he's quite ready to take on the main leadership role just yet. ference would make an excellent transitional captain.

The Perfect Human*

I don't see why everyone's so mad here. The reason why the A-squad lost the game was because the non-NHLers were making mistakes.

Arco-Omark-Yakupov were on for 3 goals against, none directly Yak's fault.

That Grebs-Musil pairing was quite easily the weakest link.

Olivier Roy is not even an AHL goalie yet.

These fringe players won't make the roster, and won't contribute the same way this one did to regular season losses. I'm not worried.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Making Ferrence the Captain just doesn't seem right, seeing as how he hasn't even played a game for the team yet...

I don't think he will get it just for this reason.. and you can't just make a guy Captain for a couple of years and then strip him of it..

If there's supposed to be a transitional captain.. I'm sure it will be Ryan Smyth until he retires.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee

+1 to this.

Gagner's smoke and mirrors are about as good as G.O.B.'s from Arrested Development.

currently, at least Hall has a game to get KNOCKED OFF OF... Gagner is knocked off "his game" a majority of the time and just happens to chip in vulture points when better players are on his wings while playing sub par D and getting tossed like a little boy in the dot/corners/boards.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Ference should wear the C for me. Consummate professional and has obviously already bought into Eakins' conditioning philosophy and has the cup winning experience.

He probably is the type that will pass it to Hall/Eberle/RNH in time as well.

Plus the 'C' just looks right on a 21 jersey.

Billybaroo*

Jonathan Toews was horrible last year while he was in the midst of losing his cool in the playoffs.
Horrible.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Toews played a huge part after he stopped being a baby. Up until that point in the playoffs he was a ghost and they very easily could have lost the series to the Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad