Rumor: Captain Discussion: More Fuel for the Gagner Fire?

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
http://www.nhlpa.com/news/leader-of-the-pack

Not sure how accurate it can be, considering they call him 'Gagne' half the time...

However, it's on the NHLPA website, so someone's either listening to and reiterating the hype or they have information we don't....

PS: I know this topic is beaten to death, but let's try to make sure this thread stays focused...

Unless you specify *what* it should be focused on, let's not kid ourselves - it will only be focused on one thing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Read something yesterday about Ference, Gagner and Eakins doing some sort of fitness thing together. Made me really think about how Gagner is really getting into Eakins good books early.

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
Unless you specify *what* it should be focused on, let's not kid ourselves - it will only be focused on one thing.

Good point. I guess I mean that discussion of where Eakins' wife wants to live really has nothing to do with Sammy's viability as a captain :naughty:

I'm hoping this can be a spot where people put news that they hear that either supports or denies the rumours we heard a couple weeks ago.

BFDBFD

Oct 9, 2007
Luanda, Angola
Read something yesterday about Ference, Gagner and Eakins doing some sort of fitness thing together. Made me really think about how Gagner is really getting into Eakins good books early.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The three of them have been tweeting about their early-morning runs with a whole organization called @Nov_ProjectCAN. It does confirm that Sammy is at least getting some one-on-one time with the new coach.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The three of them have been tweeting about their early-morning runs with a whole organization called @Nov_ProjectCAN. It does confirm that Sammy is at least getting some one-on-one time with the new coach.

And the Anti Ganger crowd will probably something like this:
'
"SS is now just brownosing his way to being a captain.....blah blah can't play defense blah blah, snowpants blah blah, stupid gif. "

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

Anyone know what "Nov_ProjectCAN" is?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
“I look to Shawn Horcoff as someone who I was fortunate enough to play with and learn about what it takes to be a respected leader,” offered Gagne, of the veteran who was traded to the Dallas Stars this off-season. “Every day, you saw his professionalism. He carried himself in a manner that everyone looked up to. He showed what it meant to work even in the hardest of times, to never take your foot off the gas regardless of the situation.”

fail

edit: does no one proof read this crap before they publish it?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Basically it was about a couple of rowers that had no money for gym memberships and wanted to find a way to stay motivated enough to do some physical activity as it got cold.

McStanley

Dec 8, 2005
I want a Captain who can lead by example. If the team is losing I want the Captain to pick up the team and carry them on his back. No offense to Gagner but it should be Hall.

McSaviour

Mar 6, 2013
Edmonton
"“I think we’re all fed up with the way things gave gone,†said the player who shares the record of most points in one game (eight) by an Oiler with Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri."

So does anybody proof read this? There are so many mistakes in this but this one is my favourite.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I want a Captain who can lead by example. If the team is losing I want the Captain to pick up the team and carry them on his back. No offense to Gagner but it should be Hall.

I actually argue that in more cases than not, Sam was one of the last guys to quit on his team.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm hoping this can be a spot where people put news that they hear that either supports or denies the rumours we heard a couple weeks ago.

Nice thought.

Unfortunately, this thread will inevitably turn into what every other Gagner thread turns into: 2 armed camps fighting over the same cratered landscape.

Gagner thread = WWI trench warfare

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Despite what fans thought his teammates thought highly of Horc.

Really??

You actually think the young players on the team liked Horc when he continuously blamed losses on them being a young team who makes mistakes and needs to learn how to win. I am sure all the entitled and under performing veteran players over the past few years have loved having him in their corner. It has been well reported that the Oilers dressing room stuation has been a mess and that their has been a divide in it almost since Horc became captain.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really??

You actually think the young players on the team liked Horc when he continuously blamed losses on them being a young team who makes mistakes and needs to learn how to win. I am sure all the entitled and under performing veteran players over the past few years have loved having him in their corner. It has been well reported that the Oilers dressing room stuation has been a mess and that their has been a divide in it almost since Horc became captain.

Considering they spent every gameday at his house and continue to talk highly about him I'd suggest these reports you are using aren't the truth.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I don't really care either way since I don't think who your captain is makes much of a difference overall.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing Gagner become captain just to see the haters explode into rage.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
http://www.nhlpa.com/news/leader-of-the-pack

Not sure how accurate it can be, considering they call him 'Gagne' half the time...

However, it's on the NHLPA website, so someone's either listening to and reiterating the hype or they have information we don't....

PS: I know this topic is beaten to death, but let's try to make sure this thread stays focused...

You want a focused thread but don't even have a focused title or OP. You don't mention captain anywhere...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This topic has been beaten to death.

Hall should be the captain from everything we as fans can see.

If Gagner is made captain it will be because of behind the scenes things we can only speculate on. The guy has never worn a letter for the Oilers in his life as far as I know, and has obvious holes to his game. While he is a good player, it would be a strange move to make him captain.

Billybaroo*

Nice thought.

Unfortunately, this thread will inevitably turn into what every other Gagner thread turns into: 2 armed camps fighting over the same cratered landscape.

Gagner thread = WWI trench warfare
The difference been, one camp realizes he isn't a rockstar but works hard and is a decent 2nd liner, the others who say hes a scrub.

Billybaroo*

Really??

Looking forward to the many links you will provide.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I don't really care either way since I don't think who your captain is makes much of a difference overall.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing Gagner become captain just to see the haters explode into rage.

100% in agreement with you.

ps. Nabob, the locker room divide was under Moreau. He and Staios were shipped out pretty quickly after it happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad