Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Tampa Bay Bucs News at 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
4 on 3 power play has zero wrinkles. Kuzy walking in was the only variation, and it confused Carlson more than anyone else.

I thought they should've tried to make a backdoor tap in or deflection play with Oshie. The 3 PK players were all cheating towards Carlson and Ovi.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Forsythe drawing up a PP strategy is like Dan Snyder scouting a college player.
Blaine Forsythe is responsible for the entire NHLs power play system basically. Even if his PP has gone stale, the dude more than earned his keep in this league. Snyder hasn’t done anything equivalent.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Disappointing loss in OT, but overall I thought he Caps and VV looked good. That last draw that lead to Stamkos GWG looked like there was some drama. Still a point and a good game. Now to watch the Dodgers.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Forsythe:

'I have a great idea! Everyone stand around and feed Ovi, even if he is covered'.
It’s funny because I thought our PP was so successful against NYR because we did exactly the opposite. This game we reverted back to a stagnant PP that was trying the same thing again and again.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don’t think anyone on the 2nd or 3rd line have been very good at ES. Especially Mantha and Sprong. That current 2nd line just doesn’t seem to work at all. Would much rather put the effective Sheary/Eller duo back together with Sprong, then Oshie back with Mantha and McMichael.
I don't think it's as much about the guys on the 2nd and 3rd line as it is about Backstrom being out. He is more important to this team than people think.
Sorry guys but Eller is not a 2nd line center. If Backstrom is in the the lineup he will make his line mates better. Eller doesn't bring that.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Still shocked that Feverbaby wasn’t featured in the 3v3. I get that they have the Russian trio line and spent a chunk at 4v3, but there was still opportunities for 42 to get shifts and instead they went with Schultz and additional shifts for Carlson. Fehervary is their best skater and best puck carrier among the blue liners, seems like his skill set would flourish at 3v3

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I don't think it's as much about the guys on the 2nd and 3rd line as it is about Backstrom being out. He is more important to this team than people think.
Sorry guys but Eller is not a 2nd line center. If Backstrom is in the the lineup he will make his line mates better. Eller doesn't bring that.
Backstrom is their best overall forward, so yeah he’s quite important and they miss him. But I also don’t think the current setup with what they have is ideal. The 1st and 4th lines have been pretty good IMO but going with:

Mantha-CMM-Oshie
Sheary-Eller-Sprong

Would be much more effective based on past results (Sheary/Eller and Oshie/Mantha). You would also hope that CMM is more ready than Lapierre and this wouldn’t limit one of your best forwards minutes (Oshie) like what is currently happening.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Forsythe:

'I have a great idea! Everyone stand around and feed Ovi, even if he is covered'.

I understand you are angry but Oshie led the team in ppg last season. Carlson is the leading pp defenseman over the last 3 years. Backstrom is the best passer in the league. Ovechkin is the greatest scorer ever. You don't think the pp should be set up around him?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLegendOfPatPeake

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Backstrom is their best overall forward, so yeah he’s quite important and they miss him. But I also don’t think the current setup with what they have is ideal. The 1st and 4th lines have been pretty good IMO but going with:

Mantha-CMM-Oshie
Sheary-Eller-Sprong

Would be much more effective based on past results (Sheary/Eller and Oshie/Mantha). You would also hope that CMM is more ready than Lapierre and this wouldn’t limit one of your best forwards minutes (Oshie) like what is currently happening.

Oshie had 21 minutes of ice time. They kept the first line intact, but the other lines where constantly changing.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

The defensive effort tonight was solid enough against an excellent TB team, but only generating 2 xG (and only about 1 at ES) is indicative of the big issue going forward. They need to be able to generate more chances at ES, it’s been their big downfall the past few postseasons.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I understand you are angry but Oshie led the team in ppg last season. Carlson is the leading pp defenseman over the last 3 years. Backstrom is the best passer in the league. Ovechkin is the greatest scorer ever. You don't the pp should be set up around him?

I think the PP should have some alterations after all these years. You cover Ovi and limit the zone entry: No PP goal.

Also, no anger here. Just having a laugh that Blaine used a timeout to map what everyone knew he was going to do. Sure you can have the best players whatever, but if it’s predictable, you can defend it.

Ciao!

Reactions: Peeri
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad