Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Tampa Bay Bucs News at 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
I hope CMM and Samsonov are motivated by seeing guys they should be playing over not only playing, but playing extremely well.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
I hope CMM and Samsonov are motivated by seeing guys they should be playing over not only playing, but playing extremely well.
My feeling is that Lapierre is already ahead of McMichael on the depth chart.
Why on earth would he play 3rd line at center instead of CMM if it was not the case?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Sure seems like VV has the lead on the #1 job, but the sample is too small to make definitive conclusions. Still, a few months ago the Caps protected IS and let VV go, now the tables appear to be turning. Did something change over camp, or did the Caps make a mistake on who to protect, costing them a 2nd? Or is this just a reward for playing one good game? They generally alternated almost every game last year unless one of them had a shutout.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I got lightly flamed a while back for suggesting that Lapierre was the better of the 2 center prospects and should be kept over CMM in the event of some kind of trade. I disagree that CMM "should be playing over" Jimi. Have long thought that Hendrix had the higher upside and that his skill set was a better fit for a top 6 NHL center.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I got lightly flamed a while back for suggesting that Lapierre was the better of the 2 center prospects and should be kept over CMM in the event of some kind of trade. I disagree that CMM "should be playing over" Jimi.
Which is weird, because Lapierre was an arguable top-10 player who fell due to injuries and it doesn't seem wildly controversial to say he's got a higher ceiling. CMM is a guy who was picked roughly where he "should have" been and then had a really good developmental year but Hendrix should realistically start being considered "ahead" unless injuries throw him off course again.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
upload_2021-10-16_13-58-14.gif

Caps + over!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Which is weird, because Lapierre was an arguable top-10 player who fell due to injuries and it doesn't seem wildly controversial to say he's got a higher ceiling. CMM is a guy who was picked roughly where he "should have" been and then had a really good developmental year but Hendrix should realistically start being considered "ahead" unless injuries throw him off course again.
I think the skepticism, if you can even call it that, was mainly about the development trajectory since their respective drafts. Lapierre barely played between Covid and not making the world junior team (which, wut?) so he hadn't really "done" anything, while McMichael had, to his credit, made the most of an unplanned promotion to the A.

Reactions: HTFN

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Crazy to think this is only the 8th team the Caps have faced under Laviolette - and only the 8th NHL team Vanecek has played against.

I’ve been rather unimpressed by Tampa’s defense and goaltending the last couple of games - but both are areas I fully expect them to rebound in, given they remain largely unchanged from the last two seasons. Caps need to play a near-perfect game tonight, though, if they don’t wanna throw Vitek under the bus. Regardless of how Vitek plays, it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up seeing some Sammy by the end (and it would very likely have been the other way around if Sammy was starting). Their offense remains scarily potent.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think the question with Lapierre was more finishing, durability but also whether he played a pro style game or not. The skill and sense weren't in question so much as whether he'd manage to translate it against men. So far so very good.

You also have to love his enthusiasm and sponge-like desire to learn. This may be the first time in quite a while that a forward prospect of theirs had that sort of energy and attitude, which is weird when you really think about it. It says a lot about the intelligence of some of their recent skilled forward prospects that have moved on and couldn't entirely fill their niche here. It's great for Hendrix and assuming he sticks it's great for his older teammates also. It shows some leadership capacity to approach the game and his game that way. That more than anything suggests this is probably not a flash in the pan.

Reactions: Hivemind and HTFN

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Crazy to think this is only the 8th team the Caps have faced under Laviolette - and only the 8th NHL team Vanecek has played against.

I’ve been rather unimpressed by Tampa’s defense and goaltending the last couple of games - but both are areas I fully expect them to rebound in, given they remain largely unchanged from the last two seasons. Caps need to play a near-perfect game tonight, though, if they don’t wanna throw Vitek under the bus. Regardless of how Vitek plays, it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up seeing some Sammy by the end (and it would very likely have been the other way around if Sammy was starting). Their offense remains scarily potent.

Tampa must be going through a bit of a lull because prior to the last couple of games their defense and goaltending was extremely good.

Reactions: HecticGlow

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Having watched TB's gm.1 vs PIT, lull doesn't begin to describe it

Fully appeared that the team showed up just for the Cup ceremonies and didn't care 1 iota about playing a game afterwards, beyond pathetic... gm.2 they at least made 2 comebacks to show signs of life

I'm expecting them to wake up and have a 'normal' game finally (which doesn't exactly bode as well for us as their previous 2 opponents); hope we throw in a good 'Kuzy Cares' type of effort

Tampa must be going through a bit of a lull because prior to the last couple of games their defense and goaltending was extremely good.

Reactions: HecticGlow

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

They (and Vasilevsky) have conceded 6 goals in each of their first two games. Not like them at all.

Losing the entire Gourde line won’t have helped with matchups, but their coaching, D-Corps and starting goaltender haven’t changed at all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure seems like VV has the lead on the #1 job, but the sample is too small to make definitive conclusions. Still, a few months ago the Caps protected IS and let VV go, now the tables appear to be turning. Did something change over camp, or did the Caps make a mistake on who to protect, costing them a 2nd? Or is this just a reward for playing one good game? They generally alternated almost every game last year unless one of them had a shutout.

What changed was Samsonov got hurt and again was unavailable. Meanwhile Vanecek is available and consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad