Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Tampa Bay Bucs News at 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
What changed was Samsonov got hurt and again was unavailable. Meanwhile Vanecek is available and consistent.
I don’t buy this ‘Vanecek is available, Sammy wasn’t’ argument at all. Samsonov missed a few days late in the preseason, but was active for the vast majority of camp and able to play the full 60 minutes of the final preseason game. He’s dressing, and practicing normally.

Whatever the Caps might hope Samsonov will become, it’s clear Laviolette and MacLellan don’t entirely buy into the ‘Sammy’s a #1 and Vitek’s a backup’ narrative that’s been going around some parts:

[GMBM] That’s a key for our team: both of them need to get to that next level this year. It’s tough to evaluate both throughout the preseason. (But) I thought Vitek had a really good camp. Samsonov’s been a little inconsistent for me, but he’s coming. We have some time here to see how they’re doing and get in a regular routine and games and let (things) sort itself out.

( Brian MacLellan Q&A: Ovechkin and Backstrom's injuries, the emergence of young talent and playing against the Rangers )

Laviolette sees it as a competition between them, not Sammy’s net to lose:

Sammy only has an advantage if he outplays Vanecek, which simply hasn’t happened yet. Remember, too, that Vitek’s off-season was slowed by recovering from a fairly significant injury, yet had a better camp. Not much has changed - Vanecek is still more consistent than Samsonov, and consistency’s something coaches like. He’ll get his chances, and hopefully he makes the most of them.

Reactions: g00n

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Last game was expected to be a bloodbath. Saw Ovi's mic'd up, and I think with Ovi's kind attitude toward Reeves in the very beginning this tuned the game to normal.
Wanna a hat-trick for him tonight.

Reactions: BallardEra

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t buy this ‘Vanecek is available, Sammy wasn’t’ argument at all. Samsonov missed a few days late in the preseason, but was active for the vast majority of camp and able to play the full 60 minutes of the final preseason game. He’s dressing, and practicing normally.

Whatever the Caps might hope Samsonov will become, it’s clear Laviolette and MacLellan don’t entirely buy into the ‘Sammy’s a #1 and Vitek’s a backup’ narrative that’s been going around some parts:

( Brian MacLellan Q&A: Ovechkin and Backstrom's injuries, the emergence of young talent and playing against the Rangers )

Laviolette sees it as a competition between them, not Sammy’s net to lose:

Sammy only has an advantage if he outplays Vanecek, which simply hasn’t happened yet. Remember, too, that Vitek’s off-season was slowed by recovering from a fairly significant injury, yet had a better camp. Not much has changed - Vanecek is still more consistent than Samsonov, and consistency’s something coaches like. He’ll get his chances, and hopefully he makes the most of them.

This all fits well with losing Vanecek to Seattle. Somebody asked why Vv is playing. That's my answer. I am wrong?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My feeling is that Lapierre is already ahead of McMichael on the depth chart.
Why on earth would he play 3rd line at center instead of CMM if it was not the case?
Because for Lapierre it's NHL or QMJHL. So they might as well get Lappy some NHL action before he goes to juniors. He doesn't have the AHL option like CMM does. If they're at all close (which they are), it then makes sense to give Lappy the NHL action while they can.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Saturday night hockey? Fresh bottle of Makers?
upload_2021-10-16_18-6-6.gif

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Missed th entire preseason...so why Mcmichael hasn't been sent down to the A but still isn't getting a lineup spot?

Both CMM and Lappy had a good training camp and preseason. Hershey Bears have their first game tonight, so AHL season just started. I think with Backstrom out, they are going to get a real good look at both kids.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Both CMM and Lappy had good training camp and preseason. Hershey Bears have their first game tonight, so AHL season just started. I think with Backstrom out, they are going to get a real good look at both kids.
I kinda thought if they take them both seriously then both should have got a spot and a role in the lineup at least in one of the two starting games.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I kinda thought if they take them both seriously then both should have got a spot and a role in the lineup at least in one of the two starting games.

Well all of them have been playing well since the last 2 preseason games (where they fielded an actual lineup) and the 1st game against the Rangers. No one has been playing noticeably poorly up and down the lineup... so far.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If they’re not playing CMM tonight, and they’re next game isn’t for another 3 days, I’d have thought getting him a game in Hershey to keep him fresh (and developing) would’ve made most sense? They could bring him back up right after. Have to assume he plays next game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If they’re not playing CMM tonight, and they’re next game isn’t for another 3 days, I’d have thought getting him a game in Hershey to keep him fresh (and developing) would’ve made most sense? They could bring him back up right after. Have to assume he plays next game.

A week of inactivity is not the end of the world. I'm sure he'll get his turn and Lapierre will sit out some games.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Yea I don't think Lavi wants to change anything against Tampa after playing so well Wednesday.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
So far I'm impressed with the Caps and new TNT/ESPN. Much better picture quality, sound, and things seem to be clicking for the Caps.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They (and Vasilevsky) have conceded 6 goals in each of their first two games. Not like them at all.

Losing the entire Gourde line won’t have helped with matchups, but their coaching, D-Corps and starting goaltender haven’t changed at all.
Didn't they give up 3 empty net goals in the 6-2 loss to the Pens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad