GDT: Caps vs Sens 7pm Dec 22(Ovi another try for 801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My for real answer is I think the defense is just playing better. Orlov and Jensen had a rough start to the year somewhat uncharacteristically. Gustafsson wasn't nearly as effective as now. Carlson was making a bunch of mistakes. TVR has been his normal solid self. Even Irwin has been fine in a 6D role.

Pre-Thanksgiving they were 23rd in xGF% at 5v5 at 47%. Since Thanksgiving they are 2nd at 58%. Most of that improvement came from the defensive end where they went from 2.72 xGA/60 to 2.09 xGA/60. They improved offensively but not to the same extent.

If only I had any faith in John Carlson not falling apart in the postseason again, should they make it.

You don't think they're all playing better?

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Oshie coming back and GMBM calling them out in the press
Oshie was a short-lived boost and the veteran players could care less what BMGM says to the media. I think as others have suggested that it took awhile for newly formed lines to begin to gel. The relatively soft schedule has also helped.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
They finally excised the team cancer (Connor McMichael) once and for all.
More truth to this than some might want to admit…
…Afterall, when one guy gets to monopolize the team’s nacho supply.. night after night… it can wear on a team’s very soul, surely.
Personally, I’m glad that they are now a game above .500 for the first time since October.

Reactions: twabby

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oshie was a short-lived boost and the veteran players could care less what BMGM says to the media. I think as others have suggested that it took awhile for newly formed lines to begin to gel. The relatively soft schedule has also helped.

You know the players don't care what the GM says about their play? Even he said they'd been playing better since Oshie returned (which followed a 4 game losing streak and 5 losses in 6 games). Then they went on a tear.

1671804942833.png

In that article GMBM called out individual players, laid it out as far as how the season is going to go, and fired a shot across the bow to everyone with a contract expiring at the end of the season.

I guarantee you every player read it or heard about it. When the boss is talking about your future you pay attention.

Fun fact: The Caps are 14-7-1 with Oshie in the lineup (108pt pace).

The lines have been shuffling quite a bit all year, and by definition Oshie coming back shuffled them again. CMM was also sent down around the same time, iirc. So lines gelling over time is likely a minor factor.

IMO this is mostly a case of "message received" and some heart and soul guys adding character and drive. The problem this organization has always had is complacency after reaching a regular season goal. So it's possible they could stumble or slump after finally reaching a playoff spot.

Lavi had better be on the lookout...

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You don't think they're all playing better?

Sure, but I think the defensemen are what drive the team’s 5v5 fortunes more than the forwards and the D wasn’t very good to start the year. In particular Orlov and Jensen weren’t nearly at the level they were for most of last year and where they’ve thankfully returned to the past month. If those two aren’t going the team is obviously going to struggle a ton.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
My for real answer is I think the defense is just playing better. Orlov and Jensen had a rough start to the year somewhat uncharacteristically. Gustafsson wasn't nearly as effective as now. Carlson was making a bunch of mistakes. TVR has been his normal solid self. Even Irwin has been fine in a 6D role.

Pre-Thanksgiving they were 23rd in xGF% at 5v5 at 47%. Since Thanksgiving they are 2nd at 58%. Most of that improvement came from the defensive end where they went from 2.72 xGA/60 to 2.09 xGA/60. They improved offensively but not to the same extent.

If only I had any faith in John Carlson not falling apart in the postseason again, should they make it.

Even though the improvement on the defense has fueled our recent great play I'm still worried about Backstrom and Wilson coming back off major injuries.

Those two aren't depth pieces and I wonder how we'll manage the lines once they get back in.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Even though the improvement on the defense has fueled our recent great play I'm still worried about Backstrom and Wilson coming back off major injuries.

Those two aren't depth pieces and I wonder how we'll manage the lines once they get back in.
If they split up Strome and Ovie, I'm going to be quite upset.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
You know the players don't care what the GM says about their play? Even he said they'd been playing better since Oshie returned (which followed a 4 game losing streak and 5 losses in 6 games). Then they went on a tear.

View attachment 625788

In that article GMBM called out individual players, laid it out as far as how the season is going to go, and fired a shot across the bow to everyone with a contract expiring at the end of the season.

I guarantee you every player read it or heard about it. When the boss is talking about your future you pay attention.

Fun fact: The Caps are 14-7-1 with Oshie in the lineup (108pt pace).

The lines have been shuffling quite a bit all year, and by definition Oshie coming back shuffled them again. CMM was also sent down around the same time, iirc. So lines gelling over time is likely a minor factor.

IMO this is mostly a case of "message received" and some heart and soul guys adding character and drive. The problem this organization has always had is complacency after reaching a regular season goal. So it's possible they could stumble or slump after finally reaching a playoff spot.

Lavi had better be on the lookout...
Fun fact: Oshie has only played 22 of the Caps 35 games so far and will likely miss the next couple at least. He’s on pace to play in just 35 regular season games. That stat is more relevant than the 108-point pace.

Whether veterans respond to a GMs rant is open for discussion. I just think it has less impact than you believe.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Fun fact: Oshie has only played 22 of the Caps 35 games so far and will likely miss the next couple at least. He’s on pace to play in just 35 regular season games. That stat is more relevant than the 108-point pace.

Whether veterans respond to a GMs rant is open for discussion. I just think it has less impact than you believe.

You're entitled to your opinion.

How many games Oshie has missed is irrelevant to the question of when the team started turning it around. Their record with him in the lineup adds to the data suggesting his return was significant.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Fun fact: Oshie has only played 22 of the Caps 35 games so far and will likely miss the next couple at least. He’s on pace to play in just 35 regular season games.
Explain that math to me? If he’s played in just under 63% of games so far, he’s surely on pace for 51/52 games across the 82 game season? If of course injuries worked that way, which they don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad