GDT: Caps vs Rangers 7pm ET Feb 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're going to have to at least formulate a more refined off-ice training plan for 19. Something largely revolving around mobility/flexibility/explosiveness with less taxing strength involvement I'd guess. The question becomes whether something like that is something he can still grind through. What is his training pain threshold or his limitations? Games are one thing and sufficient training another. Often it's the preparation that can no longer be withstood. Realistically he may be managing it as well as they can but is this a performance level he's comfortable with? Is he capable of preparing better or differently? The adrenaline of competition is one thing but it becomes a losing war when the ability to fully prepare and generally function the same way they always have is in decline. He's got obvious limitations. If he's ruled out surgery is this realistically the best fitness level he can reach? If so it's not going to cut it. There's got to be some sort of plan and not just hope.

In light of other manageable issues being pretty clearly botched you wonder if even that is a realistic targeted goal for them. They don't seem to be of that mindset and that more than anything more quickly erodes an organization in decline. Backstrom is far from alone in being in very poor form most nights and no one else has an excuse. They don't seem to grasp where they're at and how long it's being ongoing. They just show up, play and do the same things over and over again. Good luck with that. There's keeping it simple and believing but more attuned, self-aware teams will decimate them with superior, more refined form. It's really as simple as that. Their careless really should put even qualifying for the playoffs in jeopardy.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yeah I noticed the Backstrom number last night and just got a little sad. You can’t even really say he should have got more ice time since he’s laboring so much and not contributing to anything dangerous offensively.

I’m struggling to see a path forward with him in the top 6. It’s not rust any more, he’s played 20 games and has had months to get into shape. His hip just isn’t allowing him to play any more and it stinks. I don’t know what the team can do about it. LTIRement is an option but if he’s not in constant pain or w/e would he go for that? Hockey players have a lot of pride and I doubt he wants to go out that way.

He's the 2nd highest paid player on the team, if he's not delivering top line minutes, we're going to suffer in the results.

I love me some Nick Backie but he is likely done and over, especially without surgery on the hip. I'm glad he won a Cup in DC but LTIR Retirement is the only legit path forward if the team is actually serious about competing.

Thanks for everything you gave us Nick.
cut.jpg

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Some data to chew on and spit out:

Among 295 skaters that have played 600+ minutes 5v5 Tom Wilson ranks seventh-last among forwards in On-Ice Shots/60. Their highest-ranked on-ice shot pace 5v5 player in that group is Carlson at 110th. Hagelin (!!!) is their best forward at 135th. The next highest forward is Ovechkin at 179th and then Kuznetsov at 235th. Those are the only four forwards that have played that amount to date. Hathaway will soon join them and would become their highest-pace 5v5 on-ice shot producer. Overall McMichael leads regulars and would seem to now be the first man to sit. Sprong is third and already sitting. Overall team 5v5 Shots/60 is 15th but only STL/DAL/NYR are worse among playoff teams.

The Caps are tops in the league in scoring first at 35. They're also tied for the least trailing first games with CGY/CAR, who have played three fewer. But their Points% when scoring first is eleventh-worst and only NJD/ARI have more regulation losses when scoring first. The only playoff teams with a worse Points% when scoring first are LAK/STL. That's a STL team that has the best Points% when trailing first. WSH's record when trailing first is 16th but the only playoff teams worse are CGY/DAL. Only eight teams have fewer trailing first wins and none are playoff teams (they're tied with CGY/DAL/NJD with just six).

After tonight they're 10-9-4 against current playoff teams (w/ DAL included over EDM). They started the season 6-1-3 and have gone 4-8-1 since 11/28. The four wins were vs. NSH (twice), PIT in OT and the DAL rout.

They're a fringe team with little apparent strength beyond being a generally good road team and having fair 5v5 defensive numbers. That's generally the impact of the coaching staff's priorities but it comes at the expense of any substantial ceiling. It feels a lot like Hunter hockey, albeit more up-ice and preventative than parking the bus. But similarly glib and hands-off when it comes to offensive fundamentals or execution in any sense. It's a recipe for points and getting into the playoffs but little more. And maybe not even that.
As I’ve said, Wilson does not drive play, he’s a nice complementary player if he has good linemates. I would consider putting him back with 8-92 if you’re going to get anything out of him and put Sheary with 91-19.

My only concern with trading Tom this off-season (if there’s a taker who would offer s prime return) is the effect on the locker room. He’s a generally good guy and team player, well-liked. From an on-ice perspective he can be replaced on the PK.

It seems to me that he has gotten better at properly placing his hits, so I don’t know if he can revive that intimidating part of his game. In just don’t see defensemen hearing footsteps any more like they used to, and he doesn’t have the skill set to make up for that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps need to cut ties with Sammy. It's a pipe dream if he becomes a #1 goalie with this team. Ironic how Sammy was projected to be a #1 goalie and VV was projected to be a backup, yet Vitek has been the better goalie. Sammy has digressed for a 2nd season in a row compared to his rookie year(this season the Caps defense is better than last season). Vitek has actually improved from his rookie year.

why doesn’t your boy Murray get credit there?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's the 2nd highest paid player on the team, if he's not delivering top line minutes, we're going to suffer in the results.

I love me some Nick Backie but he is likely done and over, especially without surgery on the hip. I'm glad he won a Cup in DC but LTIR Retirement is the only legit path forward if the team is actually serious about competing.

cut.jpg

not sure he wants to hang ‘em up….not unless he’s in actual pain can I see that happening. Otherwise you think he’s missing Ovy’s run?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Had to watch this when I got home from work. Thank God I didn't watch this pathetic excuse of an effort live. The Caps looked like they forgot that their break was over. As someone said earlier ..."like a sloth on anti-depressants".

They looked like we cared more about them winning than they did.

Done with Sammy. If Montreal really is interested in him, send him to them with another forward [Hags?] to get some cap relief and find a goalie.

Chelios and Messier spilled the truth on long breaks and I agree with them. Don't even have to be a professional athlete to know a week of rest is nice, but you'll feel it first day back at the gym or such, especially if running. That's no excuse for motivation unless they are just that old. We all knew there is nothing going on but having a vacation during the break with some practice. I'm not done with Sammie yet unless someone really wants to to pay. I say this because he has needs a real goalie coach. We can have prime Brodeur and Murray would break him. I feel your frustration though, but we'll see. To me, they look like an old team hoping to get in and saving what energy they have to do something. Essentially, it's the Sharks team that were ousted in the first round by Edmonton. Flower might help because he's already set in his ways and don't need much if any coaching, however his price will be extremely high. I feel the same frustration too. I didn't watch the game from work, however I missed the first trying to add regular ESPN and wasted my money on that performance.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
why doesn’t your boy Murray get credit there?

Because I think even a lesser talented VV would have improved more with a better goalie coach. Both VV/Sammy are weak on the mental side of goaltending. When Mitch Korn came into the picture with Holtby/Grubauer, he completely helped elevate their game. Both goalies had the physical tools, but Korn specifically helped both to immensely improve their mental game. I have not seen that from Scotch Tape Murray. He's at best an assistant goalie coach, that shouldn't have been promoted to head goalie coach. Fraudsythe/Scotch Tape Murray are prime examples of Ted hiring cheap coaches. We are seeing/getting exactly what Ted paid for!

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

cut.jpg

The truth hurts and I wish it wasn't so. Hip injuries are tough to recover from too, especially getting older.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Because I think even a lesser talented VV would have improved more with a better goalie coach. Both VV/Sammy are weak on the mental side of goaltending. When Mitch Korn came into the picture with Holtby/Grubauer, he completely helped elevate their game. Both goalies had the physical tools, but Korn specifically helped both to immensely improve their mental game. I have not seen that from Scotch Tape Murray. He's at best an assistant goalie coach, that shouldn't have been promoted to head goalie coach. Fraudsythe/Scotch Tape Murray are prime examples of Ted hiring cheap coaches. We are seeing/getting exactly what Ted paid for!

well done, the response I expected….#blamemurray

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
As I’ve said, Wilson does not drive play, he’s a nice complementary player if he has good linemates. I would consider putting him back with 8-92 if you’re going to get anything out of him and put Sheary with 91-19.

My only concern with trading Tom this off-season (if there’s a taker who would offer s prime return) is the effect on the locker room. He’s a generally good guy and team player, well-liked. From an on-ice perspective he can be replaced on the PK.

It seems to me that he has gotten better at properly placing his hits, so I don’t know if he can revive that intimidating part of his game. In just don’t see defensemen hearing footsteps any more like they used to, and he doesn’t have the skill set to make up for that.

He's the last person I would consider trading and yes I'm a big fan of Wilson. If you trade a guy like him it needs to be to a Western team who will drastically over pay. The BS from the Rangers game last year neutered him a bit this year and I can't blame him. Why take pay cuts in fines when others aren't motivated. Imho, he's the last of this team's problems. Yes, please put him back with Ovy and Kuzy.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I don't know if any of you remember or watched the 80s movie "Uncommon Valor", but our assistant coaching staff is the discount surplus and not the premium menu items. You're exactly right!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
He's the last person I would consider trading and yes I'm a big fan of Wilson. If you trade a guy like him it needs to be to a Western team who will drastically over pay. The BS from the Rangers game last year neutered him a bit this year and I can't blame him. Why take pay cuts in fines when others aren't motivated. Imho, he's the last of this team's problems. Yes, please put him back with Ovy and Kuzy.

Everyone talks about about retooling this team significantly this off-season or whenever. This is the kind of trade they would have to consider to do that - obviously depending on what you could get. He and Kuzy probably have the most value. I think this team could be fine without Wilson, not so much without Kuzy.

We are stuck with old players on bloated contracts that no one else is gonna want.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd hire a proper long-term coach, one capable of getting more out of skilled players generally, before making that call. As-is I don't know they can believe they've done everything to maximize the player and the same goes for the goalies. They're not cornerstones but they were former first and second round picks. The organization invested a lot in them yet hasn't altogether done everything to best develop them. It's regrettable regardless of competitiveness or makeup or anything. Sustainably good organizations are a lot more detailed and refined in some of these areas. They've long had the raw ability to overcome some weak fundamentals but these questions will increasingly have to be dealt with. We are perhaps seeing just how undiversified, unresponsive and underprepared they are organizationally for tasks at hand and the likely issues going forward. All of which makes costly but relatively convenient trade deadline additions all the more likely so as to paper over faults. I doubt they have any appetite for taking a step back, in part because I don't know if they know how they really got to be good to begin with. It was a lot of luck and I guess it can basically become that elusive.

They're so clunky and sloppy that I don't know how they can not be frustrated all the time, particularly the top PP unit players. Execution is awful most nights. Figure it out already. It's three months. That's 30 games or more than a third of the season. They have roughly that many games left and it seems likely they're much closer to the middle third team than the first.

Oshie and Mantha stick out as more likely off-season forward deals toward restructuring. Eller as well. All for the sake of getting younger and faster. All three aren't really the issue per se and elsewhere they'll do just fine. It's the mix and the process that seem most at fault. Mostly the process given just how fundamentally sloppy they've proven to be both 5v5 and on the PP. Like what are they even thinking most of the time? Where's the ownership or shared understanding of what's needed? There's a lot in the vibe of this team overall that should be pretty concerning. It does not seem likely to withstand much competitive scrutiny.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Everyone talks about about retooling this team significantly this off-season or whenever. This is the kind of trade they would have to consider to do that - obviously depending on what you could get. He and Kuzy probably have the most value. I think this team could be fine without Wilson, not so much without Kuzy.

We are stuck with old players on bloated contracts that no one else is gonna want.

The truth is we may need to get rid of Kuzy too. I thought for a while there may be a bridge option where Ovie plays on a playoff team till he is done. That is looking less and less likely to me. The question needs to be asked, will Kuzy be here the next time the Caps are a legitimate SC contender?

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
I'd hire a proper long-term coach, one capable of getting more out of skilled players generally, before making that call. As-is I don't know they can believe they've done everything to maximize the player and the same goes for the goalies. They're not cornerstones but they were former first and second round picks. The organization invested a lot in them yet hasn't altogether done everything to best develop them. It's regrettable regardless of competitiveness or makeup or anything. Sustainably good organizations are a lot more detailed and refined in some of these areas. They've long had the raw ability to overcome some weak fundamentals but these questions will increasingly have to be dealt with. We are perhaps seeing just how undiversified, unresponsive and underprepared they are organizationally for tasks at hand and the likely issues going forward. All of which makes costly but relatively convenient trade deadline additions all the more likely so as to paper over faults. I doubt they have any appetite for taking a step back, in part because I don't know if they know how they really got to be good to begin with. It was a lot of luck and I guess it can basically become that elusive.

They're so clunky and sloppy that I don't know how they can not be frustrated all the time, particularly the top PP unit players. Execution is awful most nights. Figure it out already. It's three months. That's 30 games or more than a third of the season. They have roughly that many games left and it seems likely they're much closer to the middle third team than the first.

Oshie and Mantha stick out as more likely off-season forward deals toward restructuring. Eller as well. All for the sake of getting younger and faster. All three aren't really the issue per se and elsewhere they'll do just fine. It's the mix and the process that seem most at fault. Mostly the process given just how fundamentally sloppy they've proven to be both 5v5 and on the PP. Like what are they even thinking most of the time? Where's the ownership or shared understanding of what's needed? There's a lot in the vibe of this team overall that should be pretty concerning. It does not seem likely to withstand much competitive scrutiny.

IF they are serious about not simply withering away, this seems to be the appropriate first step before making most personnel decisions. A new HC and coaching staff will implement game strategies appropriate to today's game and the skill sets of the (future) roster. Due to age, injuries, cost and/or performance, some of the current roster will have to go regardless of who comes in. But a number of current players might be able to fill roles on a squad constructed to play on a team not managed by Lavi.

This team is good. Not a juggernaut but not Coyotes-level bad. Although the results were a bit better than their play, we saw their potential early in the season. Can the right coaching return Carlson to his Norris-sniffing play? As far as Wilson, I hope mgmt knows what happened to him. It's gotta be more than neutering by the league. Since it's much easier to change coaches, that'd be the first thing to try before moving out many of the current roster.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
The truth is we may need to get rid of Kuzy too. I thought for a while there may be a bridge option where Ovie plays on a playoff team till he is done. That is looking less and less likely to me. The question needs to be asked, will Kuzy be here the next time the Caps are a legitimate SC contender?
It's probably not anytime soon, so Kuznetsov can play out his contract here. Unless they magically find a top tier 1c somewhere else. Kuzy is rocking a very solid cap hit for a 1c, it wont be easy to find a replacement at his price.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
It’s funny because usually when someone posts a player is done after they underwent surgery I think it’s a total over reaction. Especially a world class player like Backstrom. But I totally agree. He is done.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Caps are done as a dominant force for foreseeable future. Backstrom would probably be back to his better self next season (kinda like Niskanen managed to do). Should be capable of playing respectable 3c instead of Eller. Another C will be Jimi. They can actually still keep calling Backy 2nd. Maybe he will be good enough for 2C. I guess they can form middle-6. Mantha, CMM, more middling options. Protas? Oshie or not, doesnt look like Tampa of yesteryear, right? Too old, too soft, too European. Forsberg will be right at home.

I dont feel any pain about it though. I guess with another coach we can still get some very entertaining games.

PS: Doesnt even look grim on paper. I just dont think thats cup capable roster.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Caps are done as a dominant force for foreseeable future. Backstrom would probably be back to his better self next season (kinda like Niskanen managed to do). Should be capable of playing respectable 3c instead of Eller. Another C will be Jimi. They can actually still keep calling Backy 2nd. Maybe he will be good enough for 2C. I guess they can form middle-6. Mantha, CMM, more middling options. Protas? Oshie or not, doesnt look like Tampa of yesteryear, right? Too old, too soft, too European. Forsberg will be right at home.

I dont feel any pain about it though. I guess with another coach we can still get some very entertaining games.

PS: Doesnt even look grim on paper. I just dont think thats cup capable roster.
I think Backstrom might think long and hard about his career this summer.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The problem with this team is that all of the top players except Kuzy are slow as shit. Yet, individually it feels wrong to trade any of them. Bäckström and Ovi are obviously untouchable. Carlson is a top point-getter from the blue line and with Oshie in we have gotten points in 16/18 games and he is a leader and igniter in the room. Still, those are four reallly slow guys. Also 4 of our top 5 players. It´s a cunundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad