Caps vs. Pens part ii

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is Crosby even in the top 10 best players playing right now?

He's definitely not playing like a top 10 player. In fact I don't even think it's hard to name 10 players I would 100% take over Sid for this season.

Now obviously take that within the context it was meant. It's how Sid's playing right now. I could probably rattle off 15 names. One of them is definitely Ovy who was quite noticeable on backchecks tonight.

But please... emotions are high right now. Nobody take that out of context. :laugh:

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I swear it's like you and Mondello didn't watch the game. At all.

This team isn't overrated. And I like the response they had after Letang went down. Everyone whines and complains when they don't do anything. Well, they did something, and didn't really go over the line. They were the better team 5 on 5 this game. And then after a bunch of questionable calls and non-calls, that 5-on-3 with 4 minutes left was an absolute joke.

I hate complaining about officiating on a nightly basis. But this game could've been reffed better by a brain-damaged sea urchin. It was the worst called game I've seen in a long while.

Everyone who wants to pile on after a game like this, go ahead. We all know you will. But this team has been playing better hockey of late even if the win-column isn't showing it. I'm tired of seeing the negativity around this board.

Well said.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby and Malkin are both starting to look like they are on the other side of their best days. Can't expect them to dominate night in night out anymore. That's when you realize the rest of the roster is nothing special. First time in a long time where I don't consider this team capable of beating anyone if they're on their game. Comparing to the previous era, they feel like the pens circa 97, very obviously not the team to beat anymore.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's funny. We seem to have fixed the goalie, but at the cost of our two best players. I don't know if it's the system that's too passive, without enough movement, enough speed, or what...but 87 and 71 look quite ordinary MANY nights nowadays.

Why bother going after rentals? We're a broken franchise. Our meal tickets are no longer the dynamic duo. They're mortal. Some nights, extremely mortal. 1 goal vs. Wsh all season. Yes they have a much better system now, but that's not a GREAT defensive team from an individual standpoint. Good yes, but shouldn't we be able to do more against them?

This team will continue to spin its wheels unless/until they start asking the hard questions about what's wrong.

And the veterans really didn't help tonight. Scuderi gave the puck away right to Ovi. Bad penalty by Adams. Bad penalty by Kunitz. Bad penalty by Letang. Yeah we responded tonight, and played with some passion. But this GROUP can't get it done. We've known this since '10, and we're still here.

Please tweak the roster, JR. No rentals. We need a refresh (at least).

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014

This team isn't overrated. And I like the response they had after Letang went down. Everyone whines and complains when they don't do anything. Well, they did something, and didn't really go over the line. They were the better team 5 on 5 this game. And then after a bunch of questionable calls and non-calls, that 5-on-3 with 4 minutes left was an absolute joke.

I hate complaining about officiating on a nightly basis. But this game could've been reffed better by a brain-damaged sea urchin. It was the worst called game I've seen in a long while.

Everyone who wants to pile on after a game like this, go ahead. We all know you will. But this team has been playing better hockey of late even if the win-column isn't showing it. I'm tired of seeing the negativity around this board.

Nice post. :handclap:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't know which is more frustrating, the thought that Sid is playing through a wrist injury that should have been operated on, or the thought that he just doesn't have it this year.

Geno doesn't look right since coming back from the injury either. It's not his battle level or his compete - he just doesn't seem to have an extra gear that he usually does. He looks gassed real easy on his shifts.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
He's definitely not playing like a top 10 player. In fact I don't even think it's hard to name 10 players I would 100% take over Sid for this season.

Now obviously take that within the context it was meant. It's how Sid's playing right now. I could probably rattle off 15 names. One of them is definitely Ovy who was quite noticeable on backchecks tonight.

But please... emotions are high right now. Nobody take that out of context. :laugh:

Its just sad, because when he was "Sid the kid" he was so dominant 1v1 1v2, but now he has really lost a step.

He has never been the same player after the concussions

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I agree and disagree, the game could have been officiated better but at the end of the day, the Penguins lost the game and quite frankly, this team is embarrassing. People can want any coach fired and we can bring in any coach but the fact of the matter is, our players coach themselves. Not too long ago MJ said we want to shoot more on the PP, did the end of the game prove that? No, I believe Johnston wants a shot first PP but at the end of the day, the diva star players of the Pittsburgh Penguins go out there and do what they want anyways. That's our team's biggest downfall, not Bylsma, not Fleury. The fact that Crosby, Malkin and Letang only show up when they want to show up. It's frustrating, I have lost a lot of respect for Sid and Geno, I'm tired of so many people kissing their ***** just because they're considered the best players in the world. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY GET NIGHTS OFF THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THEIR PLAY TONIGHT, NONE!

This team is in big trouble, we're not even guaranteed a playoff spot and the way we're going, we'll be lucky to get there. What a kick in the ass that would be if we miss and we won't have our 1st as a consolation prize.

This team is trash.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Letang was the reason we were down a goal

Letang was the reason we were tied

Letang was the reason we were down 2-1

Letang was the reason we were down 3-1

For a dude having an A+++ year. That's quite a weird roller coaster ride tonight that started shaky, then fun with loops, then the track derailed and we all died. :laugh:

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Malkin still seems to dominate physically, with skating, etc.....but he just can't seem to finish as often. If he could capitalize on his scoring chances, etc, hed be one of the best to ever play

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Crosby and Malkin are both starting to look like they are on the other side of their best days. Can't expect them to dominate night in night out anymore. That's when you realize the rest of the roster is nothing special. First time in a long time where I don't consider this team capable of beating anyone if they're on their game. Comparing to the previous era, they feel like the pens circa 97, very obviously not the team to beat anymore.

If any of this true then Zetterberg's, Datsyuk's and Sedin's will have better longevity.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

Interesting comment. I'm generally fairly optimistic and positive--at least as far as these boards go. However, the fact is (or at least as it appears to me) is that we're a decent team--one of probably 10 in the league. Not bad I guess, but there was a time in which competing for the Cup was our expectation, not simply hanging in there with the Caps and the Islanders.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette

Agree. The team has issues. First and foremost IMO is the play of their captain. However, they have looked better and the game easily could have been their's today. Unfortunately that wont prevent all the internet coaches and GM's on this board from ascribing all the teams ills to MJ's line combos or rather irrelevant 4th line players. People need to relax and give this team some time to gel and work out the wrinkles. GMJR may make moves yet, Crosby may get his head out of his ass, Kunitz might pick it up. Alot can happen before the playoffs.

Acquizitor*

This team needs a coach like Tortorella, a barking dog basically.

The most depressing game I have watched this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad