Caps vs. Pens part ii

Status
Not open for further replies.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Too much perimeter stuff for the Pens when they enter the offensive zone. The puck carrier is always coming in and veering off toward the boards and looking for a pass backwards. Nothing going to the net, no one going to the net. Everything gets chipped behind or sent back out to the point. No mid-range stuff or anything close to the blue line. They're not big enough or tough enough to make a difference in those areas...and the times they manage to actually get into those areas, good things happen (like Downie's goal tonight).

But overall, their offense (and this dates back to the Therrien days), just is not able to get anything/anyone in front of the goalie in the offensive zone.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If the powerplay is something other than ass Crosby and Malkin probably have another 10 points apiece and we're not even questioning their play.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
For all the sky is falling talk, I think a lot of our problems could be solved by the coaches getting their heads out of their ***** and making the tough roster decisions that need to be made.

They won't do it. Whether because of Sid or them or both who knows, but it clearly won't happen. The only way it happens is if Rutherford makes it happen.

When you are the best player in the world - you don't get that. If you are Michael Jordan, you are the headline of every game if you don't come through for your team. If you are Tom Brady, you start getting questioned after going 2-2 in Superbowls (before this year) instead of praised for winning 2 and getting to 4.

That's just the way life works, man. Right or wrong. And hey... it's probably wrong to do it.

I think it's fair to question why Sid isn't playing at his usual level this season. I also think it's fair to say that many are going overboard with the criticism. He's still on pace for 85-90ish points. That's a high level of play. It's just not *his* level of play.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Feels like they just can't get over the hump and beat good teams this year for the most part. They do enough to hang around in the games but just don't have enough to get over the hump and win.

Sid is having a bad year. I'll leave it at that. He's a pretty dedicated guy that can certainly bounce back at some point going forward.

That's how I took the last couple playoffs, CH. Then I see the patterns of Sid's game and I'm realizing the consistency is actually where he is today. The points will happen in the regular season but until he turns it to like 2 more levels higher, this team won't go anywhere. We absolutely need him to be at his best.

So yes.. you make a very good point. But he's #87. He's the best in the world. We go nowhere without him. And this whole "Meh it's a bad season." is not a legit excuse. This is going on more than just this season. Teams are shutting him down when it matters.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
So far in this collective metldown, I've seen people say:

Crosby sucks, is past his prime, and isn't a top-10 player in the league.

Geno sucks and can't do anything without James Neal.

Hornqvist/Spaling for Neal trade is the cause of our "downfall".

Pining for the old regime, including Bylsma.

Pining for Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen.

We're worse than we've EVER been in the Malkin/Crosby era.

Pull it together boys and girls. What's the next asinine nonsense that someone is going to spew up?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If the powerplay is something other than ass Crosby and Malkin probably have another 10 points apiece and we're not even questioning their play.

It's not just that it's ass but that we never get any powerplays too. Hard to play at 100 point paces when we never ever get PP's.

penguins2946*

The powerplay is ass a lot due to Crosby and Malkin (more so Sid). If Sid wasn't playing like ass, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because the PP wouldn't be ass.

It says a lot of bad things where Crosby has the best wingers he has ever had in his career and can't even break a PPG.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That's how I took the last couple playoffs, CH. Then I see the patterns of Sid's game and I'm realizing the consistency is actually where he is today. The points will happen in the regular season but until he turns it to like 2 more levels higher, this team won't go anywhere. We absolutely need him to be at his best.

So yes.. you make a very good point. But he's #87. He's the best in the world. We go nowhere without him. And this whole "Meh it's a bad season." is not a legit excuse. This is going on more than just this season. Teams are shutting him down when it matters.

Well the jury is still out on him until the playoffs come. And in any case we need to put him in a better position to succeed. Kunitz is not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad