Caps vs Nats

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
baseball is much better to watch on tv than hockey. hockey is probably the number one sport for being better live than on tv.

The have to disagree with you there, hockey is better live and better on TV. Actually the only medium that is any good for baseball is the radio, because you do other things while the game is in the background.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Baseball is fun in person if you have no interest in the game and just want to drink in warm weather. I used to get smashed at PetCo Park in San Diego when I lived there. I lived there for 5 years and couldn't name a single player who was on the team.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah, agreed. The only times the Wizards have big crowds are when LeBron or Kobe are in town, or the playoffs.
I think the Caps are more popular than the Wizards but the Terps/Hoyas/NCAA/General NBA is much more popular.
DC hockey interest is all Caps were as basketball is spread out.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Baseball is fun in person if you have no interest in the game and just want to drink in warm weather. I used to get smashed at PetCo Park in San Diego when I lived there. I lived there for 5 years and couldn't name a single player who was on the team.

Baseball is usually a good time at the ballpark regardless. I'm a baseball fan and really enjoy going to the games. But there is enough downtime in baseball that there is plenty of time for socializing and drinking and such so whether you care about the game or not you still have a good time.

BlueIsTheColour

Jul 17, 2014
Wizards can't even sell out Verizon. On other hand every caps game is jammed.

I went to s wizards game in December and no one was in the 400s . empty seats everywhere.

he wasnt asking about attendance he's asking about popularity. wizards have many more fans are much more popular than the caps. remember when the caps sucked before ovii and early in his career? i do and MCI center was empty.

and lol at thinking the nats are more popular than the redskins

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wizards can't even sell out Verizon. On other hand every caps game is jammed.

I went to s wizards game in December and no one was in the 400s . empty seats everywhere.

Not only that it seems the fans come out to see the OTHER team as opposed to the Wiz.

Its been like that as long as I started following them in the Ruland/Jeff Malone/Hot plate Williams days.

Just so may different basketball options in the DC area I think. Back in the day it seemed the Hoyas and Terps were far more popular than the Bullets/Wiz.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I think the rankings depend on what part of the DC media market you're gauging..
Inner city DC has different tastes & demographics than the wealthy suburban counties of Northern Virginia. Caps and Nats gain popularity when you leave the city and get into NoVa, Wizards' popularity declines..

My experience, I think the consistent overlap would be Redskins. They're most popular both in, and around, the city. Maryland suburbs have love for Caps over Nats, because Maryland ppl still generally prefer the Orioles..

Sep 19, 2008
he wasnt asking about attendance he's asking about popularity. wizards have many more fans are much more popular than the caps. remember when the caps sucked before ovii and early in his career? i do and MCI center was empty.

and lol at thinking the nats are more popular than the redskins

As bobrouse said after you there are no wizards fans in this town. The people show up to actively cheer against the home team.

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I think the rankings depend on what part of the DC media market you're gauging..
Inner city DC has different tastes & demographics than the wealthy suburban counties of Northern Virginia. Caps and Nats gain popularity when you leave the city and get into NoVa, Wizards' popularity declines..

My experience, I think the consistent overlap would be Redskins. They're most popular both in, and around, the city. Maryland suburbs have love for Caps over Nats, because Maryland ppl still generally prefer the Orioles..

From someone who grew up in NoVa and now lives close to the Verizon Center, I think this is a well thought out response.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
I think it depends on who is winning "the best" at the current moment. DC is probably the ultimate bandwagon city. The Redskins are an amazing outlier in that they have kept a fan base despite being complete failures for almost 20 years. But by and large, in the DMV, everyone follows the winner in just about everything.

BlueIsTheColour

Jul 17, 2014
As bobrouse said after you there are no wizards fans in this town. The people show up to actively cheer against the home team.

lol thats because they suck. on the rare occasions they are playing well there are plenty of wizards fans in the arena. same with the caps. but when the caps suck nobody goes.( i rememeber going to shockingly empty arenas before ovi showed up.) and the caps have such a problem with fans cheering for the away team they had to ban sales outside of teh area.

so if you truly think there are no wizards fans in DC then you dont really have a clear picture of the DC sports landscape.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
lol thats because they suck. on the rare occasions they are playing well there are plenty of wizards fans in the arena. same with the caps. but when the caps suck nobody goes.( i rememeber going to shockingly empty arenas before ovi showed up.) and the caps have such a problem with fans cheering for the away team they had to ban sales outside of teh area.

so if you truly think there are no wizards fans in DC then you dont really have a clear picture of the DC sports landscape.

lots of teams do that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad