Caps vs Nats

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Hello Washingtonians.. I have a question i'd love to ask you guys.

I know in WASH, redskins are #1.. but i would love to know who is #2 in washington? I remember a few yrs ago, Caps were ahead of Nats cause Nats were still new and not that good.. But now the Nats have gotten great, and popular, too. Bryce Harper is a star and they have become so great and very fun to watch.

But now that Ovy's got 500, and caps are tearing up the NHL, i am just curious.. Are the Nats still way ahead now of the Caps still, OR is it close.. or is it possible the Caps might be a tad ahead? They have the best team in the NHL by far, are fun to watch, and have OVY..

Assuming wizards are #4, how close is it between caps and nats for #2 in washington?

If i had to guess, it'd go like this.. Am i right?

1- Skins

2- Nats

3- Caps
4- Wizards

Thans guys.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The skins are definitely number one as it doesn't matter if they are doing well or badly.

As far as the next three teams it really depends on who is having a good year. I'd slot the capitals in second if the bullets/nationals sucked. But lets say all three are doing well. I would probably go nationals second and then the bullets by a slight margin over the capitals. All that IMHO.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
honestly i think nationals are above wizards. to me it just seems more like a baseball town instead of basketball

imo its
skins
caps/nats
wizards
dc united

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
The skins are definitely number one as it doesn't matter if they are doing well or badly.

As far as the next three teams it really depends on who is having a good year. I'd slot the capitals in second if the bullets/nationals sucked. But lets say all three are doing well. I would probably go nationals second and then the bullets by a slight margin over the capitals. All that IMHO.

I agree with caps/nats being 2nd depending on who's having a better season. gotta give it to caps right now for obvious reasons.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I agree with caps/nats being 2nd depending on who's having a better season. gotta give it to caps right now for obvious reasons.

Wow blades, are you serious? So if both caps and nats had 3 upcoming equally great seasons. Nats go 103-59 in each season.. make it to world series 2x and lose in NLCS the other time.. Then Caps for next 3 seasons go 54-13-15 for 123 pts.. make it to SCF 2x and lose in 1st round.. then u think Caps would beat Nats in popularity?

I wish this is true, but for some reason, i think i'm wrong. I mean, baseball is america's fav pastime and hockey is only winter/canadian sport.. PLUS, am i wrong to think Bryce Harper is way more loved in Wash than Ovy, or is it close?

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I have to say, I think the Caps are the MOST popular among the 40+ crowd, those of us who have followed Washington sports since the 70s. Guys like me (mid 40s) are utterly obsessed with seeing this team winning their first championship ever.

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I wish this is true, but for some reason, i think i'm wrong. I mean, baseball is america's fav pastime and hockey is only winter/canadian sport.. PLUS, am i wrong to think Bryce Harper is way more loved in Wash than Ovy, or is it close?

I think when all is said and done, Ovechkin will be the MOST popular figure in DC sports history -- ahead of Jurgenson, Theismann, Riggins, Monk, Unseld, even Darrel Green.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
I think when all is said and done, Ovechkin will be the MOST popular figure in DC sports history -- ahead of Jurgenson, Theismann, Riggins, Monk, Unseld, even Darrel Green.

Wow sycamore, that is big... a hockey player to boot. and you've got a guy named Bryce Harper, who is the best player in all of baseball.. a homegrown american too.. I swear to god, i always think that if Ovy was to walk alone in Downtown washington, that hardly anyone would recognize him.. and here you are saying he will become the most popular athlete in WASH history?

Amazing!

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The Nats are way more popular than the Caps. It goes something like this:

Skins

Nats

Caps/Wiz

United

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Unfortunetly Wash is the same as just about every American city. The NHL will come in 4th if all things are equal competitive wise. I can buy the NFL, they are a giant. MLB is slowly coming down but still have a huge draw. The NHL should be 3rd, they have a much better product then the NBA, but they do a horrible job of selling the game.

The NBA is garbage, the college game is sooo much better, but they have done a great job selling their players. Most of the NBA fans I know, have little or no knowledge of basketball, but they are hooked on their favorite players or team. The NHL can't get past hockey fans.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Unfortunetly Wash is the same as just about every American city. The NHL will come in 4th if all things are equal competitive wise. I can buy the NFL, they are a giant. MLB is slowly coming down but still have a huge draw. The NHL should be 3rd, they have a much better product then the NBA, but they do a horrible job of selling the game.

The NBA is garbage, the college game is sooo much better, but they have done a great job selling their players. Most of the NBA fans I know, have little or no knowledge of basketball, but they are hooked on their favorite players or team. The NHL can't get past hockey fans.

Agree with all of this except I give the NHL a bit of a break because hockey is more demanding than those other games. I had a really telling convo with a friend recently who was saying he went to a hockey game but he was bored because everyone was attentively watching the game instead of chatting and hanging out. It's lame, I know, but I also get it. The action in MLB and NFL is slow so it's easy to be social and in NBA, they score every other second so even if you miss one play, you'll catch the next one. But hockey requires attention.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Agree with all of this except I give the NHL a bit of a break because hockey is more demanding than those other games. I had a really telling convo with a friend recently who was saying he went to a hockey game but he was bored because everyone was attentively watching the game instead of chatting and hanging out. It's lame, I know, but I also get it. The action in MLB and NFL is slow so it's easy to be social and in NBA, they score every other second so even if you miss one play, you'll catch the next one. But hockey requires attention.

True. I will also say that I think its harder to appreciate good hockey play. I think many have gone and thrown a basketball around. Not as many have tried ice skating, much less ice skating with a stick and puck. Having played, I watch NHL players control the puck, walk the line, saucer pass, on and on and realize how hard that is to master and master at the speed they are playing. I think its much easier for the common man to appreciate running and jumping with a ball.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Wow sycamore, that is big... a hockey player to boot. and you've got a guy named Bryce Harper, who is the best player in all of baseball.. a homegrown american too.. I swear to god, i always think that if Ovy was to walk alone in Downtown washington, that hardly anyone would recognize him.. and here you are saying he will become the most popular athlete in WASH history?

Amazing!

I'm a native Washingtonian and I have no idea who Bryce Harper is (nor do I care). In fact, a lot of the older fans consider the Orioles to be DC's baseball ream and don't really care about the Nats.

Hockey is such a vastly superior sport to baseball anyway. Baseball is pretty unwatchable, especially on TV.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
True. I will also say that I think its harder to appreciate good hockey play. I think many have gone and thrown a basketball around. Not as many have tried ice skating, much less ice skating with a stick and puck. Having played, I watch NHL players control the puck, walk the line, saucer pass, on and on and realize how hard that is to master and master at the speed they are playing. I think its much easier for the common man to appreciate running and jumping with a ball.

Good point.

The upshot of all this? We hockey fans are smarter than the average bear. :laugh:

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Skins....than Nats...than basketball....than Caps.

Caps are bigger than Wizards, but basketball, with college, is easily bigger.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The Nats are way more popular than the Caps. It goes something like this:

Skins

Nats

Caps/Wiz

United

I agree with this, and if the Wiz start pushing for more deep runs in the playoffs they will take #3 by themselves. And if KD comes next year they would be sharing the #2 spot with the Nats.

BlueIsTheColour

Jul 17, 2014
I'm a native Washingtonian and I have no idea who Bryce Harper is (nor do I care). In fact, a lot of the older fans consider the Orioles to be DC's baseball ream and don't really care about the Nats.

Hockey is such a vastly superior sport to baseball anyway. Baseball is pretty unwatchable, especially on TV.

baseball is much better to watch on tv than hockey. hockey is probably the number one sport for being better live than on tv.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad