Mar 9, 2010
8-19-77
90-92-14
10-20-65
26-83-43

9-2
27-74
44-4

If Chorney hadn't scored, would he be in tonight? Probably not. So why is he in tonight? One nice shot does not make him a better player than Nate Schmidt, especially against a quick Toronto team. I am baffled by the results-oriented thinking of the coaching staff.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Toronto skated circles around the Caps last game. Hoping for a little revenge tonight.

Schmidt should be in.

gmgm.gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I benched Matthews in fantasy so we're good.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
8-19-77
90-92-14
10-20-65
26-83-43

9-2
27-74
44-4

If Chorney hadn't scored, would he be in tonight? Probably not. So why is he in tonight? One nice shot does not make him a better player than Nate Schmidt, especially against a quick Toronto team. I am baffled by the results-oriented thinking of the coaching staff.

You don't sit someone after they had the gwg.

Trotz has said time and time again he needs to see results and this isn't a developmental league - and Nate Schmidt has done nothing except one secondary assists his past 20 games.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Trotz has said time and time again he needs to see results and this isn't a developmental league - and Nate Schmidt has done nothing except one secondary assists his past 20 games.

Seriously, how is this even questioned? It's called good management and coaching.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's called results-oriented thinking: what has he done better than Schmidt besides one shot from the point that happened to go in? Why is he more likely to be better tonight and going forward than Schmidt, especially against a fast team like Toronto?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Guess what, Pro sports are results oriented businesses. This shows a severe lack in understanding people and how to manage them if you're suggesting they bench a guy who just scored the game winner.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Does a backup G automatically get a start over a #1 because he won, or had 10 bells and pitched a shutout? Maybe we should leaf the Gs out of the discussion.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Does a backup G automatically get a start over a #1 because he won, or had 10 bells and pitched a shutout?

Nothing is automatic. It's a coach's decision. Pretty sure you get this and are just stirring the pot.

This is a 6/7 D swap, not your last line of Defense. Barely comparable IMO.

Why not ask if Vrana gets another game after scoring a goal? He did, and more ice time too the next night out.

This is nothing more than a harmless reward for Chorney and the usual suspects are sweating it. Hell, maybe 88 needs a kick in the pants from the Coach's viewpoint? Do you honestly have a problem with an early Jan game for Chorney? It's not like a top-5 guy is getting pulled for 4.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Nate Schmidt has done nothing except provide steady and reliable defense from the back-end, the most transition jump on the team, and excel at keeping the puck on the good half of the ice. Orpik/Schmidt has been one of the best 3rd pairing in the entire league, if not the very best.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Nate Schmidt has done nothing except provide steady and reliable defense from the back-end, the most transition jump on the team, and excel at keeping the puck on the good half of the ice. Orpik/Schmidt has been one of the best 3rd pairing in the entire league, if not the very best.

WTF is going on! I'm actually in agreement with you on this.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

If he was going that well he wouldn't be getting scratched multiple games in a row.

It's obvious Schmidt is the weak link in management/Trotz's eyes - and if they're going to make a move for a defender in upcoming months - Schmidt will be a full time scratch most likely - or moved.

I don't see what you see either. I think he's weak defensively - still makes dumb decisions - and offensively doesn't produce at all.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Let's see...last time Caps weren't interested in playing the Leaves at all and got rolled over and rolled on in an embarrassing fashion. Hoping a lesson was learned.

Also hoping more Caps and less Preds but I wont hold my breath. Thanks, Barry!

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

That's fine in the RS in January, but I hope that isn't the method of lineup determination in the postseason.

But I have almost no faith in this staff's ability to make in-series adjustments, so nothing would surpruse me.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If he was going that well he wouldn't be getting scratched multiple games in a row.
He gets occasionally scratched so Chorney can stay in game shape, and Chorney is getting a reward for scoring a goal. That's not an indictment of Schmidt in any fashion.

I don't see what you see either. I think he's weak defensively - still makes dumb decisions - and offensively doesn't produce at all.
The difference here is that the metrics back up what I (and others) see with the eye test.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
WTF is going on! I'm actually in agreement with you on this.

I don't see a lot to disagree with either in that post. Not sure how to validate the "best 3rd pair in the league" line but I'll play along. Helps having a solid guy in Orpik on the 3rd pair creating mismatches and 88's wheels are a bonus on top of it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

It's obvious Schmidt is the weak link in management/Trotz's eyes - and if they're going to make a move for a defender in upcoming months - Schmidt will be a full time scratch most likely - or moved.

Just about any bottom pair/line guy is subject to getting rotated out of any roster that's working toward depth and/or auditioning talent. Trotz tried to stick with a set roster all last year and it backfired as they got stale....just about this time. He'd be a fool to just do the same things and hope the players motivate themselves.

I hope he has something else up his sleeve.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Reading too much into this I think. If Chorney is average tonight and 88 isn't back next game, then maybe there's something there. I think 88 has improved defensively just like 9 has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad