Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Islanders 7:00

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Not if Orpik is out.

And they seem to be fixated on Kuznetsov becoming a 2C even though his center potential is like Derek Roy lite. Though in real life they do need a 2C and badly.

Even if he's out #2C is more important in my mind.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
True but don't forget that Caps had PP's also. After the 1st PP disaster I would have like to see some correction on the 2nd PP.

2nd PP- same problem as 1st.

Caps players are the same. Caps skills are the same as always. No correction.

I say coaching.

no offense, suds but you critique this game as if they would win them all. they have lose 1 game in regulation in a 12 game run. they are a due for a stinker. its why 10 game win streaks don't happen very often. they just played an perfect game against a hated rival. a letdown game is natural. they have the WC next and a letdown game is natural. they fell behind 3-0 in the 3rd and could have packed it in.

they are not going to win them all. winning as many as they are on the road is a real accomplishment.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I called a letdown game in the 1st and I believe they're lucky to get a point. Sandwich game between the Pens gem and the winter classic...they can't all be zingers.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
I just say "they lost in Caps fashion"...

Translation - play just hard enough to remain a starter - then - when the game is almost lost...play hard.

No you can't win them all and yes stinkers do happen. But this is a team and a style of play I felt (wrongly) the Caps should dominate and frustrate with hard heavy checking....

not tonight

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Doesn't sound like Orpik will miss much time if at all. I hope Trotz now realizes that we really need to adjust our PP.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just say "they lost in Caps fashion"...

Translation - play just hard enough to remain a starter - then - when the game is almost lost...play hard.

No you can't win them all and yes stinkers do happen. But this is a team and a style of play I felt (wrongly) the Caps should dominate and frustrate with hard heavy checking....

not tonight

the islanders may well rue the day they choked that point away. another point. the caps spanked the islander their last meeting. which was recent. they islanders get paid too. they were going to play hard. it was their home ice. they are ahead in the standings. all the signals point to the caps dominating? I am not sure I see that.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Oh well, bipolar Caps as normal.. Not sure how, with the killer loss hex of getting scored on 1st, they just show no urgency at all for over 40 minutes, then score once and look like they're setting the world on fire? Best I can come up with is they're Boneheads..

Real nice to steal a point! Amazing what can happen with a little confidence and urgency!! The double minor was a bit suspect from what I saw.. Was there a better replay I missed? I didn't see blood, player laying on the ice, fans screaming for murder.. Nothing really? And not exactly a -hard- missed stick check to the chops either? Oh well, suspect reffing on that one, but another hand full of garbage PPs + giving up a shorty and the 1 point looks pretty good..

Really would be nice if they could find 2 phases of their game at the same time though.. 5v5 looks good, PP is lost.. PP looks good, 5v5 is invisible.. "Boneheads" :laugh:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I am really pissed they scored with 5 seconds left on the lame duck double minor.

I would wager there was no blood, but there was a great sales job.

Nah Randy, at the end of regulation there was a shot of the Islander (Strome?) being tended to on the bench by their trainer and you could see he had a gash on the bridge of his nose.

Otherwise, great comeback by the Caps. Hopefully Orpik returns soon.

After tonight's play, the only two potential UFAs that BMac should resign are Fehr and Beagle. Both have been playing that heavy/blue collar game that Trotz likes. Tonight had to be one of Ward's worse games.

Last edited:

SpeedGame

Apr 17, 2014
I wish there more offensive production. This seems to be the trend with the team this year. Don't put yourself in situations where you have to erase deficits, give Holtby a lead to work with early, and supplement the defense with a strong offense. Being on both sides of one goal games against teams we should have sound victories over are more disappointing than loses in general.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Only got to watch bits and pieces of game tonight, unfortunately. Were coaches true to their word -- did they rotate several guys through our 1st line? And if so, who looked best?

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Way to grab a point Caps...pp has to be fixed though...can't keep picking up points playing this way in the pp. Gotta love the comeback...this team hates to lose. Trotz has changed the attitude of the team ...

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
How many times did MaJo run into his teammates this game? That guy was completely invisible tonight except when he was turning the puck over or getting in our puck carrier's way. I've generally been really happy with his progression this year but even though Ward, Kuz and Chimera all had awful games I'd nominate Johansson for the bench next game.

Sucks for Orpik that this happens right before the Winter Classic. He's become an important part of this team's identity and I hope it's not serious.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Only got to watch bits and pieces of game tonight, unfortunately. Were coaches true to their word -- did they rotate several guys through our 1st line? And if so, who looked best?

Yeah, Chimmer, beagle, wilson, maybe Laich for a minute? I dunno.

Wilson was the only obvious choice there for now IMO too bad he doesn't have more skills

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
All in all, the guys took care of business on this road trip. If Orpik isn't badly hurt then we dodged a huge bullet. Next 5 games: Chicago, Florida, @Toronto, @Philly, Detroit. Big stretch here.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Wilson was the only obvious choice there for now IMO too bad he doesn't have more skills

Yea, I could of swore the kid had better hands/skills than he's showing? I thought he had skills to be a legit 2RW, but so far we've not seen much in that department..

I kind of want to blame Trotz for the early sleep walk.. Throwing Chimera onto the top line didn't do the team any favors! How you go from a 4th line scratch (for apparent stupidity) to the top line is hard to get your head around.. But, for the time being they're chugging along, earning points.. So, not going to complain too loudly..

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
it. Sometimes it seems the key to getting a sweater back, under Trotz, is for someone else to screw up . . .

Waking up early tomorrow to get on a plane w/ my son. Winter Classic, here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with your observation regarding how Trotz moves players up or down the ranks.

Have a blast at the WC!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There are quite a few forwards slumping. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wilson, Fehr and Beagle are just about the only ones that show a real pulse most games. Otherwise it's all about the system, defending well enough and getting good goaltending. They need more forwards playing at a high level above and beyond being 'sound.'

I've said it before but I'm weary of giving Joel Ward much of any term. If he slows down any further he's going to be very marginal. As it is both Beagle and Fehr seem to bring more energy on the forecheck. Ward not owning the boards makes him a really mediocre forward.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
get 52 off of the #1 PP unit....that unit was super without him...tired of seeing him play10 feet off the boards and a foot inside the blueline trying to make an entirely too long of pass to Ovechkin when they work the umbrella.....want to see how it should be played, look at Carlson. He makes himself an open target for 19 as well as being in position to make quick pass/shot because he is 10 feet inside the blueline in the middle of the ice.

How has the PP been since 52 has returned?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think there are more forwards with a pulse than that. if by pulse you mean putting in the required effort.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i missed the penalty on kuz... was this really 2+2 or did the refs blew it ?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
get 52 off of the #1 PP unit....that unit was super without him...tired of seeing him play10 feet off the boards and a foot inside the blueline trying to make an entirely too long of pass to Ovechkin when they work the umbrella.....want to see how it should be played, look at Carlson. He makes himself an open target for 19 as well as being in position to make quick pass/shot because he is 10 feet inside the blueline in the middle of the ice.

Agreed. I feel like Carlson can make that pass to Ovi better than Green does. We need to go back to him on the PP.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I'm a Green fan for the most part but I completely agree with you. They need to swap him out on that unit for either of the other two IMO. That group needs a jump start and they have plenty of options in that role.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am fine with that change. I don't think Green is the issue. its a system adjustment, but do it. if/when the results aren't there we can know its not the one player messing it all up.

for the record trotz and company seem more than willing to yank a guy for failing. so, when they don't I take that as meaning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad