Post-Game Talk: Caps vs. Flyers

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
He also apparently worked out and studied like a maniac this offseason, so that speaks to a maturity that can't really be taught. Pity our pro-scouting wasn't able to see all this while he was under team control.

I don't know this for sure, but I would think Amateur European scouts would be in charge of scouting previously drafted and undrafted players in Europe.

I always thought pro scouts scouted other NHL and AHL teams exclusively.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
He also apparently worked out and studied like a maniac this offseason, so that speaks to a maturity that can't really be taught. Pity our pro-scouting wasn't able to see all this while he was under team control.

saddest_cat-275.jpeg

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I also agree that claiming Lavi developed Forsberg into the player he is now is disingenuous.

I don't think people were saying Lavi developed FF. I think they were saying he has given him more confidence and a better chance to succeed by not demoting or scratching him based on 4-game pointless streak or a couple of bad turnovers or whatever the perceived error is.

I think Trotz is a more careful coach and one who is constantly making adjustments (or, to use his phrase, holding people accountable). He also prizes veteran savvy over rookie flash and energy. So i do wonder whether FF would have racked up same point total thus far under Trotz.

That said, there is more to our team than just the development of Bura. Overall, i couldn't be happier with Trotz. IMO, he is the best coach we've had in years, and we were damn lucky to get him. I was absolutely thrilled that we, not the Pens, landed him. He has our team on the right track. He projects strength and composure behind the bench. He has a ton of experience. He brought a very good staff with him, esp. the goalie coach.

Further, as good a job as Lavi has done with the Preds generally and FF in particular, I think he also walked into a very good, very stable situation with players who learned good habits under Trotz.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think people were saying Lavi developed FF. I think they were saying he has given him more confidence and a better chance to succeed by not demoting or scratching him based on 4-game pointless streak or a couple of bad turnovers or whatever the perceived error is.

I think Trotz is a more careful coach and one who is constantly making adjustments (or, to use his phrase, holding people accountable). He also prizes veteran savvy over rookie flash and energy. So i do wonder whether FF would have racked up same point total thus far under Trotz.

That said, there is more to our team than just the development of Bura. Overall, i couldn't be happier with Trotz. IMO, he is the best coach we've had in years, and we were damn lucky to get him. I was absolutely thrilled that we, not the Pens, landed him. He has our team on the right track. He projects strength and composure behind the bench. He has a ton of experience. He brought a very good staff with him, esp. the goalie coach.

Further, as good a job as Lavi has done with the Preds generally and FF in particular, I think he also walked into a very good, very stable situation with players who learned good habits under Trotz.

Well said. Every single point I agree with especially the last one which I didn't even consider. Trotz did lay a very good foundation for Lavi to walk into.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The Predators' top line of Forsberg, Ribiero, and Neal sure spent a lot of time with Trotz. :sarcasm:

If three forwards alone were the secret to leading League standings, we wouldn't be in bad shape ourselves.

I think Nashville's success stems from a lot more than just Ribs, Neal and FF (two of whom were considered skilled malcontents when they played elsewhere). I believe Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne may be helping, too.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Gotta love those one timers by Ovechkin. A lot of people seem to criticize him, but he's still one of my favourite Russian players in the NHL, if not my favourite.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
take solace in knowing if Fors were here he would be our 4C, near pointless in his limited TOI.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
FORSBERG!!!!!!!!!!

You guys know its coming. Nashville is doing great. Caps coming on strong.

Capitals and Nashville in the Stanley Cup Finals. The Preds win in 4 straight with game 4 in DC and the first to carry the cup is FORSBERG!!!!! Then the Conn Smythe goes to FORSBERG!!!!!!!!

Its the new Fbomb. FORSBERG

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
FORSBERG!!!!!!!!!!

You guys know its coming. Nashville is doing great. Caps coming on strong.

Capitals and Nashville in the Stanley Cup Finals. The Preds win in 4 straight with game 4 in DC and the first to carry the cup is FORSBERG!!!!! Then the Conn Smythe goes to FORSBERG!!!!!!!!

Its the new Fbomb. FORSBERG

That makes me think of when Aaron Boone hit that home run off Tim Wakefield in the playoffs. Even the guy on Sports Center were saying "Aaron Bleeping Boone"

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Wasn't it the Caps scouts who advised McPhee to take Forsberg even though he wasn't sold? Pretty sure GMGM was never a fan.

He was obsessed with skating in the "new NHL".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad