GDT: Caps vs Flyers 7pm Dec 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Ovi is +3 today as well. Those two empty netters have worked out very nicely.

And how’s the wife holding up?

To shreds, you say?
Can’t wait for the new Ovi’s milestones, and … the new Futurama season :)

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I hope Ovechkin scores 50 more ENGs in his career.

100%. Anyone that wants to put an asterisk next to Ovi's name in the record books because of ENGs can get f***ed. Does anyone remember how easy it was to score in Gretzky's heyday? A good portion of that goaltending may as well have been empty-netters.

I love Wayne Gretzky. Best generational player in any team sport ever, and it's not close. But people need to be realistic about what Ovi has done here. It is completely ridiculous that anyone in the modern era is chasing this record. It should have been impossible.

Reality: "Look, kid. Barely anyone even scores 50 in a season anymore and long careers performing at elite levels are super rare. To beat the all-time goals record you'd have to basically average 50 goals a year over an 18-year career. No serious injuries, no major performance decline. You'd have to stay at or near the top of your game for an impossibly long time, on top of actually delivering on the hype of being a great goal scorer to begin with. Oh, and you're going to lose 82 games to a lockout before you even get started. Zero chance."

Ovi: "Подержи мое пиво." ("Hold my beer.")

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
4.5 for top6 C? it's year 2023, come on

I'm with CCR on this one. It'd be smart for us to try to bridge Strome if he'll accept it. Planning on Lapierre and McMichael being our 2C and 3C in 2 years is a good idea given the current state of things. We have Eller this year and maybe Backstrom next year to ease that transition, if necessary.

So if the team plans to stick with Kuznetsov come hell or high water, we might only need Strome for a couple years. Bridge him, maybe look to trade him in his next contract year. If we end up seeing him as a 1C during the transition with the hopes that Lapierre or McMike might overtake him at some point, and we're open to dealing Kuznetsov, sure, maybe look to lock him in for term now. But if he doesn't live up to it, it has the potential to be an albatross contract.

The goal right now should be to get cheap and hope some of this young talent breaks out in a big way. They don't necessarily need to become superstars, but if we can lock in a good core of centers while they're cheap, it'll free up the cash to reshape the rest of the roster and get younger. It feels right now (knock wood) that we had a potentially great draft this year. If 2 or 3 of those guys pan out over the next 4 years or so, we could have a good core emerging as the Ovi era ends, AND be a pretty good team in the meantime.

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
4.5 for top6 C? it's year 2023, come on
He’s a budget reclamation project playing a small number of games and we want to throw $6-7 mil at him already? Massive pass.

I'm with CCR on this one. It'd be smart for us to try to bridge Strome if he'll accept it. Planning on Lapierre and McMichael being our 2C and 3C in 2 years is a good idea given the current state of things. We have Eller this year and maybe Backstrom next year to ease that transition, if necessary.

So if the team plans to stick with Kuznetsov come hell or high water, we might only need Strome for a couple years. Bridge him, maybe look to trade him in his next contract year. If we end up seeing him as a 1C during the transition with the hopes that Lapierre or McMike might overtake him at some point, and we're open to dealing Kuznetsov, sure, maybe look to lock him in for term now. But if he doesn't live up to it, it has the potential to be an albatross contract.

The goal right now should be to get cheap and hope some of this young talent breaks out in a big way. They don't necessarily need to become superstars, but if we can lock in a good core of centers while they're cheap, it'll free up the cash to reshape the rest of the roster and get younger. It feels right now (knock wood) that we had a potentially great draft this year. If 2 or 3 of those guys pan out over the next 4 years or so, we could have a good core emerging as the Ovi era ends, AND be a pretty good team in the meantime.
Absolutely I would try to bridge him a few years until we see a steady return in production and how CMM and HL develop.

Reactions: RedRocking and Jags

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I appreciate Konecny making sure Ovie and the Caps still had enough “go f*** yourself-ness” in their game even after the outcome was no longer in doubt.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

100%. Anyone that wants to put an asterisk next to Ovi's name in the record books because of ENGs can get f***ed. Does anyone remember how easy it was to score in Gretzky's heyday? A good portion of that goaltending may as well have been empty-netters.

I love Wayne Gretzky. Best generational player in any team sport ever, and it's not close. But people need to be realistic about what Ovi has done here. It is completely ridiculous that anyone in the modern era is chasing this record. It should have been impossible.

Reality: "Look, kid. Barely anyone even scores 50 in a season anymore and long careers performing at elite levels are super rare. To beat the all-time goals record you'd have to basically average 50 goals a year over an 18-year career. No serious injuries, no major performance decline. You'd have to stay at or near the top of your game for an impossibly long time, on top of actually delivering on the hype of being a great goal scorer to begin with. Oh, and you're going to lose 82 games to a lockout before you even get started. Zero chance."

Ovi:
"Подержи мое пиво." ("Hold my beer.")
Lockout and a half to include some games lost to COVID breakout.

Lockout and a half to include some games lost to COVID breakout

Ovi: "Подержи мое пиво." ("Hold my beer.")
Disregard my previous post, you mentioned the specific 2005 lockout, lol.

Reactions: kicksavedave

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Apparently in his post game he said he thought Ovie deked it into the net and it set him off. He did go on to say maybe he was wrong.
Tocchet kinda tried to have a problem with it in the TV discussion later in the night, but when all the other guys pressed him, like “really, you have a problem with that?”….he backed off and said no….

I appreciate Konecny making sure Ovie and the Caps still had enough “go f*** yourself-ness” in their game even after the outcome was no longer in doubt.
Hell yeah….anything to motivate the boys….

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
With Strome, it depends on the room. If he is well liked and drives culture I could see them giving him 6-7M on 6-8 year contract. No issues with that. He is what 25 or 26. he’ll be long after Kuzy,

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That is a massive overpayment. Strome was let go for free just last offseason.
And he's doing everything he can to prove that was a mistake.

That being said, I don't want to give him 6-8 year term. But the $6M on a 3-4 year deal doesn't seem outlandish.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Strome is smart he knows Caps need him. Why sign for 4,5M? Hes doing a better work right now, thats what I see from highlights and occasional games at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad