Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Flames Oct 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t see OTs going our way very often this year. Trying to figure out what Wilson was thinking that one play when he had possession. Honestly I don’t think Wilson belongs out there 3 on 3. Not suited to his game at all.

What are you talking about? When he curled off at the blueline? He did that because his linemates were changing and he was about to change so OT1 could get on the ice.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, the combos Laviolette chose for the OT other than russian trio kinda baffled me. Dowd had no business seeing the ice time. The way Carlson played this game I wouldn't have trusted him either. And Samsonov once again looked shaky and out of shape. They need to ship him out and the sooner the better.
And yet Dowd was twice as effective as 20, who was a giveaway machine. I don’t mind Dowd being out there. Anyway, he wasn’t on for the goal against. It was Kuz, the high event player

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
I don’t think Eller has been good yet. I don’t get why he is getting double shifts in the second half of the game and OT time.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What are you talking about? When he curled off at the blueline? He did that because his linemates were changing and he was about to change so OT1 could get on the ice.
Agreed. Wilson didn't make a mistake there.
My question is. Why is Dowd playing 3 on 3?

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Agreed. Wilson didn't make a mistake there.
My question is. Why is Dowd playing 3 on 3?
Defensive zone faceoff win, led to possession. He should have went straight off the ice though I stead of staying on.

At least we got a point out of that shit show of a game. Whatever. Knew from the drop of the puck when everything was bouncing off Vanacek it wasn't going to be his day or the Caps day.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I'm worried about Carlson. Not just the gaffe but he seems unwilling to use his shot anymore which is one of his best attributes. Him passing it up always makes the Caps less dangerous.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And yet Dowd was twice as effective as 20, who was a giveaway machine. I don’t mind Dowd being out there. Anyway, he wasn’t on for the goal against. It was Kuz, the high event player

Dowd was a regular in OT last season. I am sure he is out there for defensive reasons.

Reactions: troyerlaw

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Justifying keeping someone on the ice at 3 on 3 for defensive reasons only is kinda...Idk seems like arguing for the sake of it. You don't let a strictly defensive forward skate in OT unless you don't have anybody else to play, it turns into a who controls the puck and tempo better game with that much space. If the prpose of Dowd getting out was winning a FO he should've done that and get the hell back to the bench. The didn't get scored on with him on the ice obviously but they could've won the game if there was someone more capable of an actual scoring taking that spot.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Well, the combos Laviolette chose for the OT other than russian trio kinda baffled me. Dowd had no business seeing the ice time. The way Carlson played this game I wouldn't have trusted him either. And Samsonov once again looked shaky and out of shape. They need to ship him out and the sooner the better.

Sammy was not shaky and he certainly was not out of shape! Don't be CNN and create some false narrative! The OT goal was a bit of bad luck bounce on a good save by Sammy(slight argument he could have squeezed his glove hand in tight to his ribs). VV was shaky in that 1st period. He looked tentative facing the Flames aggressive attack. The team didn't play well in the 1st, but that is what good goaltending is for. VV didn't look ready for the game, as he was fighting pucks and giving up horrible rebounds(Flames PP goal was a good example). Sammy was a lot better with his rebound control than VV, and he used his bigger size to his advantage as the Flames had to adjust their shots with Sammy in net.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I have to wonder if Eller should be put back as 3C and CMM tried at 2C or Wing if it's too much responsibility. Right now only the 1st line is producing consistently.

To be fair, the McMichael line got more 5v5 ice time than the Eller line today so they were effectively the second line. But your point stands, I liked McMichael's game and Eller appears to be fighting it a bit so far this season.

Reactions: crab

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
One other thing I like to point out, the Caps have not played well in either OT and that is why they have lost both. Seems they are lacking a killer instinct in OT so far.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If this is what McMichael is going to bring on even a semi-consistent basis I don't see the logic in sending him back to Hershey when Backstrom returns. Put him on the wing if need be, but he's been an effective two-way player so far. The stats have yet to update after today's game, but he's behind only Kuznetsov in terms of 5v5 ixG/60, and he's currently rocking an 85% on-ice xGF% (again, subject to change after today's game). He's had a ton of dangerous looks and doesn't look out of place, unlike Lapierre who appeared to be a bit overmatched at this point in his career.

It's pretty easy to make the case that McMichael is outplaying Sheary, Sprong, and Mantha so far in terms of wingers. So why not breed a healthy competition between them when Backstrom returns?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
How is it not suited to his game? What is his game?
It’s not a possession game. In OT I want guys who either hold the puck well (he doesn’t) or who are quick. What’s his game? Good defender and a little of everything offensively but nothing he particularly excels at.

In OT as good as your defense may be you will eventually wear down if you don’t have much possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad