GDT: Caps vs Flames 2pm Nov 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Coaches clearly sending a message to Mantha by putting Milano on PP2 in the 3rd, and Milano responded by winning a puck battle that leads to the Ovie goal.

That said, in our current state, it would really help if Mantha would start to show up on the score sheet. Maybe he could be Oshie’s next project, now that 77 unlocked helped unlock Kuzy today. Kuzy is much better when he’s smiling. Maybe Mantha is too

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
FWIW Flames broadcast is actually pretty solid.

Color guy does actual analysis, rather than Locker’s same 6 buzzwords. Lots of props to Ovi as well (I know, shocking from Canadian media)

From shhhkate to shhhtick, shhhort shhhhide

put the beer down locker

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
fake it til you make it ;)

mediocre 1st but got that early goal and got out of the period, strong final 40 to take it home
'grats to Kuemper on a great game; was there even 1 odd-man break against?

like @g00n said - Oshie is the glue, he's been involved in everything, 4pts in 2gms back, throwing big hits, creating offense, seems like the best locker room guy in the league, even gets Kuzy to care and literally flap his wings lol

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I have really been liking the way Gus has been playing lately. Not going to be a Norris candidate, but he and JC74 are gelling pretty well. When Orlov comes back it will be interesting to see what they do with the pairs. And who goes to Hershey. I would suspect Alexyev. He needs some games!

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I have really been liking the way Gus has been playing lately. Not going to be a Norris candidate, but he and JC74 are gelling pretty well. When Orlov comes back it will be interesting to see what they do with the pairs. And who goes to Hershey. I would suspect Alexyev. He needs some games!
Gus has nice offensive instincts and would be great on the third pair but his neutral zone gaps and play in his own zone are ehhhh not good.

Reactions: PlushMinus

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Gus has nice offensive instincts and would be great on the third pair but his neutral zone gaps and play in his own zone are ehhhh not good.
This system fits him pretty well With emphasis on activating dee and I think he has settled in now that we are 20 games in. I like him on third pair with TVR. I could see Orlov starting away from JC74 when he comes back if nothing else to protect his minutes. But yes, long term, Gus is likely on third pair with TVR.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
fake it til you make it ;)

mediocre 1st but got that early goal and got out of the period, strong final 40 to take it home
'grats to Kuemper on a great game; was there even 1 odd-man break against?

like @g00n said - Oshie is the glue, he's been involved in everything, 4pts in 2gms back, throwing big hits, creating offense, seems like the best locker room guy in the league, even gets Kuzy to care and literally flap his wings lol
If only we could all remember this simple truth the next time Oshie gets dinged up and misses time. Got tired of hearing how he’s a washed, marginal 3rd liner, who barely moves the needle when healthy, has a terrible contract - trade him! Yada yada.

His return immediately fixed the PP too - if that doesn’t move the needle, not sure what does.

Glue guy back, next up: the X Factor, Willy the Whip.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Most of the Canadian broadcast crews are better than the US crews. Just how it is.
I think American teams use a smaller and cheaper broadcast while Canadian teams all default to Sportsnet or TSN, the big networks up here.

It also seems the US broadcast target a casual audience with a heavy focus on the local team. Funny enough I don’t like NBA or MLB coverage up here for the same reason.

Locker has been slacking the last few seasons…
He’s quite bad these days and painfully homerish.

That said I don’t mind him, he cheers for the right team ;)

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Not sure if im supposed to be happy we won, or annoyed that our draft odds got worse.

I'll settle for being happy that Ovi scored.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Gus is one highly offensive oriented defenseman. He's pretty much a fulfilled potential Djoos. If he had a defensive side, he would be a super star.

I think American teams use a smaller and cheaper broadcast while Canadian teams all default to Sportsnet or TSN, the big networks up here.

It also seems the US broadcast target a casual audience with a heavy focus on the local team. Funny enough I don’t like NBA or MLB coverage up here for the same reason.

Indeed and yesterday he commented about Markstrom early on which usually leads to jinx. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Now tonight it will be Joe B mentioning Sherangovich for 100 times and Locker talking about how a NJD player is in a drought.

Reactions: um

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I do not like having many back to back games. I do believe this has factored into some losses this year.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

I feel like Locker has turned into an EA announcer, where there are about 10 different canned comments he can choose from. Plus, some folksy nonsensical anecdotes about his playing time. It’s like he’s on autopilot.

He’s a good dude of course, and has a great relationship with Joe B. They’re our guys and it’s fun to hear them be homers.

But watching the Calgary broadcast (and others via ESPN+), it’s nice to have a color guy actually explain the in game adjustments, what is affecting the game flow, who missed their assignment, etc… It’s nice to actually learn something occasionally. Like how Tony Romo will sometimes throw out something you didn’t know about NFL plays/strategy.

I know in DC they’re targeting the casual fan. I’d just hoped that since it’s become a hockey town, they would respect the audience’s intelligence a little more. We do have May Day, which is cool, and he provides a little more insight.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I feel like Locker has turned into an EA announcer, where there are about 10 different canned comments he can choose from. Plus, some folksy nonsensical anecdotes about his playing time. It’s like he’s on autopilot.

He’s a good dude of course, and has a great relationship with Joe B. They’re our guys and it’s fun to hear them be homers.

But watching the Calgary broadcast (and others via ESPN+), it’s nice to have a color guy actually explain the in game adjustments, what is affecting the game flow, who missed their assignment, etc… It’s nice to actually learn something occasionally. Like how Tony Romo will sometimes throw out something you didn’t know about NFL plays/strategy.

I know in DC they’re targeting the casual fan. I’d just hoped that since it’s become a hockey town, they would respect the audience’s intelligence a little more. We do have May Day, which is cool, and he provides a little more insight.
You make some good points for sure. That said, I can choose who to listen to for most games since i have ESPN+ but i always choose Joe B/Locker. I think some of that is because i have been listening to them for over 20 years and part because it almost feels like I am watching with a couple of my buddies in the basement. When the post-OV era begins, i could see these guys being moved out. But since Ted now owns NBCSW, I suspect he will treat them like OV… they get to stay And see the era end.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

What? You don't want Trip Tracey as the color guy? :)

• Haha
Reactions: RedRocking

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
1669519354551.png

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
You make some good points for sure. That said, I can choose who to listen to for most games since i have ESPN+ but i always choose Joe B/Locker.

I usually listen to the opposition's announcers. Nice to get outside perspective on our players when the broadcast team is good, and the mispronouncing of Fehervary and knee-jerk takes on our team when it's not. Most of all though, it's good to hear the info they get from talking to our players and coaches ahead of the game; the little insights and updates that we sometimes don't get from Joe and Craig (or maybe that I just miss because I'm out of market now and don't get the pregame shows).

So they'll talk during the game about what the staff said about Wilson's recovery, which new/young players the coaches are excited about, the little insidery things it feels like they got while bullshitting with May or Johnson, and so on. Definitely nice to listen to Joe and Craig on occasion, but I'm usually getting the enemy broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad