Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Ducks 7:00 PM EST

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well the problem is the virus doesn't care about its own survival, its not sentient. It mutates randomly and if we allow it to continue, eventually it will hit the virus lotto and become easily transmittable and ultra deadly with that dreaded combination of slow symptom development and a population still resisting vaccinations, it can find plenty of hosts. Add in the trifecta of people too weary from past shutdowns and its the perfect storm. Mother nature has already fired all her warning shots across our collective bow. The next one will be a bulls eye.

The only good news is, more treatments including oral(pills) are being developed so it doesn't have to be a death sentence for everyone.
It doesn’t have to care in a conscious way. The evolutionary imperative is still there. Mutations that allow a variant to thrive win out over those that make it harder to propagate.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I wouldn’t bet on Hagelin to score in a womens prison with a suitcase filled with cigarettes.
Wow! Now that is a thing!

I mean he has to score at some point. Now on the second line with Oshie and Eller. Seems like a good calculated bet.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It doesn’t have to care in a conscious way. The evolutionary imperative is still there. Mutations that allow a variant to thrive win out over those that make it harder to propagate.

I think we're saying the same thing basically. My main point is, the longer we let it hang around (and that's exactly what we're doing, just deciding to live with it vs eradicate it) the more likely we are to stumble across a variant which will kill 150-200M people, instead of the 5+M so far. There will be plenty of hosts around for it to spread in that situation. Its just a matter of time before coronavirus hits that lotto.

I'm telling you all right now, we're heading for Planet of the Apes as we speak. :scared:

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think we're saying the same thing basically. My main point is, the longer we let it hang around (and that's exactly what we're doing, just deciding to live with it vs eradicate it) the more likely we are to stumble across a variant which will kill 150-200M people, instead of the 5+M so far. There will be plenty of hosts around for it to spread in that situation. Its just a matter of time before coronavirus hits that lotto.

I'm telling you all right now, we're heading for Planet of the Apes as we speak. :scared:

It’s too bad that our billionaire benefactors and our political leadership have decided that it’s more important for the Number to keep going up, and for us to continue stuffing our faces with 2 for $20 meals at Applebees, than it is to eradicate the coronavirus.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Eradicate isnt an option when almost half your population isn't interested. Laviolette just talked in his post skate presser about Sprong needing 200ft game. Defense. Puck battles. Details.

Reactions: kicksavedave

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I think this is basically true. The virus has no way of knowing "oh hell, I've killed off 90% of the available hosts I'd better mutate and slow down". If the right/wrong combo of traits forms from a mutation it could just rip through a population and kill huge parts of the species first time through, with no regard for future prospects. All it will "know" is "reproduce within this host".

I also think the weakening of a virus over time as a "survival" trait is more a product of the response to the virus (increased immunity, better treatment, etc), and some luck. There's probably no evolutionary means for a non-sentient entity to manage its own food supply. Predators OTOH are likely to avoid killing too many females/young so the source herd can be maintained.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It’s too bad that our billionaire benefactors and our political leadership have decided that it’s more important for the Number to keep going up, and for us to continue stuffing our faces with 2 for $20 meals at Applebees, than it is to eradicate the coronavirus.

So you haven't left the house in almost 2 years?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Welcome Ducks!
200.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad