Caps vs Devils 7:00

Burakovsky95*

Am I the only one who disliked how we played after grabbing the 3-1 lead? Holtby had to stand on his head to keep it that way.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Have to keep winning other bubble playoff teams if we want to sneak in. They should be thanking Holtby for this one.

Also i would like to congratulate the Devils on this new record. Combined 8996 offsides and icings in a game is something you can be proud off.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Poor 3rd period gameplan IMO. Too much turtle. It didn't bite them and they executed the defensive game well, but I'd like to see a little more push with a lead. Holtby had more work than was necessary in the final 20.

Still, good win. On to Tampa for a real test.

Lard Stanley

Jan 25, 2010
Am I the only one who disliked how we played after grabbing the 3-1 lead? Holtby had to stand on his head to keep it that way.

Nope. If this game was the exception rather than the rule for Holtby, we're going to let a lot of teams back into games with this style of play.

When teams go down, they get desperate, which leads to mistakes. We aren't playing an aggressive style that lets us take advantage of those mistakes.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Solid performance. Unlucky NJ goal - it happens.

Only sinker - top line....when you get paid the big bucks you need to play well...every game ..........every play....Sorry to be a wet blanket on a good win...but....as Cindy Lauper says "Moneh...Moneh changes ev-reh thing"

Side note - Team runs just fine without Green. Will Trotz HS Hillen? And if so - why?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Solid performance. Unlucky NJ goal - it happens.

Only sinker - top line....when you get paid the big bucks you need to play well...every game ..........every play....Sorry to be a wet blanket on a good win...but....as Cindy Lauper says "Moneh...Moneh changes ev-reh thing"

Side note - Team runs just fine without Green. Will Trotz HS Hillen? And if so - why?

Why shouldn't he...?

Hillen hasn't been particularly good and Schmidt looked better without him. Trotz doesn't seem to trust that pairing and they didn't play much at all in this game (Hillen 9:35, Schmidt 11:15).

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Solid win! Too much shooting gallery on our tender in the 3rd, but thankfully he was up to task! Not sure they know how to take their foot off the gas, w/o slamming on the brakes, just yet?

Kuzy showing us some future! Nicky could take notes from that snipe! Keep that PK honest!!

Bottom 2 lines apparently starting to get it! 2nd line getting some great looks, but Brouwer not burying it.. 1st line doing some "ok" possession work and a little cycle, but still not very dangerous.. Hopefully what they're trying to do will pay off soon so they don't lose interest?

Time to send Bura to Hershey? Not seeing a place for him in the bottom 6 at the moment.. Don't care what Locher says, he can watch film if he needs to "see from above".. Proper development comes from playing lots of minutes!

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I don't know if you guys could tell on TV, but the Devils were honoring Ukraine at the game today. They did a "salute to the troops" type of thing for a former Ranger who moved to Ukraine, helped them start a national guard, and then was killed in the fighting. There were a lot of small groups of Ukrainians and they chanted something in Ukranian or Russian at Ovie early on. I wonder if this could've been an awkward coincidence or if they were really making a political statement by doing this with Ovie in town.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I don't know if you guys could tell on TV, but the Devils were honoring Ukraine at the game today. They did a "salute to the troops" type of thing for a former Ranger who moved to Ukraine, helped them start a national guard, and then was killed in the fighting. There were a lot of small groups of Ukrainians and they chanted something in Ukranian or Russian at Ovie early on. I wonder if this could've been an awkward coincidence or if they were really making a political statement by doing this with Ovie in town.

there are many russians in the nhl and OV is just a hockey player, don't be silly.

it probably has to do with what you said about the former Ranger who moved to Ukraine, helped them start a national guard, and then was killed in the fighting. that's much bigger than any hockey player.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
Nope. And I'm sure there will be crickets from you post-game.

you mad bro? c'mon, we've seen Hunter harpoon Turgeon. Bondra's exciting career, you gave Iafriate his "wild thing" nick name, not from the movie but cause you thought his hair was groovy at the hardest slapshot competition. Carey getting the call up wining the calder trophy in the ahl and the nhl in the same season. we traded Semin before he was with the caps. I'm just tired of making excuses for holes. your my G-unit, my gansta, my G-wiz

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
there are many russians in the nhl and OV is just a hockey player, don't be silly.

it probably has to do with what you said about the former Ranger who moved to Ukraine, helped them start a national guard, and then was killed in the fighting. that's much bigger than any hockey player.

There are a lot of Russians, but not many have participated in (arguably) pro-Russian propaganda. Even if he's just a hockey player, he's probably the most well known Putin supporter in the US.

Also, the Ranger was killed back in August.

Burakovsky95*

That one ridiculously salty Devils fan in their GT calling Holtby the most overrated goalie in the league who apparently gets "*****-slapped" by Lundqvist in the playoffs.

Guy's team gets blown out 4-1 but since our team is so ****** we are to blame for that apparently

Halpysback*

Honestly Ukrainians do this to Russians all the time, everywhere, for as long as I can remember. Russians are used to it. I'm surprised they didn't paint all the trash cans blue and yellow to go along with it like they usually do.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Trotz's Bumper Car hockey is boring to watch ---eesh. You know the one car that's stuck and even going the wrong way. That's what it reminds me of...

When I really think about it, Caps only scored one organized goal 5on5 - Alzner from the point (or near it). As good as the Beagle goal was ----it's still concerning that an organized "tac-tack-toe" attack is still elluding the Captials. Think back to the Vancover game; now that's an organized attack.

Greasy or "mucker" goals are part of todays hockey---got it. But the top teams all have a good cycle and "tac-tack-toe" attack.

I'm still glad for the improvement but there' a lot of room for more.

And talk about learning a new system - Look at Florida. The bottom feeders + good leader (coach) = winning.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That one ridiculously salty Devils fan in their GT calling Holtby the most overrated goalie in the league who apparently gets "*****-slapped" by Lundqvist in the playoffs.

Guy's team gets blown out 4-1 but since our team is so ****** we are to blame for that apparently

I wouldn't go much into that. Holtby is underrated by every other teams fan (they think he's terrible), while people still see Cory Schneider as top-8 goalie because he was good backup in Vancouver. :laugh:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This was a nice win. Really not a lot to complain about. Easily Holtby's best game of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad