Caps vs Devils 7:00

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
+ Holtbeast (very nice response after being thrown in the lava vs Isles b2b)
+ 4th line players with some dangles
+ Laich's battling all over the ice >> Brouwer > Laich injured

- too few PPs last several games
- too few trades last week
- little chemistry for the 2nd line, Johansson shoots 2v1 and so on

If Metro is this weak - they should seize the opportunity.

Also, this iteration team's chances for Cup are really slim with or without Green, Brouwer and so on. They will rely on Holtby, defensive defense and grinders largely anyway.

Send Bura to AHL/WJC, try to trade usual suspects, bring Bura back up and go as far as you can will all assets gained and kept until the draft.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
- little chemistry for the 2nd line, Johansson shoots 2v1 and so on

This gripe is ridiculous. There's probably a lower chance of him completing the pass to Kuznetsov in good enough position that Kuzy can one time it than him scoring on that shot. The defender played the situation well, and was in good position to make any pass to Kuznetsov very difficult.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
This gripe is ridiculous. There's probably a lower chance of him completing the pass to Kuznetsov in good enough position that Kuzy can one time it than him scoring on that shot. The defender played the situation well, and was in good position to make any pass to Kuznetsov very difficult.

I don't understand, Myst, do you think they had good chemistry?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think Johansson made the correct play when he took the shot on net on that 2-on-1.

Agree. 2 sticks in the passing lane, almost no room or time to pass, goalie probably knowing Mojo is pass-first usually anyway. Had to shoot and hope for a rebound or lucky goal.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Also remember the coaches pounding on Johansson since day 1 to shoot the puck.
just the other t rotz said something about a pass first team in a shoot first league.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Honestly thinking back I remember being particularly annoyed that he fired it right into the the glove with out at least showing a fake. As a left handed shot I felt like he had some more room short side or at least something into the pads for a rebound.

I know some of us are still on the hey he's shooting honeymoon but not the best instincts there IMO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's generally not good when you applaud taking a shot. Shoot moar can lead to massive game 7 choke jobs at home. One's gotta go in. No, it does not.

Our players seem to lack basic shooting skills, such as looking off the D/G, faking shots and passes, and changing the angle before shooting. Really basic things.

Trotz has lots of work to do. Kudos for getting the swedes to shoot but its a tribute to our questionable development program of this same regime, that he had to even say it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's generally not good when you applaud taking a shot. Shoot moar can lead to massive game 7 choke jobs at home. One's gotta go in. No, it does not.

Our players seem to lack basic shooting skills, such as looking off the D/G, faking shots and passes, and changing the angle before shooting. Really basic things.

Trotz has lots of work to do. Kudos for getting the swedes to shoot but its a tribute to our questionable development program of this same regime, that he had to even say it.

I wonder if our guys are just...dumb.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well...its typical. I get home from a weekend work trip I bring up the gdt thread from a win and see....our guys are dumb, this is definitely the caps board

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if our guys are just...dumb.

Most if not all of our young players just seemed to have instantly flat lined their development.

Who has improved in the past 3 years?

It seems like development fail to me. MJ shot the puck! is what we have now.

We can only guess what they have been asked to do. Heck Trotz has to preach them to go to the net. That simple plan has been employing North Americans in the NHL for decades. It should be in their DNA proper by now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
well...its typical. I get home from a weekend work trip I bring up the gdt thread from a win and see....our guys are dumb, this is definitely the caps board

I'm sorry. I forgot the term is "Low hockey IQ". How's that?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Other teams' boards are the exact same. Doom & gloom particularly intense on Pens board, and they are one of the best teams in the league

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Other teams' boards are the exact same. Doom & gloom particularly intense on Pens board, and they are one of the best teams in the league

Every team, every board, every sport. Yup. If there's a board without the same kind of thing found here it's because nobody cares about that team.

HOLDITHERE*

One's gotta go in. No, it does not.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but this statement just go against it completely. You shoot. Always. Why? Because if you don't...it doesn't go in.

And I refuse to believe other boards are this bad. Nothing positive is ever said around here unless it's out of anger towards all the negativity. Dallas board is always lively. Even while sucking. Montreal's is full of self love. This one is actually depressing to visit.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
And I refuse to believe other boards are this bad. Nothing positive is ever said around here unless it's out of anger towards all the negativity. Dallas board is always lively. Even while sucking. Montreal's is full of self love. This one is actually depressing to visit.

Pens, Rags & Flyers all engage in same crossfire of misery and recriminations whenever least thing goes wrong. But the Pens board is especially impressive because the team is actually doing WELL this year.

Rags board is notable for near constant complaining about refs.

Those are my impressions anyway.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
MUCH gnashing of teeth among Pens fans about injuries this year, coupled with years of hatred toward Craig Adams for continuing to take up a roster spot.

These two themes have dovetailed nicely recently, with a running joke about Adams being a vampire who sucks the health out of younger Penguins like Beau Bennet and Patrick Hornqvist, in order that he may continue playing indefinitely

Burakovsky95*

MUCH gnashing of teeth among Pens fans about injuries this year, coupled with years of hatred toward Craig Adams for continuing to take up a roster spot.

These two themes have dovetailed nicely recently, with a running joke about Adams being a vampire who sucks the health out of younger Penguins like Beau Bennet and Patrick Hornqvist, in order that he may continue playing indefinitely

Troy Brouwer is basically our Craig Adams then

Burakovsky95*

its fine. I expect a load of we suck even after a cup win. ok...that's a fantasy.

It's going to be like this until we get past a 2nd round playoff series. DC just has a ridiculous amount of losing sports culture.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I don't think the players are dumb. It's a fast paced game without many odd man chances to practice. I'm sure the best of the best look back and say I might have tried something different there given another chance.

I was just upset about far side open glove. The exact shot the goalie shows you but knows he's going to make a flashy save on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad