Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Coyotes Oct 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Hate to nitpick but Oshie has 6 pts in 7 games including 4 goals, that's a bit better still. We need other lines to contribute more to have continued success. Hopefully Backstrom's return solves this issue
right. Forgot 77 had a hatty the other night. My bad. And I don't disagree that we need more from Mantha, but he's contributing. There are surely other guys bringing less to the table on both sides of the puck.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
right. Forgot 77 had a hatty the other night. My bad. And I don't disagree that we need more from Mantha, but he's contributing. There are surely other guys bringing less to the table on both sides of the puck.

I think it's just hard to overlook the massive price paid. It's the kind of price that makes you expect a player to completely take over a game every once a while. That hasn't happened.

I think if you abstract Mantha's play from the Manta trade, he's been fine. Not great but not poor either. Mostly I'm reserving judgement until Backstrom comes back. They looked very promising together.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You disagree. Let's hear your thoughts.

There's no point. The Capitals wouldnt think of going forward without Hathaway. That line is the group Laviolette trusts the most. Its well documented. That one or more of those players dont belong in the league is silly. Unless, of course, you think Laviolette and by extension MacLellan are idiots.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it's just hard to overlook the massive price paid. It's the kind of price that makes you expect a player to completely take over a game every once a while. That hasn't happened.

I think if you abstract Mantha's play from the Manta trade, he's been fine. Not great but not poor either. Mostly I'm reserving judgement until Backstrom comes back. They looked very promising together.

Mantha like Vrana doesn't play on the first line and is not a primary shooter or puck handler on the pp. I dont expect more than what that roster slot has been doing. I certainly dont expect a lot McMichael as the center there. I expect more after Backstrom gets his game legs back under him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
There's no point. The Capitals wouldnt think of going forward without Hathaway. That line is the group Laviolette trusts the most. Its well documented. That one or more of those players dont belong in the league is silly. Unless, of course, you think Laviolette and by extension MacLellan are idiots.
And tell me this. What has Hathaway done this season to help this team. I'll tell you. Nothing.
He is a below average 4th line player. Nothing more.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
He’s contributing…just not as much as he should be given what we traded for him and his salary. I guarantee GMBM doesn’t make that trade if he knew this was what he would get with Mantha.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And tell me this. What has Hathaway done this season to help this team. I'll tell you. Nothing.
He is a below average 4th line player. Nothing more.

I know this has to be annoying as all get out for you but Hathaway is a 3rd line player based on actual usage. He's 7th on the team in ev toi among forwards. That line hasn't been the actual 4th line for a good long time.

You dont like him....at all. Noted. Next subject?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I'd take that bet. Mantha hasn't had any stability since getting here. I'm sure GM knows it.
Maybe he hasn’t had any stability because he hasn’t shown the team what he needs to in order to stay on a line. They tried him with OV and that doesn’t work. Kuzy and him did not have great chemistry. And he doesn’t seem to really mesh well with anyone else. They don’t seem to like him on the PP even with Backstrom gone…I mean Lavy trusts Sheary more which is abused.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You don't know what the f*** you're talking about. Hathaway is every bit an NHLer.
Yeah and he us the greatest guy in the world. Did you forget when intentionally spit in another players face. I didn't. That's about as disrespectful as you can get.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I know this has to be annoying as all get out for you but Hathaway is a 3rd line player based on actual usage. He's 7th on the team in ev toi among forwards. That line hasn't been the actual 4th line for a good long time.

You dont like him....at all. Noted. Next subject?
Ok next subject.
I don't like you.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah and he us the greatest guy in the world. Did you forget when intentionally spit in another players face. I didn't. That's about as disrespectful as you can get.
I'm sorry, when did I say respectable? He's a total shithead, he pisses other teams off on the regular.

But he's unmistakably talented and definitely an NHL caliber player.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The scoring balance is a concern. They're starting to look like the late 2000s Senators with one great scoring line, and a bunch of junk 2-4.

At least they have a great defensive line in that 2-4 mix.

Reactions: Hivemind

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Nearly turned into that Trap game where we blow 2 points

fortunate ARI never took the lead, could've been a tough-to-take 1-0 loss

Caps stayed the course, didn't freak, (eventually) got it done with a shutout, and an OV stat-padder taboot taboot

5-0-3 is an awesome start. period.
13 of 16 points is $$$

8 games in we've bought time to 'fake it til we make it' :
- Secondary scoring is the painfully obvious need; only 4 Fwds have 2 or more g's
- get healthy (Backi is eligible after Nov.6, hope Dowd isn't more than 1 more game, Oshie's timeline is a big question mark)
- tighten up special teams; PP up to 19.4%, PK 77.3%, 2 SHGF (yay!) , 2 SHGA (boo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad