Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He cannot join the AHL. If on reserve list for caps he could play. Cristal isn’t even eligible to play in the AHL next year because he is an 05 birth year. he’ll be in juniors again. Hate that rule!
Weak. Doesn't seem like he's got much more to prove in the C.

Oh did not know that but probably not a bad thing don't think he has the frame/speed yet for the AHL. Dev. Camp this summer always a good check point to see where draftees are at.
Or... maybe I'm wrong. For sure you watch these kids more than I do.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The chips are starting to fall now. Snugglerud is going back to MN.

And Canes just signed morrow (defenseman drafted in 2021 second round). Both college guys making their choices. No word on Chesley.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Chesley stays I think. He's still got a bit to prove and I'd prefer that to third pair minutes in Hershey. He could hack it in the AHL for sure but playing a lot and ideally working on his offense and leadership are preferable bigger picture.

Gauthier and Leonard are gone either way I think. Never say never...but they're ready for the bright lights of the NHL and (IMO anyway) don't stand to gain all that much developmentally by simply running it back.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Leonard was the 8th overall pick of the 2023 NHL draft. 8th overall picks are generally not superstars. Ignoring the last few years as too soon:

2019: Philip Broberg
2018: Adam Boqvist
2017: Casey Mittelstadt
2016: Alex Nylander
2015: Zach Werenski

Against that standard, I'd put Oshie as arguably first (with Werenski making for the arguably). Of course, you go back one year further, and you get William Nylander (but I digress).

Having said that, you are underrating Oshie. Since he entered the league in 08-09, Oshie is 34th in goals and 47th in points. If you consider that there are 96 first line forwards in the NHL, that squarely puts Oshie consistently on the top half of first line productivity.

For what it's worth, Leonard's year has me hoping he can exceed Oshie's numbers in the NHL but reaching Oshie's level would still be an incredibly good result.
And numbers aside, Oshie is the heart and soul of this team, the glue, the missing link... whatever you want to call it. Without him, they do not win the Cup in '18. If Leonard can have anything like that kind of impact on this franchise in addition to similar or better points production, he'll be one of the best Caps ever.

Reactions: Kazer and Cappy76

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
If (when) Kelowna bows out cristall can sign an ATO and join hershey for the rest of the year….but then as already stated he’d have to go back to kelowna/nhl

Reactions: Calicaps

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'd like to see Cristall playing against men next year. I know it's unlikely, but Europe could be a good option.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Chesley stays I think. He's still got a bit to prove and I'd prefer that to third pair minutes in Hershey. He could hack it in the AHL for sure but playing a lot and ideally working on his offense and leadership are preferable bigger picture.

Gauthier and Leonard are gone either way I think. Never say never...but they're ready for the bright lights of the NHL and (IMO anyway) don't stand to gain all that much developmentally by simply running it back.
I think you are right and i agree. This is a case where the college development path is better for Chelsey.

I’d also like to see us resign Priskie. He is a guy who can be called up and don’t really need to develop him per se.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
And numbers aside, Oshie is the heart and soul of this team, the glue, the missing link... whatever you want to call it. Without him, they do not win the Cup in '18. If Leonard can have anything like that kind of impact on this franchise in addition to similar or better points production, he'll be one of the best Caps ever.
Can't compare intangibles but the thing Oshie and Leonard have in common is the tighter the game the more comfortable he is

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just realized this thread is getting very old. Maybe a new one/new poll is in order?
I like that. I can barely post a message let alone set up a poll. Maybe on prospect rank again. It definitely looks different now. Maybe on top prospects on the roster full time next year. Free Agent versus just going youth.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Big game players.
I asked Oshie about playing so well in big games, and he said when he plays he looks for contact, and in the playoffs when there’s less space he prefers it, and when I watch Leonard, though I’ve only seen him in big games, he’s always heading to where it’s most congested and only celebrating goals if he’s blown someone up on the way to the net

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I asked Oshie about playing so well in big games, and he said when he plays he looks for contact, and in the playoffs when there’s less space he prefers it, and when I watch Leonard, though I’ve only seen him in big games, he’s always heading to where it’s most congested and only celebrating goals if he’s blown someone up on the way to the net
Leonard has absolutely stepped up from the regular season to the tournament and has become a big-game player in that sense.

But he certainly isn't reserved with his celebrations. He has trash talking/celebrating all season long. He has a reputation in that sense. During World Juniors, he was blowing kisses to the crowd in the final. Will Smith has said that Leonard is constantly mixing it up and antagonizing other players. He's a villain, but in the best sense possible.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad