Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Stars, 8:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So many around here were willing to sell low on each of Eller, Connolly, and Burakovsky at various points in this season. That line was terrific tonight. Really showing the value that having depth scoring lines can provide for a hockey team. They're not going to produce every single night (if they did, they'd be paid a few million more each), but they can chip in timely goals over the course of a season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So many around here were willing to sell low on each of Eller, Connolly, and Burakovsky at various points in this season. That line was terrific tonight. Really showing the value that having depth scoring lines can provide for a hockey team. They're not going to produce every single night (if they did, they'd be paid a few million more each), but they can chip in timely goals over the course of a season.

It wouldn't have been trading low anymore than had they gone on hot streaks and you dealt them as trading high. NHL GM's are a lot more pragmatic on values than the average fanboys on these forums. Players values take years to build. They aren't destroyed (or made) by a 30 game streak.

And as one of the people that wanted a forward dealt (Connolly or Burakovsky), I still do. The Caps depth is at F. DSP and Boyd both belong in the top 12, IMO.

It's the Caps D that's thin. Chorney arguably doesn't belong in the 6, and Ness sure as hell doesn't.

I'd like to see an F for D swap. I'm not married as to which player should go (never wanted Eller sent out, it should be a W)....but I think one should.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This team is finding ways to win even in tough situations, down by a goal with 3 minutes left on the road against an opponent that usually beats us.

With the win over Dallas, the odds of us making the playoffs are now up to 90.7%. 6 weeks ago, we were around 30%. We've been the best team in the league over the past 6 weeks. Don't get your hopes up yet, but this is an entertaining and interesting season.

Only Metro team that is dead in the water is Carolina. The others still have a chance to make it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Caps depth is at F. DSP and Boyd both belong in the top 12, IMO.

It's the Caps D that's thin. Chorney arguably doesn't belong in the 6, and Ness sure as hell doesn't.

I'd like to see an F for D swap. I'm not married as to which player should go (never wanted Eller sent out, it should be a W)....but I think one should.
Disagree. Their forward depth is lined up as it should be. DSP has been outplayed by Chiasson and both are fourth-liners. The main argument in favor of moving a top nine W should be promoting Stephenson so that he can play more and with better, faster linemates but it's still better to be more stacked up front in the regular season. Boyd to me is neither a no-doubt top niner nor fourth-liner so the fit isn't really there.

It would be one thing if there was a D injury. Barring that, they should let it play out. They do have some Hershey options developing that could be considered. As-is they're mostly settling into form. I still don't know whether their possession game and top six consistency/IQ/motor is quite strong enough to compensate for some of the inexperience they have on D or general lapses but Djoos & Bowey aren't forcing a move.

I could maybe see an eventual DSP or Graovac swap for a Chorney level defender or something but that's minor tweaking.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Usual suspects scoring, very nice. I think Trotz's face after the win said it all :D

Also, anyone noticed Kuzy tried to score on Bishop the same way he did once but on opposite side? Ridiculous. Only defender prevented that goal! Could have been cruel.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Usual suspects scoring, very nice. I think Trotz's face after the win said it all :D

Also, anyone noticed Kuzy tried to score on Bishop the same way he did once but on opposite side? Ridiculous. Only defender prevented that goal! Could have been cruel.

I love Chorney in that video. "f***, that was so sick."

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Disagree. Their forward depth is lined up as it should be. DSP has been outplayed by Chiasson and both are fourth-liners. The main argument in favor of moving a top nine W should be promoting Stephenson so that he can play more and with better, faster linemates but it's still better to be more stacked up front in the regular season. Boyd to me is neither a no-doubt top niner nor fourth-liner so the fit isn't really there.

It would be one thing if there was a D injury. Barring that, they should let it play out. They do have some Hershey options developing that could be considered. As-is they're mostly settling into form. I still don't know whether their possession game and top six consistency/IQ/motor is quite strong enough to compensate for some of the inexperience they have on D or general lapses but Djoos & Bowey aren't forcing a move.

I could maybe see an eventual DSP or Graovac swap for a Chorney level defender or something but that's minor tweaking.

There will be a D injury in the playoffs. There always is. We cant assume that the current group wont get dinged (we've already lost Niskanen for a spell...both Orpik and to a lesser degree Carlson have missed time due to injuries over the past few years. Djoos and Bowey are both new to the rigors of an 82gm NHL season....and Djoos is slight. So that leaves Orlov?).

I know you want Kane if we move salary out, thats where we differ. I want a D-man back. I dont think a 600-800k d-man is out there that can really help. The other option is Grubauer...his 900k spread over Copley. That 900k + 600-700k means maybe a 1.5m to at most 1.75m defender can come in.

It's tight.

Look, this team should aspire to the Cup. I'm not buying the "its a transition year" crap. Our nemesis is struggling, and may not even make it....we cant rest on any laurels here. We need one more top 7 D-man, and it will need some real salary going out (so Connolly or Grubauer at minimum) to attain it. Unless LTIR, of course...which if happened to the D would just have us further behind te 8-ball.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Depth is good for when someone goes down hard but you really need guys who can play hurt if you want to go deep in the playoffs. I think that more than actual style issues is why "gutsy, gritty" teams seem to advance so often. I think it's been shown that the idea of the refs putting away whistles in the postseason is largely a myth. The rates of penalties are close vs the regular season. So if there isn't a style advantage there's probably an advantage to teams that have guys who can just survive and thrive when hurt. Especially since you're probably going down to block more shots than you would in a 7-3 laugher vs a WC opponent in February.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I'll admit it, I turned off the game after the Radulov goal. Holtby seem to be giving up some weird goals on his right side lately.

Other notes...

- Klingberg is hot trash on D. Is he trying to emulate Mike Green?
- Anyone else cringe with the Orpik/Bowey combo?
- The 4th line does not an identity. We will trade for a new 4C (sorry Beagle!) and another defenseman before the playoffs.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
That was a fun game to watch and I replayed the Orlov goal few times on my DVR lol. I hope this is Bura's breakout game because he sure has a shot. Lots to like about winning in Dallas.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
AGREE... but opposing fans (w/the usual playoff references) are going to start paying attention if the Caps remain at/near top of Metro.

I was thinking this way at the beginning of last year's season with staying under the radar. I think differently now. Things are just to tight right now to not focus on getting the advantage.

Go Caps!

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
That was a fun game to watch and I replayed the Orlov goal few times on my DVR lol. I hope this is Bura's breakout game because he sure has a shot. Lots to like about winning in Dallas.
He's known as a streaky player, wouldn't be surprised if he scores 10 in the next 15 games

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There will be a D injury in the playoffs. There always is. We cant assume that the current group wont get dinged (we've already lost Niskanen for a spell...both Orpik and to a lesser degree Carlson have missed time due to injuries over the past few years.
The issue is subtracting from the top nine (or the backup) in favor of insurance on D just in case. D depth is important but not to that extent, esp. if regulars are performing well. I could see it if there was a performance issue but short of that or an injury the likes of Johansen, Siegethaler, Hobbs and Lewington could also be of some help. System familiarity alone can be helpful and any 7/8 acquired when healthy will have to gain that based mainly on video and practice. That's tough and not something I'd go out of the way to address beyond a DSP/Graovac type deal and maybe a small future (again, unless there's an issue). If you're giving up a 65 or 10 it should be for an outright upgrade over Bowey and someone that could be fringe top four quality.

Any moves can wait, though. The next couple months should be about settling into form, developing and re-assessing. The division seems wide open but it's hard to single out glaring roster deficiencies. For me it's the Beagle and Chiasson spots in terms of pace and speed 5-on-5 but as trusted PKers I'm not sure that happens. Everything else is more contingent on development and gaining further cohesion.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The issue is subtracting from the top nine (or the backup) in favor of insurance on D just in case. D depth is important but not to that extent, esp. if regulars are performing well. I could see it if there was a performance issue but short of that or an injury the likes of Johansen, Siegethaler, Hobbs and Lewington could also be of some help. System familiarity alone can be helpful and any 7/8 acquired when healthy will have to gain that based mainly on video and practice. That's tough and not something I'd go out of the way to address beyond a DSP/Graovac type deal and maybe a small future (again, unless there's an issue). If you're giving up a 65 or 10 it should be for an outright upgrade over Bowey and someone that could be fringe top four quality.

Any moves can wait, though. The next couple months should be about settling into form, developing and re-assessing. The division seems wide open but it's hard to single out glaring roster deficiencies. For me it's the Beagle and Chiasson spots in terms of pace and speed 5-on-5 but as trusted PKers I'm not sure that happens. Everything else is more contingent on development and gaining further cohesion.
Thinking about our in-season defensive depth trades in the past 7-8 years gives me heartburn. I’m in no hurry for that. I’m not even sure a proven 6 or 7 guy gives us much more than a Hershey guy with top 4 genes. We’ve been burned in recent years by speed, not necessarily mistakes of inexperience.

I think it would especially be a mistake to move Bura or Connelly for defensive depth, as scoring depth has been a big issue in the playoffs. An intact, well meshed 3rd line is more important. We didn’t lose game 7 last season 6-3.

Chiasson surprised me with that burst of speed last night. Other times he looks like a sloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad