Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Stars, 8:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure if other teams are high on Grubauer. There is rumors that teams that are looking for goaltending are talking to the Sharks. Havent heard of anyone asking about Grubauer.
The Sharks aren't going to part with Martin Jones after they gave up a lot for him. Aaron Dell has had a good couple of seasons in the backup role but I can't see a team being that high on a guy who will be 29 in May. There will be other teams in the offseason that will take a risk on Grubauer because their goaltending situation was less than ideal. It happens every offseason. The Caps might not get a return like Jones, Varly, or Schneider but maybe he fetches a return like Edmonton paid for Talbot.

Edit: Looks like Dell is an UFA at the end of the year. He more likely gets moved by the TDL so the Sharks don't let him walk for free while Grubauer gets moved in the offseason

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Grubauer doesn't have playoff starts. Pretty sure he has one career playoff start in a 4-3 win over the Islanders filling in for Holt by who had the flu. The odd thing is. At the time I think Peters was the backup and Grubauer was playing in the AHL. The Caps decided to call up Grubauer for the start because Grubauer had been seeing a lot of action in the AHL. Peters hadn't played a game in quite awhile. Peters was bad anyway.

and without Grubauer, with Peters playing, the Caps very likely lose that series. Like I said, one game can make the difference

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why is it deadline? I'm not talking deadline. I'm talking ASAP.

And there are lots of D that have helped teams win it all. Look at Pens last 2 years? Corvo, Hannan....they have nothing to do with this team. Shattenkirk did, but that wasnt GMBM's fault. Webber was not brought into start....he had to play due to injury. You think Ness would do better?

Come on Tex....

I said deadline or near. After the holidays counts as near. I am fine getting a defenseman that will push Bowey out of the lineup for the playoffs. A rental. That said, I don't want to have to trade out one roster player to make room for another roster player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps are in a tough spot. Gruby needs to play more and better to drum up interest. Neither is likely to happen unfortunately.

I think it’s more likely an off-season trade happens because there will probably be more prospective buyers and more value in return.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is there even a huge goalie market right now? A lot of teams seem set. Maybe the most goalie stability and depth we've seen in a decade, possibly longer.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Is there even a huge goalie market right now? A lot of teams seem set. Maybe the most goalie stability and depth we've seen in a decade, possibly longer.
I guess some teams are looking for depth. I don't know if anyone is looking for a goalie to be a starter. Most teams have a decent starter.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Possibly. We will never know

well...we do know. the caps were down 0-1 in a first round series with home ice advantage. that means if they also lost g2, they face two road games down 2-0. Grubauer won them that game and they won the series in 7.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
well...we do know. the caps were down 0-1 in a first round series with home ice advantage. that means if they also lost g2, they face two road games down 2-0. Grubauer won them that game and they won the series in 7.
We don't know if we would have lost if Peters was in net instead of Grubauer. Its not like Grubauer stole the game for us. He did play solid though. Not sure how Peters would have done.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There should be just about the same amount of spots open as last off-season, depending on whether any speculate on Mrazek before hand or not. There's only Hutton and maybe Khudobin that could be viewed as starter material in UFA but it's a stretch and they're years older than Darling. So it's a weaker UFA group and no expansion complications. I'm not sure Arizona has solved their issues with Raanta. The Islanders ought to be looking (and if they bring the best offer, why not?). Buffalo should be. Florida reportedly wants someone younger. Carolina could have interest if Darling continues to be so-so, esp. with Ward a pending UFA. There's maybe the usual half dozen or so suspect spots.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The clock is ticking for the Rangers as well. Pavelec has been (unsurprisingly) garbage. They have some of the best goalie prospects in the game, but nobody is sure when Shetsyorkin will come over, Halverson has struggled in the pro ranks so far, and Huska and Wall are on NCAA development tracks. While I doubt the Rangers would be a direct player in a Grubauer trade, they could go after someone with more of a 1B upside as their back-up, thus snatching up one of the alternatives to Grubauer for other teams.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
and without Grubauer, with Peters playing, the Caps very likely lose that series. Like I said, one game can make the difference

Oh stop Tex. That is total conjecture and hyperbole. You have no idea what would have happened had Peters started. He's an NHL goalie. Hell, he could have pitched an SO. Lord know that's happened to the Caps enough (against them) in their playoff history.

Reactions: maacoshark

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I said deadline or near. After the holidays counts as near. I am fine getting a defenseman that will push Bowey out of the lineup for the playoffs. A rental. That said, I don't want to have to trade out one roster player to make room for another roster player.

Early Jan is 2mo and 30+ games (1/3 of season) away from TDL. That's not "near". Anymore than training camp is near the Christmas break.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oh stop Tex. That is total conjecture and hyperbole. You have no idea what would have happened had Peters started. He's an NHL goalie. Hell, he could have pitched an SO. Lord know that's happened to the Caps enough (against them) in their playoff history.

Peters was absolute trash during his time in Washington. I think you're reaching here and Tex's account is more likely to have been accurate.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Ok, boss. Peters started 9 games. He lost 6. Holtby played both ends of back to backs regularly. Quick refresher. After December 1 that season Peters started 3 games. THREE. The last start was February 15th.
So, the April 17th start against the Islanders would have been his first start in 60 days. Yup. Its hyperbole.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Peters was absolute trash during his time in Washington. I think you're reaching here and Tex's account is more likely to have been accurate.

Maybe. Maybe not. Why speculate. This is an inane discussion as it's all around Tex's point that Caps can't trade Grubauer because of that one game back in 2015.

It's a moved goalpost. Who cares what Peters would have done? It's irrelevant to the team today and whether they need Grubs or not right now.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Ok, boss. Peters started 9 games. He lost 6. Holtby played both ends of back to backs regularly. Quick refresher. After December 1 that season Peters started 3 games. THREE. The last start was February 15th.
So, the April 17th start against the Islanders would have been his first start in 60 days. Yup. Its hyperbole.

See above. You are creating some false narrative that has nothing to do with the original discussion

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe. Maybe not. Why speculate. This is an inane discussion as it's all around Tex's point that Caps can't trade Grubauer because of that one game back in 2015.

It's a moved goalpost. Who cares what Peters would have done? It's irrelevant to the team today and whether they need Grubs or not right now.

We're speculating because it has to do with the core issue of whether or not to move Grubauer during the season and whether or not you think he holds more value as a backup goaltender on this team or as a trade chip.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He was but that still doesn't mean he would have lost that game. We have no clue what would have happened. To say we would have lost is speculation.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He was but that still doesn't mean he would have lost that game. We have no clue what would have happened. To say we would have lost is speculation.

Right, I know. That's the definition of speculating: the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence. He is positing that due to Peters' atrocious play that year, we would have lost that game. I don't think it's a stretch to think that way; it's the likely logical conclusion based on a pattern of poor performances.

Reactions: g00n

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We're speculating because it has to do with the core issue of whether or not to move Grubauer during the season and whether or not you think he holds more value as a backup goaltender on this team or as a trade chip.
I don't dislike Grubauer but I am not sold on him. Of our goaltender prospect I would say Samsonov has more value. I'm sure teams that have older starting goalies would love to have him as a prospect. BTW I'm not saying they should trade Samsonov.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Right, I know. That's the definition of speculating: the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence. He is positing that due to Peters' atrocious play that year, we would have lost that game. I don't think it's a stretch to think that way; it's the likely logical conclusion based on a pattern of poor performances.
I had no faith in Peters at all myself but I still think we could have won that game with him in net.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't dislike Grubauer but I am not sold on him. Of our goaltender prospect I would say Samsonov has more value. I'm sure teams that have older starting goalies would love to have him as a prospect. BTW I'm not saying they should trade Samsonov.

I don't think anyone is saying (or thinks that) Grubauer has a future here. What's being debated is whether we should trade Grubauer during the season to bolster another part of the roster or keep him until the summer because he's more valuable to the team as a backup this year than he would be as a trade chip.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think anyone is saying (or thinks that) Grubauer has a future here. What's being debated is whether we should trade Grubauer during the season to bolster another part of the roster or keep him until the summer because he's more valuable to the team as a backup this year than he would be as a trade chip.

It's easy to pike a hole in someone's argument, I get that. I don't believe I've seen what another solution is? Other than "doing nothing", which isn't really a solution at all. It's inertia.

It's pretty obvious that the Caps D depth is poor beyond Chorney. Easily exposed poor. Caps G and F depth is a different discussion, but for different reasons. G depth is not often tested, while the F depth seems to be real. So? Any improvements to the D depth has to come at the expense of G or F, and has to come with -some- actual salary departure..

So again, what is the solution? I've given a couple (shot down by some, generally without any other solutions presented).

Lastly -- has anyone considered that GMBM was over in Russia to get Samsanov here....THIS year? At the end of his KHL season? If we have him in the AHL, does that change everyone's opinion on what to do with Grubauer? I'd assume so, yes?

Can we come to Hershey in May (or whenever season is over)? Im prettying confident he can?

Then what?

Maybe that was always the blueprint in GMBM's head, fakked up by McPhee taking Schmidt and not Grubauer. Play Copley as back up until Samsanov came over in May.

How much different would this team look right now if Djoos or Bowey was still in Hershey, and Schmidt was here? (Minus probably Chorney or Connolly's assuming Schmidt was at his current salary).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->