GDT: Caps @ Sharks 3/22/14 7:30pm CSNCA

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That looks like a nightmare waiting to happen. That defense would get shredded.

The only difference in that lineup is going from a bottomed out Dan Boyle to Matt Tennyson who may or may not be NHL caliber as a d-man. I don't think the difference is that significant. But a good chuckle was had at the inclusion of Alex Ovechkin to that lineup. Boyle should walk at the end of the year and the Sharks will need to make a trade to address the hole he has left in the lineup. Problem is that they would be better off getting two top-four level d-men and finding a way to move Brad Stuart as well.

Not terrible but when you factor in that the Sharks are one of the least shorthanded teams in the league a .915 % is a bit concerning.

They're also top five in fewest shots allowed per game. One of two things needs to happen for success going forward. Either the power play needs to step up or Niemi does. If both do, they will do serious damage but they should be able to advance out of the Pacific if one of those things happens.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not terrible but when you factor in that the Sharks are one of the least shorthanded teams in the league a .915 % is a bit concerning.

You take out the 29 goals against on the pk, and niemi has something like a .925 save% at even strength. Not an actual number i could be way off since i do not know whete to find the stats for shots against at even and on the pk.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You take out the 29 goals against on the pk, and niemi has something like a .925 save% at even strength. Not an actual number i could be way off since i do not know whete to find the stats for shots against at even and on the pk.

He's got a .921 even strength save percentage. Something like 23rd among qualified goalies, I think.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
There are 38 goalies that have started 25 games or more. (Stalock only has 15 but I will say where he would be if he kept the same numbers over more games)

In even strength save percentage Niemi is 24th with a .921. Stalock would be 8th with a .931.
In power play save percentage Niemi is 32nd with a .859. Stalock would be 1st with a .952!

One place Niemi does seem to do very well is the OT. He is actually 5th with a .977 in his 16 OT periods.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
Personally, i love seeing every team that got inbetween us and a Cup failing. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, St. Louis, LA, Anaheim, Chicago - I couldn't care less if you all fell into a black hole of suck

I feel your pain :nod:

A couple things: Firstly, Detroit is rightfully left off that list. For some reason, I don't hate Detroit like I do any of the others. I love and respect the rivalry with them in a special way. I want it to be US that beats them, not other scrubs.

Secondly, at this point I feel bad for Edmonton. Do they have anyone left from a time where they were relevant? Just for the players' sake, it seems like a place where top 10 picks go to waste a promising career. I mean, they'll make good money, but they have to know that they aren't actually going to do anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad