Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Sens | 4/4/15 | 7:00 ET | Caps Lose 4-3 (OT)

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Monster game. A taste of the playoffs before the playoffs. I'm actually feeling pretty excited. :nod:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Massive game.

Clinch now and you can atleast get Holtby some kind of rest before the playoffs start. Clean win tonight means Peters in tomorrow and then that leaves 2 more games big games for Holtby in the 7 days. Boston that have been completely shut down by Holtby, but they'll be eager to clinch the spot aswell, and the top team in the Conference in Rangers.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive, massive...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I like those lines, save trading 22 for 20.

Either way, newest version of "biggest game of the year", tonite. I am not sure what to expect. It's another attempt at the dreaded "4 game winning streak". Win pushes them thru all kinds of ceilings....

So a loss would be expected. I hope not.

I'm bad at predicting individual games, so I won't. I do think the first period tells it all. If we can survive the storm of the first 10min, will be in very good shape. Ottawa will come out buzzing.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Detroit, Boston, NYI and Pittsburg are all rooting for us tonight. That Ottawa team seems destined to catch "someone", and that list has expanded to a full five teams. We could deal them a huge blow if we punch our ticket here...

Most important reg season game of the year right here imo...implications everywhere.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
why is this a massive game again? what is the penalty for losing? there is no doom here. this would be a nice win to get. Win or lose the Caps will continue to push for home ice. I doubt Holtby gets much rest win or lose. Maybe one game.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
If we win and Islanders win, both Caps and Isles clinch playoff berths.

Here's hoping for Caps and Sabres victories today!

Screw the Islanders. We want that 4th seed and for that to happen the Islanders need to lose.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Win would be fantastic because we clinch a birth, but I'm not so worried about that. Would need to get jumped by Ottawa/Pitt/Bost/Detriot, and I don't see that happening. I got my eye on the Isles and Pitt, I want that second seed in the Metro

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
and? that answer applies to every game til their playoff seed is locked in. this one no more or less than the rest.

Denying the chasing Sens 2 points and making it impossible for them to catch us while also clinching a playoff berth means there's a bit more riding on this than the average game. Sure, overall they all count the same and a loss isn't the end of the world, but the mindset and known stakes going into some games is different from others. We could also pretend playoff games are all the same but we know they change in tone and perceived importance as a series goes on, especially when elimination is a factor. We may not completely eliminate the Sens tonight but we can eliminate them from OUR list of pursuers. That's a big win/game.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
why is this a massive game again? what is the penalty for losing? there is no doom here. this would be a nice win to get. Win or lose the Caps will continue to push for home ice. I doubt Holtby gets much rest win or lose. Maybe one game.

When there are things to be gained and not much to be lost is often the bigger test. When your back is against the wall... facing elimination for instance, there's the emotional survival response. But when you don't have anything to lose and you can still being the urgency needed to achieve a gain, well that's a winning mentality. I for one want the Caps to show that tonight.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Yep, big game. Please win, and win decisively. Also, I want Ovechkin to get points tonight. The main board threads about Ovie make my eye twitch.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A test of their desire. sure. I am with you. when I see a game is MASSIVE x 7, I am thinking must win. there is zippy about this game that is must win. for instance. the caps could win or lose this game in regulation and still find they are playing the rangers in the last game with the home ice advantage in the balance. now that game would be massive.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
A test of their desire. sure. I am with you. when I see a game is MASSIVE x 7, I am thinking must win. there is zippy about this game that is must win. for instance. the caps could win or lose this game in regulation and still find they are playing the rangers in the last game with the home ice advantage in the balance. now that game would be massive.

I think you're willfully denying the surrounding implications of this game outside of the Caps' fate. If we are to lose it sends a ripple that will impact four other teams as well. A regulation win on our end absolutely changes the dynamic for a number of teams and will color subsequent games, such as our game with Detroit tomorrow. If we lose tonight the Detroit-Was game gets amplified by 1000 because the loser of that game could then be in real danger...not sure how that's not apparent.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Opinion noted. But a game doesn't have to be "must win" to have implications and thus be big/important. Pointless debate.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Win would be fantastic because we clinch a birth, but I'm not so worried about that. Would need to get jumped by Ottawa/Pitt/Bost/Detriot, and I don't see that happening. I got my eye on the Isles and Pitt, I want that second seed in the Metro

We control our own destiny for the most part. Win out and the worst we do is 3rd in the metro. Get a little help (Columbus today) and we can guarantee ourselves 2nd.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think you're willfully denying the surrounding implications of this game outside of the Caps' fate. If we are to lose it sends a ripple that will impact four other teams as well. A regulation win on our end absolutely changes the dynamic for a number of teams and will color subsequent games, such as our game with Detroit tomorrow. If we lose tonight the Detroit-Was game gets amplified by 1000 because the loser of that game could then be in real danger...not sure how that's not apparent.

willfully? nah. I am a caps fan. for the caps this game would be nice to win. I don't care if they win in reg or a shootout. I would to see the caps get 2nd in the division. losing this game makes that harder. I care about the other teams where the caps are involved.

I don't care about Ottawa, except that I would prefer that they miss the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad