GDT: Caps @ Sabres Mar 30th 7pm

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
For the majority of the season they've been closer to last place than a playoff spot so post-hoc criticism of proponents of selling off and thinking longer-term is pretty rich. Obviously that's not going to happen now but nonetheless they've played a lot of garbage hockey this season (less so lately but there's also a lot of equally crappy teams in the East).

Now the question is whether if they are a playoff team are they are contender? Even with Ovechkin back playing at a pretty high level I don't think so given their overall skill level up front, inexperience on D and the erratic play of Holtby. You hope for the best but any sort of expectations for this team are tough to make outside of them being thoroughly unpredictable.

That tank hasn't been on since they were 1-8 to start the season. They are 16-17 now. Meaning since that abysmal start they are 15-9. Not world beaters but anything but tanking. And the reason they were at the bottom for a long time was because of that start. So unless you've missed the last 20+ games, there is no way anyone can say this team was ever in tank mode.

and lol @ "thinking longer-term"

Yeah, because there is only one way to assemble a quality roster. And like the draft somehow guarantees us another star. GMGM's drafts have been such a crapshoot.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
That tank hasn't been on since they were 1-8 to start the season. They are 16-17 now. Meaning since that abysmal start they are 15-9. Not world beaters but anything but tanking. And the reason they were at the bottom for a long time was because of that start. So unless you've missed the last 20+ games, there is no way anyone can say this team was ever in tank mode.

Yeah, because there is only one way to assemble a quality roster. And like the draft somehow guarantees us another star. GMGM's drafts have been such a crapshoot.

How many good teams have they beaten this year?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

Actually, it's been on the whole time. Every time they went on a run, everyone else of consequence went on one as well; they gained no separation from the bottom, gained no ground on the top. They've basically been stuck in neutral the entire season.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Fewer than I'd like. But I've liked the way they've played the last few games. I think these guys could hang with anyone in the playoffs and even pull off an upset.

Actually, it's been on the whole time. Every time they went on a run, everyone else of consequence went on one as well; they gained no separation from the bottom, gained no ground on the top. They've basically been stuck in neutral the entire season.

With a win tonight, we'd be tied for the 8th spot. And we're still very much in contention for the division. That isn't tanking.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
@langway. last season. were they a contender? were they not a wacky high sticking penalty or a good break from the ecf?

as of this moment you would think the caps would square off against teams they want revenge on. motivation won't be an issue.

i'll take my chances in the playoffs. tank? why? tanking only really makes you guys happy if it also comes with a new general manager. that doesnt appear to be on the table. so, anyway you slice it most of you won't be happy.

did i see correctly that caps jump into a playoff spot tie with a win tonight?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
They're one bad week away from being bottom 3 in the league. This is what the bottom looks like in a compressed schedule. Granted, NYR and CAR just totally flopping has muddled things. That's their ticket in. But this is what tanking looks like this season. Nobody's out.

The only way this team goes deep is with a MTL/Halak-like performance. They're still an abysmal possession team and the PK still isn't good enough.

But it doesn't matter much anymore. It's too late for them to decide to trade Ribeiro.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Fewer than I'd like. But I've liked the way they've played the last few games. I think these guys could hang with anyone in the playoffs and even pull off an upset.

Based on what? They have a grand total of 1 win over a good team this season.

Their record and their quality of play is a mirage due to their terrible schedule (notably their division).

They're really not a good team, and if they go into next season with a similar group, they'll get crushed. It's the best draft in a decade and an inflated sellers market. That's why some still want them to tank

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
@langway. last season. were they a contender? were they not a wacky high sticking penalty or a good break from the ecf?

as of this moment you would think the caps would square off against teams they want revenge on. motivation won't be an issue.

i'll take my chances in the playoffs. tank? why? tanking only really makes you guys happy if it also comes with a new general manager. that doesnt appear to be on the table. so, anyway you slice it most of you won't be happy.

Post deadline the Caps were a slightly better team than BOS, and way better than NYR (Rags were propped up by goaltending, the team itself was crummy). Maybe they have that type of run in them vs. their potential matchups again. Call me skeptical.

mdurbin1234

Nov 6, 2012
Wins against the Jets an Sabres doesn't change the fact that this team sucks :laugh:

We just recently lost twice to the ****ing Islanders

But wins in 4 out of 5 doesn't change the fact that the tank is falling apart. Which is what I posted about.

I know you want to rant about how your favorite team sucks and they should just lose out, but try to stay on topic.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Based on what? They have a grand total of 1 win over a good team this season.

Their record and their quality of play is a mirage due to their terrible schedule (notably their division).

They're really not a good team, and if they go into next season with a similar group, they'll get crushed. It's the best draft in a decade and an inflated sellers market. That's why some still want them to tank

Based on these things:

1. Ovi and Nicky beasting
2. Ribiero
3. Defense was marvelous in the playoffs last year
4. As was Holtby

Sure 3 and 4 are me hoping than anything, but I believe they can duplicate how they played last year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Based on these things:

1. Ovi and Nicky beasting
2. Ribiero
3. Defense was marvelous in the playoffs last year
4. As was Holtby

Sure 3 and 4 are me hoping than anything, but I believe they can duplicate how they played last year.

1. Nicky's not beasting.
2. Ribs at ES isn't nearly the player Ribs on the PP is. Also, Ribs has been performing to a high standard all year, and the team has still sucked.
3. Disagree that they were marvelous, but regardless, it was a completely different system. Also, no Hillen, Oleksy, Kundratek, Orlov, Poti. Half the defense could be different.
4. Again, system. He's been great at times this year. He's also been inconsistent, and this system isn't as forgiving as the trap.

The hope/believe about 3 and 4 based on last year is really misplaced. Completely different system.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Nope, not even talking about the system from last year. The defense did the little things right. They were very strong along the boards. They were very physical. John Carlson especially, he was a man possessed. And for Holtby, the system did help him out last year in the playoffs, but his play was solid. You're right though, he's been inconsistent this year, but I believe he'll pull out the beast in the playoffs as he did last year. I'm actually very hopeful of this team in the playoffs. They'll do some damage.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

How many good teams do we need to win to make the playoffs... is there a quota? When our division sucks horribly, we don't even get to face good teams. How can we win games we rarely play.

We all know plain as a day a strong defensive effort can knock down a good team. We did knock off a one seed less than a year ago. I bet you didn't think we would make the playoffs last year, either.

We havent even gotten to the deadline. Maybe George adds a G. Things can change real quick. While I doubt George pulls off a sizeable move, I doubt even less you will get that draft pick you are eyeballing no matter if George trades Ribs or not. Book it, Ovi will ruin your plans.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
16 - 17 - 1 isn't in any way shape or form "good".

Roughly .500 over less than half of a regular season. You can find similar stretches in all but the very best seasons.

They were 14-14-8 over a period that spanned the better part of 3 months in 2010-2011.

They were good. They entered the playoffs as a #1 seed that year.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Last season we had Hunter Hockey which was a system built for the playoffs.

This season, we have... A pretty good Powerplay.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

The really funny thing is we would have almost certainly made the ECF had we sold Wideman. I've never seen a guy so detrimental to a ream ever. Orlov would have been a vast improvement.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
16 - 17 - 1 isn't in any way shape or form "good".

Agreed but take out the not entirely unexpected 2-8-1 start and they have been ok, not great but ok. That pace over the entire season so far puts them at 41 points, which would be 1st in the division and 6th overall in the East. Again not great but ok IMO.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The really funny thing is we would have almost certainly made the ECF had we sold Wideman. I've never seen a guy so detrimental to a ream ever. Orlov would have been a vast improvement.

Almost certainly? Sure why not and if they had sold Semin the cup would have been theirs...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
How many good teams do we need to win to make the playoffs... is there a quota? When our division sucks horribly, we don't even get to face good teams. How can we win games we rarely play.

We all know plain as a day a strong defensive effort can knock down a good team. We did knock off a one seed less than a year ago. I bet you didn't think we would make the playoffs last year, either.

We havent even gotten to the deadline. Maybe George adds a G. Things can change real quick. While I doubt George pulls off a sizeable move, I doubt even less you will get that draft pick you are eyeballing no matter if George trades Ribs or not. Book it, Ovi will ruin your plans.

Every time save one, the Caps have lost when they've played a good team.

They're not good. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Last season we had Hunter Hockey which was a system built on the principles of cowardice and lulling the other team to sleep and not taking advantage of our high end skill players.

This season, we have... A pretty good Powerplay.

Fixed for you.

Hunter Hockey was ugly and in no way was it built for the playoffs.

The Blackhawks and Pens both played a highly aggressive style that led to cup wins.

You don't have to trap and collapse to win. The Rangers may disagree tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad