Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2023 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
With Nick disabled, Oshie usually on IR, Kuzy on his way out and Mantha lackadaisical, this team needs to get an entire team of bulky brawners and just throw the puck into the O-zone and put the fear of G in everyone.

New powerplay zone entry method is Kuemper just flinging it down the ice whilst the entire team forechecks from the redline. Goals against are irrelevant when going for 895.

Yes, it is Monday and im bored at work.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
60 minutes of pulled goalie? Ovie gets to keep working towards Gretzky, and the Red Tank would be very strong. We could also trade two very rested goalies at the TDL with very low 0.00 GAA.

Think about it…
Excellent idea! Though extremely counterproductive when it comes to Ovi's chase as i personally do not recall the last time he scored when they had the goalie pulled.

Reactions: Corby78

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Could be an interesting situation to see play out. Strome and DeBrincat had a lot of success together and he would certainly fill a hole in their top six.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Could be an interesting situation to see play out. Strome and DeBrincat had a lot of success together and he would certainly fill a hole in their top six.

How would DeBrincat fit on the power play in DC? A lot of his utility over the years has been on the power play and his spray chart overlaps with Ovechkin's quite a bit:

1681738092912.png

Ideally the PP setup is going to undergo some changes but there are going to be common elements still around. You figure Ovechkin is going to be in his office so where does that leave DeBrincat?

I'm not entirely opposed to the acquisition but I'd like to understand how he'd be slotted in before being fully onboard with pursuing him. I don't think they can pay his acquisition price and re-sign him at his likely contract price and not feature him on PP1.

That said he's certainly the caliber of player they need to be targeting and not supporting type top 6 players.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think his extension is not going to look pretty. I don't think i'd move our 2023 pick for him and they are going to want that in return.

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If I'm looking at a top 6 winger I'm looking no further than Nikolaj Ehlers. Something's gotta give with his situation in Winnipeg. All he's done in his career is produce and yet he consistently finds himself getting third line minutes behind some vastly inferior options. His injury history is a bit concerning but I think he'd be worth the risk. His production speaks for itself (19th in 5v5 scoring rate over the past 3 seasons) but his impacts are also strong. He's also a burner and I can see him slotting in on the PP pretty easily.

Schmaltz is another option that I think could be had for a bargain given his salary will exceed his cap hit next year and Arizona is struggling to pay the bills. He's another guy who produces (42nd at 5v5 scoring rate over the past 3 years) though his impacts aren't quite as strong as Ehlers.

But ultimately I still think they need to target a center. Backstrom and Kuznetsov aren't solutions in the top 6 and while I'd love for McMichael to be able to slot into 2C right away I think that's a very optimistic outcome. Ideally he'd be playing 3C but there's 9.2 million reasons that won't happen.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think his extension is not going to look pretty. I don't think i'd move our 2023 pick for him and they are going to want that in return.
Maybe they could get away with the 40th pick and one of those future seconds they picked up. But, I agree, that extension will be pretty ugly. As much as they need goal-scoring I'd probably pass if that's the big top six move. If they dump both Kuznetsov & Mantha there could be room enough for someone else but...I dunno. They need a top six refresh but the bar needs to be high and being younger alone can't be the main reasoning. It's still about tools and ideally versatility. The chemistry angle with Strome makes it somewhat interesting but Strome is already a solid fit with 8. Can those three play together? Seems doubtful defensively.

The toughest part of being well structured next season is not having to rely on Backstrom at 2C while getting rid of Kuznetsov. They could just let CMM/Lapierre battle it out and perhaps draft Moore or maybe Dvorsky in the belief either may not be terribly far off if all goes right. But structuring around Backstrom under the circumstances is a tough one. Are he and Oshie even fast enough to play together in a soft depth scoring role? They could try to sign a cheaper value UFA to compete but hard to see how it all comes together minus quite a few big changes.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A Nicklas Backstrom buyout spans 4 years, has a cost of $4,666,667 and savings of $2,333,333. Just food for thought.

I originally looked at the buyout option but CapFriendly has it way different than the numbers you presented:

1681740404424.png

It's a buyout-proof contract. That 24-25 buyout cap hit is almost the same as his actual cap hit. And his buyout cap hit next year only saves $3.8 million.

If Backstrom is really going to give it a go next year then I really don't know what can be done. His no trade list will probably include all of the cellar dwellers willing to eat his contract so I doubt a trade will be available. The choice is really hope they can work around his $9.2 million cap hit while he provides adequate bottom 6 and PP play, or convince him to retire.

Last edited:

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
If I'm looking at a top 6 winger I'm looking no further than Nikolaj Ehlers. Something's gotta give with his situation in Winnipeg. All he's done in his career is produce and yet he consistently finds himself getting third line minutes behind some vastly inferior options. His injury history is a bit concerning but I think he'd be worth the risk. His production speaks for itself (19th in 5v5 scoring rate over the past 3 seasons) but his impacts are also strong. He's also a burner and I can see him slotting in on the PP pretty easily.

Schmaltz is another option that I think could be had for a bargain given his salary will exceed his cap hit next year and Arizona is struggling to pay the bills. He's another guy who produces (42nd at 5v5 scoring rate over the past 3 years) though his impacts aren't quite as strong as Ehlers.

But ultimately I still think they need to target a center. Backstrom and Kuznetsov aren't solutions in the top 6 and while I'd love for McMichael to be able to slot into 2C right away I think that's a very optimistic outcome. Ideally he'd be playing 3C but there's 9.2 million reasons that won't happen.

Schmaltz is a guy that really interests me too. I wonder if they could rope the Avs in for a 3 team trade, something around Kuzy to Colorado, Girard to Arizona, and Schmaltz to the Caps? Even though Girard has 4 more years at a 5M cap hit and Schmaltz has 3 at 5.85, Schmaltz is actually owed 4.45M more over those three years than Girard is over his four years due to how Schmaltz's deal was structured.

Reactions: Marshall

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Ehlers is a good option. But there could be a larger package from the Jets too. On 32T yesterday, Friedman was talking about how that roster knows this is their last go together. Sounded like a lot of their guys could be moved.
I originally looked at the buyout option but CapFriendly has it way different than the numbers you presented:

View attachment 689873

It's a buyout-proof contract. That 24-25 buyout cap hit is almost the same as his actual cap hit. And his buyout cap hit next year only saves $3.8 million.

If Backstrom is really going to give it a go next year then I really don't know what can be done. His no trade list will probably include all of the cellar dwellers willing to eat his contract so I doubt a trade will be available. The choice is really hope they can work around his $9.2 million cap hit while he provides adequate bottom 6 and PP play, or convince him to retire.
I dunno. $3.8M isn't pocket change. And while that 24-25 hit sucks, if the cap goes up next year as expected, maybe it works. and I'd worry about possible damage done to the relationship with Ovie (as well as Nick). He's had a LOT of loss this past year. This would be a tough one to pile one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silky mitts

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I’ve been on Team Ehlers for a while. Terrific player who plays with pace and can produce. A bit underwhelming defensively but we can live with that.

Clayton Keller is someone I’d like them to target if they go for a center. Almost no chance he’s available but he’s a guy worth putting together a big offer for.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’ve been on Team Ehlers for a while. Terrific player who plays with pace and can produce. A bit underwhelming defensively but we can live with that.

Clayton Keller is someone I’d like them to target if they go for a center. Almost no chance he’s available but he’s a guy worth putting together a big offer for.
Buddy of mine who knows the game well (and still plays) watched Keller the other night (they played the Kraken), and said he was horrible.

Didn’t backcheck ever, floated along the red line looking to cherry-pick rushes, and was basically useless other than a few zone rushes.

So, I personally am not sold on him.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
you had me until the TVR comment. I don't have a problem with his deal at all, especially given that he and 74 are the only veterans left on the D corps rn. But I'll see your TVR and raise you Kuznetsov.
TVR was a good get at 900K. At 3 million you want to be savvy and find another TVR for your bottom pairing who can step into the top 4 on occasion (like Florida did with Mahura or Montreal did with Kovacevic this year for example) instead of having players overpaid for their normal roles for redundancy's sake. That's how you end up with a bunch of Hagelins, Paniks, Manthas gobbling up cap space and then realize you can't afford impact players where you need them

Raise me Kuznetsov? Why not Backstrom? Kuznetsov just last year was arguably the best forward on the team. He's paid to be an impact 6 center with top line offense and the years he delivers that level of performance he's worth that and more, as the only cup we ever won was with him being a dominant top center and highest scorer of the 2018 playoffs. If you don't think he can rebound and deliver those types of seasons going forward then yes you want to replace him with someone else. If he was paid what he is to be in Backstrom's shoes you ship him out no question but as it stands we all we have is Strome, Backstrom and completely unproven prospects to replace him.

Reactions: blindsideheadshot

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Ovi-Lindholm-Schmaltz
Domi-Strome-Wilson

Hanifin-Carlson
Sandin-Jensen

That’s our top-6 and top-4 next season. Take it to the bank. GMBM will make it happen ;)

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019

In a routine competition drill, Hagelin was battling with a teammate for the puck. Both were giving a full effort and, as is the case in hockey, a stick came up. It went under Hagelin's notorious tilted visor and through Hagelin's left eye, ripping all the way through the back of it.
At first, doctors thought that Hagelin's eye may have to be removed. Much to his relief, he was able to undergo two surgeries -- one on the front of the eye, one on the back -- to repair a ruptured choroid and "restitch" his pupil, a process that involves using sutures in the iris to help manage how much light gets into his pupil.

The Swede spent two weeks in "total darkness" and would only regain part of his vision and lost depth perception in that eye. His pupil is also always stuck in position and cannot dilate or contract, which makes it difficult to see and deal with glare. Sunglasses help, but he doesn't wear them all the time.

(Debated the right thread for this (here? or the Hagelin thread?), apologies if someone else already posted it, or if it was already known, and I missed.)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
TVR was a good get at 900K. At 3 million you want to be savvy and find another TVR for your bottom pairing who can step into the top 4 on occasion (like Florida did with Mahura or Montreal did with Kovacevic this year for example) instead of having players overpaid for their normal roles for redundancy's sake. That's how you end up with a bunch of Hagelins, Paniks, Manthas gobbling up cap space and then realize you can't afford impact players where you need them

Raise me Kuznetsov? Why not Backstrom? Kuznetsov just last year was arguably the best forward on the team. He's paid to be an impact 6 center with top line offense and the years he delivers that level of performance he's worth that and more, as the only cup we ever won was with him being a dominant top center and highest scorer of the 2018 playoffs. If you don't think he can rebound and deliver those types of seasons going forward then yes you want to replace him with someone else. If he was paid what he is to be in Backstrom's shoes you ship him out no question but as it stands we all we have is Strome, Backstrom and completely unproven prospects to replace him.
You’re chasing a high that was a one time thing…..

How many F off years has Kuzy given us recently? 3? 4? And you can’t give Backstrom 1?!

Backstrom deserves the chance to go away this summer, work his ass off, and come back to camp and at least show he can play a decent shutdown role/2-way game next year and hold down the 3C well.

(Debated the right thread for this (here? or the Hagelin thread?), apologies if someone else already posted it, or if it was already known, and I missed.)
That is f’ed up!

Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
You’re chasing a high that was a one time thing…..

How many F off years has Kuzy given us recently? 3? 4? And you can’t give Backstrom 1?!

Backstrom deserves the chance to go away this summer, work his ass off, and come back to camp and at least show he can play a decent shutdown role/2-way game next year and hold down the 3C well.

That is f’ed up!
I mean, he put up 72 points the year after the cup win and his 78 points last year was the reason we made the playoffs, but sure. And its interesting how the cup win justifies everything else BMac has done but that's not case for arguably the biggest on ice contributor to it.

I'm all for keeping Backstrom here til the end and working around him and his contract, I mean what else can you do at this point, but Kuznetsov has contributed more than Backstrom both last year and even this much maligned whipping boy year. Hardly Backstrom's fault given what he's dealing with but that's where we are now

Reactions: Raikkonen

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad