Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2023 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Was the buyout question someone asking about buying out Mantha? They said something at the end of the question that I just could not pick out and thought that might be it, but wasn't sure.

I'm also surprised we have different reads on the Kuzya bit. He was definitely disappointed in him this year, but to me it sounded much more like he just checked out earlier then everyone else this year but he liked his previous year of play which I thought was a bit of fools gold.

Again, I don't know if I can understate how down he was on Backstrom. Which I think was what really changed my view on how he was talking about Kuznetsov.
I think he was clearly down on Kuzy, and quietly reiterated that when asked about “mostly wing, or C also” and he responded “ALL of it”…..only one more C in the top 6 other than Strome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The tone on Backstrom is a bummer. Mac clearly doesn't see much potential for improvement, and it sounds like Nick hasn't come to terms with it. Sounds like Mac's gonna give Nick the opportunity to do his offseason training and then have the Come-to-Jesus, while building out the top 6 on the assumption that Nick can't go. I think that's the right approach for the player and the organization. Nick needs the chance to try and get stronger before he'll be able to hear the message that it's over. And LTIRetirement feels like the right answer from a pay/fairness perspective.

Oshie too. Mac clearly thinks he's still a value-add on the ice, which I agree with. Problem is, he's not on the ice enough and the coming and going is disruptive. Could see him pushing Osh to retire or LTIRetire too.

His comments on Kuzy and Mantha both were interesting. I heard undertones of system/coach problems there and that maybe he thinks with the right guys behind the bench, they can rebound. I'm skeptical about 92 especially, but we'll see.

As for the coaching, that sounded a lot like Brunette to me--veteran experience that Ovie/Willy et al can respect but also experience developing young guys and a dynamic offensive system. But could be Carbery too.

The comments about tankathon were hilarious.

This summer should be fascinating.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Wow if they get rid of Nicky I will be ecstatic, his play this year has been horrendous and there is no way any team would take his contract. Thx for everything but you are no longer part of the plan going forward. Also TJ Oshie should be shipped as far as they eye can see, maybe Seattle will take him.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Very difficult to hear the questions so I probably missed some important context.

But from just reading him and listening to his words, my impressions (these are my thoughts on his interview, not his exact words):

He absolutely loves Wilson (and Strome) and is very anxious about the Backstrom situation. The topic of "buyout" in general makes him unusually nervous.

He wants to move Kuzy and is sending smoke signals to the rest of the league. I may have mistaken talk about Mantha for Kuzy, or vice versa. Or they may have been about the same. Again, can't hear the questions.

He likes and highly values Oshie and is disappointed in how much he's been out of the lineup. IMO he might give him another offseason to get healthy because of how important he is, but there is concern as evidenced by his comments about needing guys who can last the full year. Coin flip there.

He seems completely unbothered about the defense and goaltending. Top 6 is the main focus. The rest will likely be filled out with prospects and role players.

He has asst coaches who are currently off-limits in mind for the next HC position, and it will be that "unicorn" type I mentioned in the Lavi thread who must balance old and new. He likely knows who he wants to contact but of course isn't going to let on. I think we all understand the top candidates by now.

He's a bit frustrated by the lack of early 1st round draft picks, but knows it's a result of years of finishing in the playoffs. He doesn't regard the current batch of top draftees very favorably compared to the talent available to other teams drafting higher, and probably worried he said too much to that effect after remarking about the quality of high vs low first round picks. This to me says he wants to use the pick, not trade back.

He doesn't see footspeed vs the rest of the league for most of the roster as an issue so much as how you play (passing, movement off the puck, etc), which I agree with. There's a "range" of skating speed most players fall into. Also true but we do need a few more burners.

The question about Lavi was answered politically to avoid blame for either side. On the question about assistants I suspect it will be a similar approach but he can't let the cat out of the bag without talking to them.

There was confirmation that he discusses a lot of this with Ovie, including the TDL moves, but Ovie doesn't necessarily guide or direct things.

People have been sending him draft lottery simulations which is pretty funny. It wasn't me.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wow if they get rid of Nicky I will be ecstatic, his play this year has been horrendous and there is no way any team would take his contract. Thx for everything but you are no longer part of the plan going forward. Also TJ Oshie should be shipped as far as they eye can see, maybe Seattle will take him.
Can't be ecstatic. It's the end of an era and the inglorious departure of one of the greatest players this franchise has ever had. But it needs to happen and is in the best interest of the team going forward. His number will go to the rafters, and hopefully he'll eventually be in the HOF.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Sounds good.

Wants changes in the top-6. I think the way he was talking Kuznetsov and Mantha reads to me that he wants to trade them but didn't force his hand yet. He doesn't want to pay to get rid of them so no reason to shut the door entirely just yet if the price end up being too high to move them.

He sees what Backstrom is these days and basically pushed the cards to his side. He can keep playing if he absolutely wants to but they have a pretty good idea of the level he's at now.

Should be an exciting summer. Some trades and signings hopefully coming as he stated several times how they want to get younger.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I can’t believe no one mentioned the question re Kuzy getting his own, outside sport psychologist. Goes to my ongoing joke about whether their in-house therapist speaks Russian, lol. Some weird passive aggressive statements regarding Kuzy’s maturity and mental toughness after the question.

However, I don’t think I (personally) can take much away about his actual plans for Kuzy since he would need a trade partner to do anything, and just seemed to be keeping all options open by praising him a little. That last top 6 statement could surely imply Kuzy, but the question was phrased in a way where it was easy for him to answer “anybody, and everything” - why would you foreclose any trade options?

Regarding Backstrom, keep in mind BMac tried to get Nick to retire last offseason, before the surgery. He publicly said the situation was untenable (in the same breakdown day interview), and went to Nick to personally try and dissuade him from returning. So, I don’t really see how it will play out any differently this summer. Nick (justifiably) wants that bag, so outside of some LTIRetirement shenanigans (which may be hard, since he’s currently pain free), not sure how things change.

Last edited:
Reactions: koalabear9301

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I can’t believe no one mentioned the question re Kuzy getting his own, outside sport psychologist. Goes to my ongoing joke about whether their in-house therapist speaks Russian, lol. Some weird passive aggressive statements regarding Kuzy’s maturity and mental toughness after the question.

However, I don’t think I (personally) can take much away about his actual plans for Kuzy since he would need a trade partner to do anything, and just seemed to be keeping all options open by praising him a little. That last top 6 statement could surely imply Kuzy, but the question was phrased in a way where it was easy for him to answer “anybody, and everything” - why would you foreclose any trade options?

Regarding Backstrom, keep in mind BMac tried to get Nick to retire last offseason, before the surgery. He publicly said the situation was untenable (in the same breakdown day interview), and went to Nick to personally try and dissuade him from returning. So, I don’t really see how it will play out any differently this summer. Nick (justifiably) wants that bag, so outside of some LTIRetirement shenanigans (which may be hard, since he’s currently pain free), not sure how things change.
That was Mantha I thought…just listened again…..Anthony Mantha.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Damn didn’t know that Mantha is seeing psychiatrist, feel bad bashing him now lol. Kuzy was kind of a dick in his presser, but for whatever reason I think he stays. He’s an enigma at this point but I don’t see him being moved. Overall that Bmac presser got me excited for the summer, he knows there’s work to be done.

Reactions: John Price

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
That was Mantha I thought…just listened again…..Anthony Mantha.
Oops! Sorry - thanks for the correction. Interesting. I hope he’s getting some help and guidance. BMac’s comments about dealing with criticism make even more sense with Mantha.

Maybe a new coach changes some of this dynamic (though both 92, and 39 have had their chances). Like DeBrusk requesting a trade, and Krejci leaving the NHL, before Cassidy was fired. Probably wishful thinking, but in that case Montgomery did get those guys back onboard, happy and producing.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Damn didn’t know that Mantha is seeing psychiatrist, feel bad bashing him now lol. Kuzy was kind of a dick in his presser, but for whatever reason I think he stays. He’s an enigma at this point but I don’t see him being moved. Overall that Bmac presser got me excited for the summer, he knows there’s work to be done.

Sports psychologist is different from a regular everyday therapist, usually. The focus is on removing obstacles to performance, though that can sometimes track back to deeper psychological baggage.

I guess add Mantha to the list of "why doesn't this guy flip the switch he's got a lot of talent" scoring forwards who liked to coast the perimeter and maybe had effort or commitment questions (Burky, Vrana).

My guess is these are sensitive types who don't respond well to hardass coaching styles and need something else to drive them, which can be tricky.

What is your "why", boys?

'He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.'

Friedrich Nietzsche —

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I expect them to go after Bertuzzi and/or Bunting on 5-7 year deals to keep AAV down

Ovy Strome Wilson
Milano Lindholm Bertuzzi/Bunting
McMichael Backstrom Oshie
Protas Dowd NAK

Fever Carlson
Sandin Jensen
AA TVR

would work even retaining 50% on Mantha

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Sounds like Backstrom has already made his decision to return….based on his comments.
It sure sounded like BMac was hinting at a need for a come to Jesus moment for Nick.

I expect them to go after Bertuzzi and/or Bunting on 5-7 year deals to keep AAV down

Ovy Strome Wilson
Milano Lindholm Bertuzzi/Bunting
McMichael Backstrom Oshie
Protas Dowd NAK

Fever Carlson
Sandin Jensen
AA TVR

would work even retaining 50% on Mantha
That is still a pretty darn slow top six.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He's planning to surely. But he's also expecting to improve dramatically. If that doesn't happen, perhaps he reconsiders.
I don't think so.

To me he's not putting any if's and but's out there. He's constantly talking about returning and talking about next season. That to me is a guy who has made his mind already.

Does GMBM talk him out of it? I don't think it's possible but who knows.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I don't think so.

To me he's not putting any if's and but's out there. He's constantly talking about returning and talking about next season. That to me is a guy who has made his mind already.

Does GMBM talk him out of it? I don't think it's possible but who knows.
Maybe not But Backstrom is going to have to accepted a limited role in that case me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad