Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2023 Off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
McMichael and Protas better get a full 82 games this year. Otherwise im gonna be real peeved.

And like, isnt that first line of Ovie, Oshie, Bäcky worryingly slow? I get veteran savvy, toughness and two way skills but that don't matter if you're being outskated constantly?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
acc. to capfriendly: Waivers Exempt Caps
potentially for the RS it'll be this bunch from the img
McMichael, Connor
Miroshnichenko, Ivan
Protas, Aliaksei
Lapierre, Hendrix
Häman Aktell, Hardy
Iorio, Vincent

basically everyone else on roster Requires Waivers (incl Alexeyev, Phillips, Malenstyn, Mantha, NAK, LuJo, Sandin, Edmundson...)

Iat0Euh.jpg

Reactions: Marshall

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I really wonder if they're trying to figure something out with Mantha. Carbery's talking about how the roster is different and figuring out cap stuff makes me really think they're trying to unload him at this point.
You'd have to think so mostly because it's the easiest route to more flexibility. As-is with Edmundson on IR it's extremely tight. Today's submitted paper roster is all about maximizing LTIR but it's going to be very tight regardless. So tight they can't just waive Johansen and have enough to call up HHA, for instance. Waiving or trading Alexeyev does the trick. But they're also limited which depth forwards can be carried.

Unless they subsequently move Edmundson to LTIR--I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it straight off--there's got to be urgency to find a taker for Mantha. It may be an ugly transaction if forced but if they want to give early looks to HHA/Miro it's the one move that will free up considerable flexibility.

The defense is definitely the most puzzling aspect currently. Is Johansen just warming HHA's spot? Are they hoping to deal Alexeyev, call up HHA and make Johansen the extra? The forwards are more settled. Mantha is apparently set to be the extra, Miro & Sutter will be sent down and CMM/Protas recalled. They're not going to have any room to call up Miro unless they either LTIR Edmundson or trade Mantha. Not a huge deal given that Miro may not draw in but Mantha is a glaring $5.7M obstacle at this point. And it's unclear if they prefer Miro to stick around, even as an extra, or not. If they do then it can't happen as-is.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Oh, I didn't realize. Miro is still on the roster. I do hope they aren't keeping him up here to just ride the bench.

I'm fine either way. He's going to get called up eventually if he doesn't make final cut. Get him the experience.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Johansen was always going to make the roster with Edmundson out. This shouldn’t surprise people. Alexyev is likely to get claimed so Caps won’t risk sending him through.

As much as people think the GM game is checkers, it is not. Lots of strategic moves to optimize LTIR, stay cap compliant, and not risk players getting grabbed on waiver wire. GMBM (and Carberry) have run a MasterClass this year and some luck to not have anyone get claimed.

Youth injected, coach don’t care about Mantha overpaid a$$ on bench, much better speed and pace, and hopefully a fountain of youth that runs all year long! Haha.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
New season is upon us!

Going through the schedule, start of the season is extra-important this time around. Not only because of the new coach and need to catch the right track to get it going, but also because our schedule starts light and gets a lot heavier on the road.

12 out of first 17 games (before the west coast road trip) are at home. And according hockey media previews, the field we are facing for this period isnt exactly "top of the league" material.

Something like 11 wins should be achievable, especially when everyone seems to be healthy to begin with.

First 17;
12 HOME (Pens, CGY, TOR, MIN, SJS, NYI, CBJ, FLA, Vegas, CBJ again, BUF, McDavid)
5 AWAY (OTT, MTL, NJD, NJD again, NYI)

So yeah, royally f*** up the first quarter of the schedule and you can pretty much start making your holiday plans for may -24 without worrying playoffs hockey. Team needs to be ready right out of the gate.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Ok help me out - I am travelling for work and in Singapore for the next 3 days. Tried ESPN schedule etc but it makes no sense to me. Does the 'real' season start tonight - when you read this - or is it still another day (24+ hours) away??

Last edited:

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Ok help me out - I am travelling for work and in Singapore for the next 3 days. Tried ESPN schedule etc but it makes no sense to me. Does the 'real' season start tonight - when you read this - or is it still another day away??
Yes today at 5:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille