Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Our youth movement is working. Next year Oshie and the rest of Kuzy off the books. Add another prospect to a very good prospect pool.

Would much rather go UFA route then RFA. The team that signs Mitch Marner to a long term deal will regret it immediately. If you give up assets to get him, you have to sign him.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
He’s said for 3 years now they need to get younger, add speed, add scoring. And he’s yet to do so. That’s all we heard last off season. We heard it into the season. And absolutely nothing.

You clearly don’t know GMBM if you think this off-season will be any different than the last two.
Funny. Team has gotten both younger and faster. I mean you have Protas, McMichael, Lapierre, Miro, Milano, NAK, Malenstyn, Strome, Sandin, Alexyev, Fever, all whom have come in the last three years as younger players. True that we haven’t brought in any 40 goal scorers, but we haven’t had the Cap space to do that. So yes, I think this year will be different.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Funny. Team has gotten both younger and faster. I mean you have Protas, McMichael, Lapierre, Miro, Milano, NAK, Malenstyn, Strome, Sandin, Alexyev, Fever, all whom have come in the last three years as younger players. True that we haven’t brought in any 40 goal scorers, but we haven’t had the Cap space to do that. So yes, I think this year will be different.
ftfy

Milano - slow

Strome - not fast
Malenstyn - not fast
Protas - not fast

NAK - kinda fast
AA - kinda fast
Lap - kinda fast

Fever - fast
CMM- fast
Miro - fast

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The last 2 years what moves were to be made that GMBM missed out on?

Not trading Sheery, Craig Anderson, TVR, Jensen, Dowd.
Not trading up in the draft... Leonard looks like a gem so thats a wash right now.

We just now got out of salary cap hell that we have been in for the last decade

Reactions: DWGie26

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
He’s said for 3 years now they need to get younger, add speed, add scoring. And he’s yet to do so. That’s all we heard last off season. We heard it into the season. And absolutely nothing.

You clearly don’t know GMBM if you think this off-season will be any different than the last two.
Jah mon...jah spliffy wid da miracle bud today...mon. Irie...style.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Not trading up in the draft... Leonard looks like a gem so thats a wash right now.

SD I prefer Belter:

Da ultim 2 years keting moves were fo bi made deting gmbm missed kuku ere?

na trading sheery, craig anderson, tvr, jensen, dowd.
na trading xox ere da draft... Leonard looks lik wa gem so thats wa wash right xitim.

milowda bera xitim ta ge kuku fo salary cap hell deting milowda tenye been ere fo da ultim decade

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
ftfy

Milano - slow

Strome - not fast
Malenstyn - not fast
Protas - not fast

NAK - kinda fast
AA - kinda fast
Lap - kinda fast

Fever - fast
CMM- fast
Miro - fast
Lost me putting Malenstyn in “slow”….

1716177172959.png

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Which years were the Cap Hell years? That very predictable pandemic caused problems, and…? D the Capitals take a decade to fix a “problem” or did they…. spend to the cap while competitors and only just pivot to a philosophy that doesn’t need to do that as a condition of success?

Not making an imagined trade and instead taking a really good player is a “wash”? Are you honestly trying to be impartial here?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Which years were the Cap Hell years? That very predictable pandemic caused problems, and…? D the Capitals take a decade to fix a “problem” or did they…. spend to the cap while competitors and only just pivot to a philosophy that doesn’t need to do that as a condition of success?

Not making an imagined trade and instead taking a really good player is a “wash”? Are you honestly trying to be impartial here?
Which years? Like all of them?
After our cup year we had to play cap tricks with an Oprik trade.
We had to pay a team to take on Brooks Laich contract. We made many other bad trades to dump contracts. Like that Panik trade listed bellow.
Maybe you can say GMBM in our peak years never used the long term injury list cheat code like many other teams have used in the playoffs.

Looking up other trades GMBM made... That Wyatt Johnston pick going in the trade :cry:
Apr. 12, 2021

Washington Capitals Acquire:
Logo of the Washington Capitals

Anthony Mantha · $5,700,000

Sum: $5,700,000
Change: +$675,000
Trade

Detroit Red Wings Acquire:
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings

Richard Pánik · $1,675,000
Jakub Vrána · $3,350,000
2021 1st round pick (WSH - #23 - Wyatt Johnston)
2022 2nd round pick (WSH - #52 - Dmitri Buchelnikov)

Sum: $5,025,000
Change: -$675,000

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Oh man looking back at some of these trades years later. This one will also sting

St. Louis Blues Acquire:
Logo of the St. Louis Blues

2016 1st round pick (WSH - #26 - Tage Thompson)

Sum: $0
Change: $0
Trade

2016 1st round pick (STL - #28 - Lucas Johansen)
2016 3rd round pick (WSH - #87 - Garrett Pilon)

This 2014 series of trades is kindof crazy... Also it looks like these were right when we switched GMs
Brian MacLellanMay 26, 2014 – present

New York Rangers Acquire:
Logo of the New York Rangers

2014 4th round pick (CHI - #118 - Igor Shesterkin)
2014 4th round pick (WSH - #104 - Ryan Mantha)

Trade

2014 3rd round pick (NYR - #89 - Nathan Walker)

Jun. 28, 2014

Buffalo Sabres Acquire:
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres

2014 2nd round pick (WSH - #44 - Eric Cornel)
2014 3rd round pick (WSH - #74 - Brycen Martin)

Trade

2014 2nd round pick (WPG - #39 - Vitek Vanecek)

May 1, 2014

New York Islanders Acquire:
Logo of the New York Islanders

Jaroslav Halák · $3,750,000

Sum: $3,750,000
Change: +$3,750,000
Trade

2014 4th round pick (CHI - #118 - Igor Shesterkin)

Change: -$3,750,000

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
ftfy

Milano - slow

Strome - not fast
Malenstyn - not fast
Protas - not fast

NAK - kinda fast
AA - kinda fast
Lap - kinda fast

Fever - fast
CMM- fast
Miro - fast
Not trying to be a dick but can’t take this list seriously if you have CMM in a tier above Lapi for speed and if you think Malenstyn is slow.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I've looked at Martin Necas as an option and I guess I just don't see the fit. He seems very much like another middle 6 guy according to the numbers, yet he's projected to come in at 7 x $7.5M by Evolving Hockey and would cost something in a trade unless Carolina just doesn't qualify him.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I think the only really viable way to get a player of that caliber is to draft one, in the Top 4-5 of the draft. Apart from very rare circumstances like Tavares and his pajamas, players like that who are established in the league just rarely ever become available. Trading for someone like that will take more than a few third liners and picks.
Carlson was drafted 27th.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Henrik Zetterberg was a 7th round pick and Dominik Hasek was a 10th round pick.

Obviously late rounders isn't likely to be the path to success for a whole team, but a roster full of top 5 picks can also fail. Someone mentioned the Sabres, and then there's the Oilers for the past decade.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Here's the thing, in 10 full years of GMing MacLellan has drafted, traded for, signed, claimed off waivers, poached from NCAA, smuggled into the country inside a horse carcass a grand total of ZERO forwards, defensemen or goalies of franchise or even perennial all star caliber. Z-E-R-O. That's 10 offseasons/seasons to work the phones and 70 draft picks to play with. That is a statistically impressive level of futility. Every single cornerstone player we have had from 2014 through 2024 was from McPhee. Even all star Tom Wilson was McPhee (who also got Filip Forsberg in the same draft. Yeah he immediately flushed him down the toilet but he's still a much better player than anyone BMac has brought in). Even Pittsburgh despite being anchored by their franchise players as much as we are still found Kessel and Guentzel in that time frame. The closest you have for BMac is TJ Oshie (great player but he has never cracked 60 points and cracked 35 goals once. Love him but he's very firmly a support player and has a Boone Jenner type career if he's your top dog), Dylan Strome (jury still out but he is firmly not in the Ovechkin/Backstrom/prime Kuznetsov echelon at this point even though he's getting better), and Matt Niskanen on defense (good #2 but no Green, Carlson). He didn't draft one single Roope Hintz, Jason Robertson, or Wyatt Johnston (all stolen by one single team since he was GM). No Tage Thompson, Jordan Kyrou, Robert Thomas, Vince Dunn (again same team even if half of them left). No trading for Eichel or Stone or signing Pietrangelo (all done by a single team basically run by McPhee lol). No dumpster dives or waiver claims of Verhaeghe or Forsling or Montour (again, single team that found several other elite players in the last couple years). You may think Tavares's pajamas are rare but I can point to virtually every team having gotten multiple players closer to the Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Carlson echelon than the grand total of zero that have graced the caps roster for even a day since BMac took over. Even Jim Benning fell ass backwards into JT Miller and the idiot that was Jim Botteril still somehow got Tage Thompson (not counting the 1st overall Dahlin since anyone could have done that). We had a very good chance to trade up for Michkov (I really doubt Phoenix was married to picking Simashev with the 6th overall instead of the 8th overall and they were the top team in the league to stockpile freebee assets by far) but BMac stuck to his history and while we likely got a pretty good player, he would have to utterly explode in his development to be in the Ovechkin/Backstrom tier rather than the Oshie/Wilson one.

I don't know about you but if I see someone working for 10 years and they have a track record of ZERO of doing a certain thing I don't exactly expect them to suddenly be good at it. He's very firmly a round out a star roster by paying market/over market value for available players with pretty firm ceilings kind of guy, not a pick out a diamond in the rough kind of guy. The kind of return he put up for Mantha other orgs get Reinhart or prime Kessel. Thats just who he is and has been since the middle of Obama's second term. Which is why I would very much like for him to try and land Marner instead of plying the same trade that got him 0 in 10 years.

Well, there's a salary cap, and the Caps had those perennial all star types already on the roster, in Ovi, Backie, JC and Kuzy. How many $10M/year players (in todays dollars) can you cram into one roster?

Suggesting "why didn't they trade for Eichel" when they were already maxed out on the cap paying Ovi, Backie and JC, just doesn't add up. This team was winning Presidents Cups and one Stanley Cup over the last ten years while Ovi was still dominating the goal scoring department. They didn't need more stars, they needed their supporting cast to fully gel, which only happened in June 2018. They kept the 2018 Cup winner intact trying to run it back, but injuries derailed that effort. Then the core suddenly aged (or quit (Kuz)) all at once in the last three years.

So suggesting GMBM failed at acquiring all stars, when they already had a fair share of them taking up the cap space, misses the point. If you want to fault him for not adding players who became available, then explain which core roster players you would have dumped to make the cap room for those additions?

You can't just waive your hands and replace Lars Eller with Jack Eichel in the salary cap era. If the Caps were stingy on spending cap space then you might have a reason to fault them for not adding top line talent over the last 10 years. But that's not the situation. They always spent to the cap and always had their own home grown stars to pay.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

One of the best picks the Caps ever made, like, ever. But you can't count on franchise cornerstones that late in the draft, every year. Most 27th overall picks, become Brian Sutherby or Jeff Shultz or Joe Finley. The Caps history in the back half of the first round is pretty good overall, but still well less than 50% success rate.

They also drafted Anton Gustafsson 21st overall, that same year. Utter bust. The law of averages is in play here.

Reactions: Calicaps

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
these people that bag GMBM astound me

who do you want as GM that would have done or is doing a better job?

just crazy talk
only knock I have is playing the last 5 years without a real goaltender (I like Lindgren). True he was handcuffed by the cap and winning the cup causes the problem of having to reward players most likely on the downward swing of their careers but as soon Holtby fell apart / left, nothing real was done to give a team that may have had one more shot at winning a real chance with a proven goaltender. Vanny, Sammy, Kuemper all suck / sucked. Even if Lundqvist hadnt had his health issues NY let him go. DId he really have anything left. Lindgren was a nice surprise

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Feels like we have this conversation every couple months with GMBM…

Hes been good at finding value plays to maximize the roster at limited cap - I think of Dowd, Lindgren, Strome when he was first signed, Sheary at league minimum, TVR when he first came on around $1 mil, Gustafssson last year, even Brett Connolly years ago, he’s quite good at this!

He doesn’t give out many horrendous contracts, especially long term, but he’s given out enough that have limited us in the near term. The Hagelin/Panik contracts were questionable at the time. Those both resulted in dumping Burakovsky and Stephenson. Bura was probably on his way out anyway to be sure, he needed the change of scenery. And I get that Stephenson wasn’t playing great when he was dumped for a 5th, but feels like we just didn’t give our young players a little more leash. And then dumping Panik was a big part of the Mantha trade too.

Same is true when we dumped Siegs for Chara. And I loved seeing Chara in a caps uni, that was fun. But we let go another perfectly solid young player for a vet. It was ultimately not a smart play.

And then he’s just generally missed on being part of any high impact acquisitions. I think of Devon Toews or Sam Reinhart for instance. Both likely could have been had but we didn’t do it. Maybe he tried, I have no idea!

I say all this because I get tired of seeing “what did you expect GMBM to do??” All the time. There were plenty of moves to be made (or not made) and he’s definitely missed on a few. And I’m not saying this as a means of calling for his job, he’s been mostly ok in my opinion. But he has fumbled things a few times

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Necas would immediately become their fastest skilled player, no? And he's at the right age. It would cost something like their first and a prospect probably. More than Ehlers given his age/contract unless Carolina is indeed just looking to clear him out to quickly invest elsewhere.

While I think there's wisdom in being patient deciding where to spend their cap space it may be that they should look to move their first and perhaps more to land a legit pace and skill upgrade, esp. for a younger talent. There are over a dozen potential upgrades to be had in UFA but they really do seem to want to continue getting younger. Perhaps with the way Lapierre & Miro are playing and Leonard is developing they're comfortable with the pipeline to the point of not absolutely needing to add a mid-first to the mix.

Necas is young enough to where it can be sold as a strong near-term move and one that would offer more certainty compared to even a talent like Eiserman. Marner is better than Necas but will also cost more all-around. When it comes to Ehlers, though, at 28 and a year away from UFA that age range is to the point where they probably should just look to UFA instead. Balancing early trades vs. what may or may not be available in UFA or interested in signing in DC is challenging. But it definitely seems like if there's a younger talent available they plan on taking a run at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad