Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Want nothing to do with Marner, he sounds like a locker room cancer prima donna with no heart, RS points be damned; the Anti-Oshie
Locker room cancer or prima donna is extremely thin gossip. Marner getting singled out while Matthews, Nylander and Tavares dodge criticism is ridiculous to me.

Of course few people actually know, but Carberry would know!

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Reinhart is a bit buyer beware. A big chunk of his goals scored come from the PP. No way the Oilers will let Draisaitl end up with another team.

Draisaitl hates living in Edmonton. If he doesn't want to sign an extension over the summer, Holland's best move would be to trade him and maximize the ROI vs. letting him walk for nothing.

Reactions: Misery74

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I also know for a fact TOR has discussed moving Marner.

What I don't know is the character evaluation and whether he'd waive his NMC for DC. But I could see him really benefitting from escaping the Toronto market and coming to a team with a great locker room culture where doesn't need to be The Guy. IDK what Mac and obv Carbs' thoughts are though.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Man some of the comments of Marner reminds me of the crap some around these boards would say about Ovi and Backstrom in 2013/2014/2015

They’re no heart, no compete losers until they finally win!
I honestly think we need to stay the course. I haven’t chimed in on Marner yet, but I think it’s too early for us to buy a player like that.

That said, he doesn’t show well for himself in the postseason.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I honestly think we need to stay the course. I haven’t chimed in on Marner yet, but I think it’s too early for us to buy a player like that.

That said, he doesn’t show well for himself in the postseason.

He's almost a PPG in his career in the postseason.

11G + 38A = 49P in 54 playoff games.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
re. Oshie and peeing in a bottle: iirc, the Oshies have four kids, and one is really young - was in someone's arms at his 1000th game ceremony - and another is maybe three or four. Most parents spend time on the floor with their kids, especially when they're younger than five. So Osh having to relieve himself in the manner he described is no big surprise.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Has Oshie ever heard of sitting down on a toilet to pee?! I deal with it with my 80 year old dementia father, but common Oshie is only 37 years old! Either he has a pride issue sitting on a toilet or he's over dramatizing the situation.
You have some batshit takes sometimes…”pride issue or over dramatizing” are you for real?

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
He’s under contract next year. Bear, that is
That's why I'm asking. He went into the Player Assistance Program a month ago and we hadn't heard anything since... right up until about an hour after I made that comment when it was reported he'd been cleared to leave the program. So that answers my question about how much longer they thought he'd be in there, next question is what'd they think of his tryout this year and what role do they envisage for him next year.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Has Oshie ever heard of sitting down on a toilet to pee?! I deal with it with my 80 year old dementia father, but common Oshie is only 37 years old! Either he has a pride issue sitting on a toilet or he's over dramatizing the situation.

Thanks for already pointing out what I just said about Marner! :rolleyes:
You've clearly never had severe back issues.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I also know for a fact TOR has discussed moving Marner.

What I don't know is the character evaluation and whether he'd waive his NMC for DC. But I could see him really benefitting from escaping the Toronto market and coming to a team with a great locker room culture where doesn't need to be The Guy. IDK what Mac and obv Carbs' thoughts are though.
The problem is he would need to be the guy.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
The problem is he would need to be the guy.

Yes and no. The production, yeah. But leadership wise, It's Ovie, Carlson, and Wilson's team. Marner could just focus on hockey and not worry about the outside noise... that is, theoretically anyway.

If we can't pry Draisaitl out of Edmonton, I'd take a one-year $11M gamble on it, especially if we send Kuemper's $5M back the other way as part of the deal.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Yes and no. The production, yeah. But leadership wise, It's Ovie, Carlson, and Wilson's team. Marner could just focus on hockey and not worry about the outside noise... that is, theoretically anyway.

If we can't pry Draisaitl out of Edmonton, I'd take a one-year $11M gamble on it, especially if we send Kuemper's $5M back the other way as part of the deal.
? Oshie is probably LTIR, and Wilson is going to Toronto in this proposal. Can’t have it both ways. Building via trades is very very difficult because it also costs you something.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
? Oshie is probably LTIR, and Wilson is going to Toronto in this proposal. Can’t have it both ways. Building via trades is very very difficult because it also costs you something.

Not in my proposal. The org is not trading Wilson.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Really wish the leafs lost tonight so they would be motivated to adjust the roster. :)

They will have 4 forwards over $10M next year. 2 of those 4 are already signed long term so i don’t know that they can (or want) to have 3 $10M+ guys signed long term. Leafs also have a lot of UFA’s. So freeing up cash to resign or replace with upgrades would help them.

I like Marner. 26 year old with 4x100pts. Yes please! As someone else noted, the leadership here is strong and Marner can just play hockey. Price would be high but leafs have no 2nd or 3rd this year, and no 1-4 rounds next year. We have a lot of draft capital to throw at this.

Reactions: um and Calicaps

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
If Wilson is not going to be included, is Kuemper, CMM, and the 2024 1st going to be enough? I don't think he's going to come cheap. Yes, he's is on an expiring deal, but he's been an 85+ point producer the last 3 years who is also solid defensively.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
If Wilson is not going to be included, is Kuemper, CMM, and the 2024 1st going to be enough? I don't think he's going to come cheap. Yes, he's is on an expiring deal, but he's been an 85+ point producer the last 3 years who is also solid defensively.

I'd do Kuemper, CMM, a 1st and another pick/prospect. Or maybe include Protas instead of McMichael.

Keep in mind if we don't ask Toronto for any salary retention, it will lower the price a bit as well. No retention, only 1 year left on his deal, and limited destinations given his NMC.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah the purpose of including Wilson in a potential deal is so that Washington isn't giving up a lot of futures or young players and also exploiting the fact that Toronto always thinks they need to get tougher (see: the 3 year deal given to Reaves, signing Domi and Bertuzzi, and continually trading for big stay at home D like Edmundson).

I also don't see why Toronto wants futures now in a potential trade. I guess they could flip those futures for a roster player, but that's an extra layer of complication I don't have faith their management would be able to execute. They are likely going to want to contend next year and the 17th overall doesn't do anything to help that pursuit.

If they feel they need to do something to shake up the core if they flame out, from their (warped) perspective wouldn't Wilson be an incredibly attractive piece, especially after seeing a guy like Marchand have his way with them again?

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah the purpose of including Wilson in a potential deal is so that Washington isn't giving up a lot of futures or young players and also exploiting the fact that Toronto always thinks they need to get tougher (see: the 3 year deal given to Reaves, signing Domi and Bertuzzi, and continually trading for big stay at home D like Edmundson).

I also don't see why Toronto wants futures now in a potential trade. I guess they could flip those futures for a roster player, but that's an extra layer of complication I don't have faith their management would be able to execute. They are likely going to want to contend next year and the 17th overall doesn't do anything to help that pursuit.

If they feel they need to do something to shake up the core if they flame out, from their (warped) perspective wouldn't Wilson be an incredibly attractive piece, especially after seeing a guy like Marchand have his way with them again?

31 other teams would want Wilson on their team. I know you're down on the player but it's clear this organization has been grooming him to be Captain after Ovie retires - including to the point where Ovie straight up said he was "probably a future captain" in his breakdown day press conference. The org is not going to move him.

BMac talked about having all that draft capital to be able to use in the trade market. I'd imagine TOR is no different. And by taking $11M off their books, we're also implicitly giving them the asset of cap space to use in the open market and/or to re-sign guys like Domi.

They need middle 6 guys, D and G. We can solve for at least two of those between Kuemper and Mikey/Protas, plus give them a high pick and potentially more. That's a fair deal IMO.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I doubt the Leafs will take on a bad contract like Kuempers.

If Kuemper is moved it's probably to a team who is not competing and wants draft picks.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I doubt the Leafs will take on a bad contract like Kuempers.

If Kuemper is moved it's probably to a team who is not competing and wants draft picks.

Aside from Saros, though, what goalies are available that would be better than Darcy? Boston is not going to trade Ullmark within the division and Markstrom has a full-NMC and may not want to stay in Canada bc of media & taxes.

I'm sure TOR will take a swing at Saros, but otherwise it's slim pickings out there. Maybe we can retain some on Kuemper to sweeten the deal. Darcy is nevertheless a Stanley Cup-winning goaltender who could mentor Woll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad