Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t know why but I am almost positive they go hard after Jake DeBrusk. He has the profile of someone they’d target: a former first round pick with strong fancies looking for more consistent minutes in a scoring role and he has speed to burn. He fits what they need in the top six and I think he’ll have a tough time getting a contract or the role he wants in Boston.

I’d absolutely call about Ehlers in Winnipeg as well. Not sure if he’d be available but next year is the final year of his contract and Winnipeg may not want to lose him for nothing after next season if he makes it clear he won’t extend.

I put the odds at greater than 50/50 that Washington trades the first round pick this year. It’s doubtful that someone drafted 17th overall or close to that will have a meaningful impact to this team while it matters and I suspect they’ll look to use the pick to make the team more competitive next year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't really see how we have any room for a large D signing next year.

On the right they've got Carlson (8ish million), Jensen (4ish million), and TVR (4ish million) all locked in. Unless you're thinking they're trading one or both of Jensen or TVR, none of those guys are sitting for long stretches and even if they move one Iorio is probably at the point where he's ready to be the 6th or 7th D in the NHL. So the right side seems locked down.

On the left, I'd argue it'd even more locked down. Sandin and Fehervary are basically locked in as the 1 and 2 LD on the team. AA has had another year where he's started playing extremely strong down the stretch, and with the struggles the whole team had transitioning into Carbs system I'd reckon that was a big hurdle for him to overcome. So unless you're looking to unload one of Sandin or Fehervary, or spend big money to replace Alexeyev, I don't know what you're spending money on.

They 1000% need forwards. GMBM has told us they need forwards. Why would they not be going big game fishing for a forward?
Oh they’d absolutely be dealing out Jensen or TVR if they were able to acquire a top pair d-man. 100%. Candidly, whichever one has more value, either in a separate deal, or in a trade for a top pair D.

I just don’t see the market for forwards being very exceptional. I could obv be very wrong.

Reactions: Calicaps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't really see how we have any room for a large D signing next year.

On the right they've got Carlson (8ish million), Jensen (4ish million), and TVR (4ish million) all locked in. Unless you're thinking they're trading one or both of Jensen or TVR, none of those guys are sitting for long stretches and even if they move one Iorio is probably at the point where he's ready to be the 6th or 7th D in the NHL. So the right side seems locked down.

On the left, I'd argue it'd even more locked down. Sandin and Fehervary are basically locked in as the 1 and 2 LD on the team. AA has had another year where he's started playing extremely strong down the stretch, and with the struggles the whole team had transitioning into Carbs system I'd reckon that was a big hurdle for him to overcome. So unless you're looking to unload one of Sandin or Fehervary, or spend big money to replace Alexeyev, I don't know what you're spending money on.

They 1000% need forwards. GMBM has told us they need forwards. Why would they not be going big game fishing for a forward?
If BMac can find a way to move out Kuemper's contract to maybe the Kings...I strongly feel Hunter Shepard should be backing up Lindgren next season.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I don’t know why but I am almost positive they go hard after Jake DeBrusk. He has the profile of someone they’d target: a former first round pick with strong fancies looking for more consistent minutes in a scoring role and he has speed to burn. He fits what they need in the top six and I think he’ll have a tough time getting a contract or the role he wants in Boston.

I’d absolutely call about Ehlers in Winnipeg as well. Not sure if he’d be available but next year is the final year of his contract and Winnipeg may not want to lose him for nothing after next season if he makes it clear he won’t extend.

I put the odds at greater than 50/50 that Washington trades the first round pick this year. It’s doubtful that someone drafted 17th overall or close to that will have a meaningful impact to this team while it matters and I suspect they’ll look to use the pick to make the team more competitive next year.
I wouldn’t trade the pick unless it’s a great deal. I’m not sure what you mean by the “while it matters” comment. The Ovie era window already closed. We are already rebuilding. If we can rebuild fast enough maybe he can still be around, but we should be looking at the next group of guys to lead the team.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Shep's not an NHL goalie. More realistic to see Clay as the backup.
Here's the question:

With both at a similar age, is Stevenson's last year with the 1.96/.924% (which got us hyped) followed with a 2.06/.922% better enough to deny Shepard, where last year's 2.18/.916% was met with this year's 1.76/.929%?

Give them pecking order odds, let's see what Shep learned (I originally forgot he played this year) but think he learned from it and it's no guarantee who is better than who just yet even though Stevenson definitely has the better set of tools.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We need top-end talent. Desperately.

I think our depth looks better than i'd have expected a while back, given there are lots of options that can grow into good middle-6 players but in terms of bonafide top-line stars or #1 D's, there are none. Leonard is right there on the edge as a guy that can become a top-line winger but him carrying his own line straight after jumping to NHL propably isn't how you want to bring him in. Next season is going to be what it is again, there are no short-term fixes on top-end talent. They'll again be somewhere from really bad team (if goaltending and team D falters) to bubble-team, depending where their goaltending and defense brings them. Leonard joining will help, but as i said, it's a tough ask to ask him to carry his own line. Given where Ovechkin likely is in a year, there isn't much help on the top-line front for him. Strome was really good this season but if it's him and Leonard without a legit top-end talent next to them, they are going to have some really rough nights.

That said we haven't really even started any sort of rebuild yet, so i really like where we are already. It's been somewhere between hanging on to dear life for Playoff spot to re-tooling (selling at the deadlines), and it's worked wonders so far. But that only gets you so far, because it's really hard to find a legit top-line talent later in the drafts. I do like that they seem to have a clear plan of how to approach things. They do have lots of picks in the upcoming drafts too. If there is a clear #1 D or top-line forward available, use the cap space by all means. There just rarely is, so perhaps it'd wiser to use that draft capital to move up in drafts, where there might be some sliders. Eiserman would be a pretty good candidate this summer, along with Catton and Helenius, and perhaps one of the D's.

I'd like to see them identify their FA targets early and go after them in regards to top-end talent. There aren't many available and the ones that make it there, often have some huge red flags. For instance, i wouldn't want to go after Reinhart given that i'm not sold that he's the guy driving his line. He's an elite complementary player but we don't have that Barkov next to him, and we don't have the personnel to feed him 20+ PP goals on the Oshie spot. That contract is going to be an albatross as he's likely to dial back down to 40-40 guy. Worst-case scenario is that he's the next Huberdeau, for the next 7 years. I'd propably move towards the bigger fish that might end up there in 2025. Most of them will likely be re-signed but it's a really good class. Draisatl, Rantanen and Marner are all elite talent that can carry their own lines. Travis Konecny, Nikolaj Ehlers and Pavel Buchnevich are really great players too, and likely wouldn't command nearly as much as a guy like Reinhart would this summer. On defense there is Shea Theodore. He might be available in the summer already, if Vegas fall quickly. Ekblad i'm not sold on as #1 D but he might become available, depending what Panthers do with their D.

That doesn't mean they should sit on their cap space this summer. Use it. Don't go after the guys that will end up being the terrible contracts few years from now. Go after the guys that get left in the no-man's land after the first wave of signings. There are always some sort of really good players that don't get the term they want early and whose options are thin afterwards. Caps should be right there for them. If there is a guy like Toffoli, Arvidsson, Teravainen, DeBrusk, Perron, Tarasenko, Montour or someone like that who doesn't get the term they want then Caps can afford to overpay them for a short-term contract. There is definitely an opening left from Leonard not signing on the top-6. If nothing shakes out (which is doubtful) on deals like that, there is always the option to weaponize the cap space and take back some short-term bad contracts and add picks like that to use to acquire players and move up the draft. Quality over quantity should be their plan going forward.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
There's really only one way to get top of the line talent unless you luck out like John Carlson...nobody here wants to hear it but the whole dynasty we just witnessed for the past 15 years was because we drafted in the top five for several years in a row and nailed a couple of the picks. 8-19

Reactions: Corby78

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Stamkos is probably the best short-term play. Not a great two-way 5v5 player, though, and moving him over into the bumper spot could be an issue. A big issue with just focusing on wingers is that their centers and attacking defenders aren't good enough either. They low-key have loads of work to do if they really want to get out of the mushy middle and back into being a threat.

While they may have a number of okay middle six types those guys are a dime-a-dozen. They were able to add Milano and Strome for nothing. Don't over-invest in middling talents. If need be for overall team building purposes they definitely ought to thin the herd a bit if it could possibly net them something closer to true impact talent. They need gems or, failing that, something resembling a more focused identity beyond trying to be a somewhat stingy (but clunky and somewhat soft) checking team.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I don’t see any reason why the Caps should be using their 1st round pick this year to actually draft someone. It’s a trade piece now.

I think the focus needs to be 1-2 top 6 players. I wouldn’t be surprised if Carberry and Ovi begged BMac for a permanent play driving 1C for him to finish out his career with. I’m not sure who that is but the shuffling has to stop and I think Strome is a great 2C.

Next on the list is a goal scoring winger 35-40 goals. I’m interested in Laine, high upside low acquisition cost. If Toronto flames out Marner or Nylander are higher acquisition costs but guaranteed production. And it pains me to say this but, 8 isn’t gonna be here forever need someone to be in place in 2 years.

Third priority is 1LD and it’s Chychrun, he is a perfect compliment to John Carlson.

Then fill in the lines with the younger players. Ivan M is a 2nd or 3rd line winger. Lapierre or McMichael is a 3C. Leonard fills in a top 6 spot a year from now. Milano is locked in at 2/3 wing.

Top Trade Pieces
-2024 First, and I would even consider 2025 first for the right player, all star level
-One of McMichael or Lapierre. They are turning into pretty much the same player, a bit redundant.
-This is going to be controversial but Chucky. His cap hit to performance has to be tops in the league. I am of the mindset that Darcy has to get better next year, he can’t really get worse right? Clay Stevenson can come in as a back up and maybe as the season progresses split.
-Dowd, you’ve been a great warrior but final year, I’m sorry time to move on and add him to a package.

Not a ton but there are some packages there to improve.

Reactions: DWGie26

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don’t see any reason why the Caps should be using their 1st round pick this year to actually draft someone. It’s a trade piece now.

I think the focus needs to be 1-2 top 6 players. I wouldn’t be surprised if Carberry and Ovi begged BMac for a permanent play driving 1C for him to finish out his career with. I’m not sure who that is but the shuffling has to stop and I think Strome is a great 2C.

Next on the list is a goal scoring winger 35-40 goals. I’m interested in Laine, high upside low acquisition cost. If Toronto flames out Marner or Nylander are higher acquisition costs but guaranteed production. And it pains me to say this but, 8 isn’t gonna be here forever need someone to be in place in 2 years.

Third priority is 1LD and it’s Chychrun, he is a perfect compliment to John Carlson.

Then fill in the lines with the younger players. Ivan M is a 2nd or 3rd line winger. Lapierre or McMichael is a 3C. Leonard fills in a top 6 spot a year from now. Milano is locked in at 2/3 wing.

Top Trade Pieces
-2024 First, and I would even consider 2025 first for the right player, all star level
-One of McMichael or Lapierre. They are turning into pretty much the same player, a bit redundant.
-This is going to be controversial but Chucky. His cap hit to performance has to be tops in the league. I am of the mindset that Darcy has to get better next year, he can’t really get worse right? Clay Stevenson can come in as a back up and maybe as the season progresses split.
-Dowd, you’ve been a great warrior but final year, I’m sorry time to move on and add him to a package.

Not a ton but there are some packages there to improve.
I think Lapierre is a 2C in the making. He’s run out of gas a bit it seems but he showed some real skill and IQ during the season. Even last night when he was moved up with Ovie, it immediately produced scoring chances. I think he brings demonstrably more than McMike. Obviously, in the right deal you trade anyone, but I’d aim to keep Lappy and move 24.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Humans suffer from recency bias… it is normal. But consider this:

* The last few years were GMBM going dumpster diving for “cheap” pieces that could contribute to keeping things competitive and NOT doing a full rebuild
* move pics for immediate help hurting our draft pool
* We have had no cap space to add impact players
* we had lots of untouchable bloated or un-moveable contracts
* we have been drafting for upside with CMM, Lappy, Miro. Leonard more pragmatic

Just because we have taken this approach recently, does not mean it is the right/doable approach going forward.

To @OV Rocks point, we need top line talent now (for OV years which is absolutely still a thing). We have money (cap space) and assets (lots of picks and some baked prospects). The forward side is easier. Defense will require corresponding moves.

But I want to see 1 (maybe 2) Top 6 forwards. perhaps 1 top 4 on defense with a move. I would like to do that though. Move Jensen and bring in a Top 4 RD. TVR as 3RD and Bear as 7.

I did NOT want to chase Goalie shit. Our combined cap is just fine and Shepherd (or Mud) can be reasonable call-ups next year.

Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think Lapierre is a 2C in the making. He’s run out of gas a bit it seems but he showed some real skill and IQ during the season. Even last night when he was moved up with Ovie, it immediately produced scoring chances. I think he brings demonstrably more than McMike. Obviously, in the right deal you trade anyone, but I’d aim to keep Lappy and move 24.
Agreed here. McMichael is either a tradeable 3C at a young age, or he may end up being the 4C replacement for Dowd. So he could now be a logical trade piece.

I don’t want to trade a bunch of our youth just for two OV years. But willing to package up our first and some combination of our other litany of 2nd and 3rd round picks over the next three years. First round pick this year likely won’t be NHL ready for 3-5 years. Rather have that help/impact now.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m bullish on one big/important move this summer (thinking a player upwards of 8m a year). In whatever form it occurs. GMBM is itching to do it. He’s far far less limited than he was going into last summer.

So I’m certain we will see one biggie.

I also think we will see one medium move (5-7m range) as well. Short term player (Zucker type or Similar D player).

IF some money goes out with it (Jensen?
TVR? Keumper? Etc), then maybe another move to augment the first 2.

But I think that’s about it

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
The equivalent of the Eichel/Tkachuk-trades would be.

Wilson, McMichael, 1st, 2nd
For
Marner extended 8yrs @ $11,750,000

Yey or ney?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
That would be the new Jeff Skinner contract with less production.
So what, we need top 6 forwards, he’s the best one available. We overpay or we find the next max pacioretty

Cap going up and the old guys are rolling off, not too concerned about it

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Unless he wants out, I doubt EDM moves on from Leon as much as I'd like him on the Caps. He and McDavid are the equivalent to PIT's Crosby Malkin. Can definitely see the Leafs moving on from Marner if they disappoint again after locking up Nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad