Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I love it. Some of my trash cleaned up as well.

While some glaring negatives to Leonard going back to BC, there are some silver linings as well:

1. Leonard will still develop. He has headroom for another development year in NCAA. It will be interesting to see what letter he gets on his chest next year. But he will have one.
2. We have a lot of youth right now so by him not coming it means we can take that spot and sign a top 6 FA who can score in the NHL today!

I’d like to see us get a 2LW. Really a 1 LW who knows who has that role here and takes his talents to second line. Not a 3LW who can maybe play up to 2LW (we have Milano for that).

We need a legit scoring top forward.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I was hoping Leonard would make the jump, but only from it having potential for a great story (check out Ken Dryden's NHL debut playoff run...).

Absolutely fine with his decision, as it is his career, and Caps need to respect that, and keep him happy and the relationship positive.

What Caps definitely need do is avoid running out and signing a long term high price FA this summer that blocks Leonard or any of the other young'uns.

Sign someone for a one year deal or just run with someone who steps up. Key is to get our young'uns all here and see how they gel - then fill gaps with FAs as needed. Patience.

P.S. Leonard could even change his mind on his own over the summer - you never know with a 19 year old...

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I love it. Some of my trash cleaned up as well.

While some glaring negatives to Leonard going back to BC, there are some silver linings as well:

1. Leonard will still develop. He has headroom for another development year in NCAA. It will be interesting to see what letter he gets on his chest next year. But he will have one.
2. We have a lot of youth right now so by him not coming it means we can take that spot and sign a top 6 FA who can score in the NHL today!

I’d like to see us get a 2LW. Really a 1 LW who knows who has that role here and takes his talents to second line. Not a 3LW who can maybe play up to 2LW (we have Milano for that).

We need a legit scoring top forward.
I don’t know why everyone is hung up on getting a 2LW. We need a top line player at any position.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know why everyone is hung up on getting a 2LW. We need a top line player at any position.
Top-6 talent will be a more realistic acquisition than a top-line one. We need GMBM and Co. to find another Strome-type addition, where you hope he blossoms here. Not saying 2LW is my primary target either, but we need offensive skill injections where ever we can smartly add them.

Reactions: Calicaps

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Top-6 talent will be a more realistic acquisition than a top-line one. We need GMBM and Co. to find another Strome-type addition, where you hope he blossoms here. Not saying 2LW is my primary target either, but we need offensive skill injections where ever we can smartly add them.
You're probably right, but a few option usually pop up in the offseason. First priority should be a first line player, then you settle for what you can find.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
My rationale is that we have good AHL depth at RW for next year in Frank (assuming we resign him but his is RFA so it is our choice), Trineyev, Sutter, and Dube. None will start the year in Washington but all can be callups. I wouldn’t do a center either. So that is why I have been saying 2LW.

If we are signing a true youngish top line talent, then it is going to have Term attached to it. I don’t think GMBM is looking for a has-been old guy on a one year rehab deal. Leonard not coming frees us up to do that. Could have been his spot. Now he’ll be an Oshie replacement when he turns pro.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
My rationale is that we have good AHL depth at RW for next year in Frank (assuming we resign him but his is RFA so it is our choice), Trineyev, Sutter, and Dube. None will start the year in Washington but all can be callups. I wouldn’t do a center either. So that is why I have been saying 2LW.

If we are signing a true youngish top line talent, then it is going to have Term attached to it. I don’t think GMBM is looking for a has-been old guy on a one year rehab deal. Leonard not coming frees us up to do that. Could have been his spot. Now he’ll be an Oshie replacement when he turns pro.
That doesn’t seem like impressive depth, that’s a whole lot of long shots.

On the right side, I don’t think Oshie can handle top line duty reliably anymore, Wilson doesn’t really have the offensive capability, everyone else is just potential. Left wing and Center are also not strong. This is why we finished 28th in goals this year. Our offence stinks.

I don’t think an offence led by Strome and Ovechkin is a very good idea for next year. And there’s no position where we are so stacked we can’t find room for a top line player. And not a has been as you said.

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Boat anchor contracts were obstacles to bringing in top talent over the last 2 seasons. They were openly and aggressively seeking top 6 players and had a very hard time finding anyone.

With the anchors gone we'll definitely see at least one addition, maybe two.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Boat anchor contracts were obstacles to bringing in top talent over the last 2 seasons. They were openly and aggressively seeking top 6 players and had a very hard time finding anyone.

With the anchors gone we'll definitely see at least one addition, maybe two.
We have so much Cap space which we haven’t had in a long time. So we don’t need to force Miro or Leonard (which now not our choice anyway). Now looking at it without Leonard, it could be a LW or RW. I think we take this year (while we have Dowd) to see if both McMichael and Lapierre belong in the top 9. I think something like this:

OV-McMichael-1RW FA
2LW-Strome-Protas
Milano-Lapierre-Oshie
Malenstyn-Dowd-Wilson
Frank, Sutter, Dube, Limoges, and Huntington (whom i would consider signing two-way).

Lots of options with this. I’d like to see Sutter at 4RW and perhaps take over for Dowd. Center depth is Protas, Sutter, Sgarbosa, Huntington which isn’t great, but all could hold down some games in Washington. I’d rather go big on one than two 3-5M contracts. would allow a similar move on defense.

Reactions: um and g00n

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Throw a shit ton of money at Reinhart, like $11-$12 mil AAV
I have also been calling for a Reinhart deal. Lots here think he will get overpaid. 11-12M will be an overpay. If he will take an Oshie sized contract I would do it.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
some evening boredom had me wandering through some UFA options.

by division:

Atlantic:
DeBrusk BOS - eh
Olofsson BUF - nah
Kane DET - maybe?
Sprong DET - another round?
Reinhart FLA - meh, not a fan of paying for a career year
Stamkos TBL - old
Duclair TBL - possibly
Bertuzzi TOR - eh
If either Marner or B. Tkachuk shake loose they'd be targets

Metro:
Teravainen CAR - possibly
Guentzel CAR - maybe too expensive
Wennberg NYR - meh
Trade market could see Konecny, maybe Laine as a reclamation project

Central:
Pavelski/Duchene DAL - probably not leaving team, old
Beauvillier NSH - meh
Vrana STL - bridge probably burned
Toffoli WPG - possibly
Trade market rumors with Kyrou, maybe Colton from Col could be salary dump, Arizona probably not moving players now they're in Utah

Pacific:
Henrique EDM - old
Arvidsson LAK - possibly
Lindholm VAN - possibly, more center than winger
Marchessault VGK - old
Mantha VGK - polarizing
Trade market Zegras a name but doubtful, Mangiapane/Kuzmenko from Calgary short-term, Boeser/Garland from Vancouver from their salary cap issues

UFA forward market at the top end looks like Reinhart, Teravainen, Guentzel, Lindholm; second tier Kane, Stamkos, Bertuzzi, Marchessault

Duclair maybe too much of a rich man's Milano to fit, Arvidsson contract might be depressed by his injury but could be option, Teravainen seems a good fit if he wasn't Finnish. Doubt either Pavelski or Duchene have any interest coming East. Winger options from Calgary/Vancouver could be short-term fix.

Reinhart has more of a track record than I thought, but he's much more of an Oshie-type - best as your 3rd or 4th best forward, not your 1st or 2nd best. Paying him Oshie money in this cap environment is like 7mil a year, Nylander high-end comparable at 11.5, Timo Meier lower-end at 8.8. I wouldn't want to have his cap hit exceed Ovechkin's at 9.5.

We have room for UFAs this offseason, but after next year is the big reset - ~19mil in expirings next year in Backstrom, Oshie, and Kuznetsov's retention and nobody beyond Lapierre and McMichael with any sort of contract/raise. We'd have to punt on this offseason, but we could honestly sign both Marner and Draisaitl to full-market deals with all the space available after 24-25, while filling out the team.

• Wow
Reactions: um

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
11-12 would be market value for a player of his caliber
That's true for his production this year, but how about his non-contract years? He's certainly regressing next year because he shot 25% this year.

The guy's only had two point per game seasons. That's not worth a top 8 cap hit in the league. I don't doubt he'll get it, but I doubt he's worth it.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah, hopefully we can take advantage of one of the teams that flames out of the playoffs early and makes a panic trade.
You're probably right, but a few option usually pop up in the offseason. First priority should be a first line player, then you settle for what you can find.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
That's true for his production this year, but how about his non-contract years? He's certainly regressing next year because he shot 25% this year.

The guy's only had two point per game seasons. That's not worth a top 8 cap hit in the league. I don't doubt he'll get it, but I doubt he's worth it.
I think he probably re-ups in Fla, no state tax, and he loves his situation. I also don't think he's gonna make more than Tkachuk. They got Forsling to sign a sweetheart deal this year.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ideally i like guys need to compete for spots to keep them on the edge, and signing 1-2 middle six, bottom 4 is fine just to keep it real.

However things are rolling on a way where i think id like to just ”keep on track” and start rewarding the guys from our championship pedigree farm system.

From the FA pool ill take one top line winger with short contract. Nothing else.

Bring up Sutter to replace NAK. Give chances for Dube and Frank. Iorio is up and down. DO NOT trade or sign for 7D, we OWE that spot for McIlrath for the next season. He brings all you can hope for that role and has been true asset for the system.

That being said, who cares for now. Lets beat some Rags today!!! Unleash the Fury!

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

Fair I’ve come down on him a bit, but he’s getting $10mil on the open market and cap is going up a decent amount. Should expect some larger than typical AAVs this offseason

Players like Reinhart don’t hit the market often and we need scorers so I’d be willing to throw a lot at him

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Meh to Reinhart. Haven’t we all learned to beware the contract year bump?

I’d like to see the Caps add a top 4D this off season. That’s where to spend some real coin, as JC74 is aging (well, but still aging), and we truly don’t have anyone close to replace him.

We have a nice batch of forwards (tho prob NOT a 1C), but are relatively bereft at the D slot.

Then spend on short term deals for vet F’s. Unless you can grab a star F, but I don’t see one.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Meh to Reinhart. Haven’t we all learned to beware the contract year bump?

I’d like to see the Caps add a top 4D this off season. That’s where to spend some real coin, as JC74 is aging (well, but still aging), and we truly don’t have anyone close to replace him.

We have a nice batch of forwards (tho prob NOT a 1C), but are relatively bereft at the D slot.

Then spend on short term deals for vet F’s. Unless you can grab a star F, but I don’t see one.
I think there are two things we can do on Dee:
1. Sign a 1LD who can be paired with JC74 and push Fever to 3LD and Alexyev to 7D
2. Sign a 2RD (young) who can play behind JC74 and take his spot in couple of years. But in order to do this we need to trade at least one of TVR / Jensen. Bear will be 7D and Alexyev will be 3LD.

I like the second one and I’d like to see Jensen on way out. TVR gives more flexibility playing both sides and is always solid when we pair him with a young/lesser Dee. So Alexyev-TVR third pairing works.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I know there can be a strong fan bias to "do something", but I think it's fair to say a big part of the reason Caps are starting Round One today is keeping an open path for young'uns to step up.

Save the FA powder for a year or two to confirm what the young forwards gel into (and that means room for Leonard, Miroshnichenko, and even possibly Cristall, Funk, and Suzy).

I suspect the big FA move will be on D next summer or the one after. Or maybe a hockey trade plus pick capital that moves out a young forward who is very good but we don't have room for in exchange for a stud D...

Caps have an opportunity to sculpt a really fantastic line up if they take time and time moves well. May Ovi sticks around on year-to-year contracts and gets a few more Cups!

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't really see how we have any room for a large D signing next year.

On the right they've got Carlson (8ish million), Jensen (4ish million), and TVR (4ish million) all locked in. Unless you're thinking they're trading one or both of Jensen or TVR, none of those guys are sitting for long stretches and even if they move one Iorio is probably at the point where he's ready to be the 6th or 7th D in the NHL. So the right side seems locked down.

On the left, I'd argue it'd even more locked down. Sandin and Fehervary are basically locked in as the 1 and 2 LD on the team. AA has had another year where he's started playing extremely strong down the stretch, and with the struggles the whole team had transitioning into Carbs system I'd reckon that was a big hurdle for him to overcome. So unless you're looking to unload one of Sandin or Fehervary, or spend big money to replace Alexeyev, I don't know what you're spending money on.

They 1000% need forwards. GMBM has told us they need forwards. Why would they not be going big game fishing for a forward?

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Best (younger) players available. If it's Chychrun so be it. Iorio hasn't proven anything.

Realistically I don't know how they go about significantly improving their skilled effective pace. Pacioretty and NAK are expiring. Easy to let them go but adding a couple of $5-6M forwards doesn't seem like it would go far enough. Improvements are improvements but...they've got a way to go. Maybe Oshie hangs them up. He looks about done as far as playoff hockey goes. But even three average sorts of $5-6M forwards may not effectively cut it. They still get basically nothing from the blueline so they likely should attempt an offensive upgrade there as well (ideally also one that helps dial back Carlson's minutes a bit).

All in all still a puzzle that has incredibly limited upside and we'll see how far they can make cap space go. Not just thanks to a fading core but also really no true go-to younger players as yet. Leonard taking a pass is going to sting for a while IMO. Eventually presumably he'll join the mix...but they sorely need the swagger and effective engagement in all facets.

Reactions: Pigskin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad