Post-Game Talk: Caps/Rangers, 8pm EST, Phone Booth, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That was nasty for nastiness' sake. But I liked Milbury's answer (which is not a thing I say often). He said that yeah, if they stumble at all there's a risk they panic based on past experiences and that would get them into trouble, but "they are the team to beat" and so they need to take that attitude, stick to it, and play their game.

Eventually the Caps will lose a game in the playoffs and the media and fans will immediately present them the panic button. The meltdown on our forum will be epic.
Doesn't matter if they tank a game, just get beat or get ripped off by referees or bad luck. It will be entrance of the doom.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Eventually the Caps will lose a game in the playoffs and the media and fans will immediately present them the panic button. The meltdown on our forum will be epic.
Doesn't matter if they tank a game, just get beat or get ripped off by referees or bad luck. It will be entrance of the doom.

Agreed. Only thing that will really matter though is if they push that button or simply carry on.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I would have felt a lot better about these past 2 games if it was Carlson back there instead of Schmidt. I thought Schmidt's speed really neutralized several opponent rushes. He also gets back to pucks before forwards, which could keep us from getting bogged down by opponent forechecks, even if he is less stout defending them along the boards than, say, Carlzner.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I would have felt a lot better about these past 2 games if it was Carlson back there instead of Schmidt. I thought Schmidt's speed really neutralized several opponent rushes. He also gets back to pucks before forwards, which could keep us from getting bogged down by opponent forechecks, even if he is less stout defending them along the boards than, say, Carlzner.

Confused by this. You say you would have felt better having 74 but the rest of the post seems to be saying you think 88 is a value-add by comparison.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Need to keep playing.

I get it that they might rest some guys. But this is a really deep team with next to zero injury issues. BMac has built the team so that the guys who are usually sitting when everyone is healthy are good enough to play on most NHL teams. Hell, Tom Gilbert has been in the AHL for months. He would be #6 or #7 on pretty much any team but he's #9 here. If they rest some guys, the guys coming in should be more than prepared to show that they can be counted upon if someone goes down.

Keep the good run up, they are 9-1-0 in the last 10 and the loss was the Arizona -game which after Trotz called the team out. Keep up the winning attitude until the real games begin and get the guys playing confident hockey straight from the Game 1. I don't want to see another team shutting us out in the last game followed by the meaningless game excuse.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
We're arguing semantics honestly...:laugh:

but NYR would still hypothetically have to beat WSH/PIT/CBJ to win the Cup in addition to MTL. That's two superior teams whereas we'd have to beat one equal team.

Any way, one team will have to bust their ass to win it and I pray to all deities, it's the Caps lol
The Rangers don't have to play against the top half of the conference to reach the ECF if they finish ahead of Habs. Even if they don't they still don't have to play the top 3.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
April 12th can't come soon enough. I want the emotional rollercoaster back that I so desperately desire and regular season doesn't cut it.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Confused by this. You say you would have felt better having 74 but the rest of the post seems to be saying you think 88 is a value-add by comparison.

That's how I read it - two really good defensive performances back-to-back with our "No. 7" D guy replacing one of our top 2 D guys. That top 2 D guy will almost certainly be back in the lineup come playoff time.

Hats off to Schmidt - he's taking good advantage of every opportunity he gets.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm fine with the decision to keep Schmidt as the 7D to start the playoffs mainly because Carlson and to a lesser extent Alzner have been able to elevate their games in the postseason in the past. I don't particularly think it will happen this time especially since both seem to be battling injuries and their regular season performance has been brutal, but they have probably earned their shots to start based on past history.

The main concern I have is that if any of the vets struggle, will Trotz make an honest assessment and actually replace one of the vets with Schmidt? I kind of doubt it.

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
It's comforting watching the #7 D-man play back to back games that well after not playing at all for about a month. I feel much better about the defense going into the playoffs than I did last year. Having to watch Mike Weber play last year was absolutely dreadful.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed. Only thing that will really matter though is if they push that button or simply carry on.

this is why I have liked these last 3 games. they are serious. they cut all three teams to pieces. They had a breakdown and let CBJ back into their game but still slammed the door on them. The Leafs and Rangers didn't even get a sniff.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

It would be a lot better if our 23 minute blue line staple could handle fast rushing opponents as well as Schmidt is.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
Carlson used to be a fairly mobile skater. He has been downright slow since he returned from injury last mid-season.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Alzner looked much better with schmidt on his right.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Here's my take on Schmidt. If you face a fast team like the Penguins or the Rangers, you'd want to play him and scratch either Orpik or Alzner. If you play a heavy team like CBJ, then you want Orpik or Alzner over Schmidt. Now, Shattenkirk is new here and is only used to having Orpik as his partner and it's working well, so you wouldn't want to disrupt that.

Odd man out would be Alzner in that case. Seriously, we need to move on from him this summer. Orlov showed why he's better than Alzner this season, and yesterday's game was the best example. He caught up to Smith who had a partial breakaway and stapled his ass to the ground while Niskanen recovered the loose puck.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Here's my take on Schmidt. If you face a fast team like the Penguins or the Rangers, you'd want to play him and scratch either Orpik or Alzner. If you play a heavy team like CBJ, then you want Orpik or Alzner over Schmidt. Now, Shattenkirk is new here and is only used to having Orpik as his partner and it's working well, so you wouldn't want to disrupt that.

Odd man out would be Alzner in that case. Seriously, we need to move on from him this summer. Orlov showed why he's better than Alzner this season, and yesterday's game was the best example. He caught up to Smith who had a partial breakaway and stapled his ass to the ground while Niskanen recovered the loose puck.

Orlov still contributes nothing to special teams while Alzner is on our 1st PK unit, it would be tough to cut either of them. I think Orpik would be the 1st to go, he gets the least ice time when all 6 guys are playing.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Meaning that I was generally pleased with the blue line play, defensively and initiating the attack. This will not be the same blue line in the playoffs. So I don't have a good sense of what we will see in the playoffs, particularly against fast teams.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Quick someone do the math. How many more goals will be allowed with Schmidt in for Alzner, and Nate and Orlov on PK1 in the 4-6 minutes per game. Compare that against the expecting scoring boost with Nate in for all of Alzner's ES TOI.

Have all the top 4 playoff teams from the past 5 years ft. 2 pure stay at homers that will never sit, like we do? I'd like to think a Vezina winner should minimize the need, if only to a small degree.

I refuse to believe Orlov and Schmidt cannot PK, that they sucked at it before their time here.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Quick someone do the math. How many more goals will be allowed with Schmidt in for Alzner, and Nate and Orlov on PK1 in the 4-6 minutes per game. Compare that against the expecting scoring boost with Nate in for all of Alzner's ES TOI.

Have all the top 4 playoff teams from the past 5 years ft. 2 pure stay at homers that will never sit, like we do? I'd like to think a Vezina winner should minimize the need, if only to a small degree.

I refuse to believe Orlov and Schmidt cannot PK, that they sucked at it before their time here.

2-3 years ago I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams talking about letting Alzner walk. Funny, when I started reading your post my first impression was that your argument was going the other way. Schmidt playing 23 min a game, getting hammered 85 games a year by top lines...there's something to be said for Alzner's steadfastness. I think an Alzner has a positive effect on a season if he doesn't wow in any individual game. But yeah, salary considered, not sure he's a rebuilding piece (which may be our immediate future).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Just takes one blunder to lose a series. Next year both guys should get PK time if they're here. This year...forget it other than emergency. I suspect both numbers to be minimal...Pk'ing in college or the AHL isn't the same...if both even shouldered that load at those levels. Does anyone actually know via having watched them both in the AHL or College?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
good points caps and CCF.

We could basically take the leagues worst 1PKD and see his number, and project them to Schmidt and Orlov, as a worst case. But yeah I agree nothing is happening this year, but if Barry finds the need to shake up the D, who sits?

He certainly had no qualms about shaking up the D and even moving guys around right and left a year ago. Orlov, Schmidt, Orpik, Weber, the forgotten Chorney, even Alzner with his injury.... all were a hot mess at one time or another.

Orpiks injury/suspension had some say in the shuffles, but it was more than that. Our guys had no confidence nor the coaches confidence. Here we are, another presidents and Grant Jennings finalist... with just another year under their belts.

Pitt did just fine without homers. It is the way the game is evolving, and I don't like it but I cannot turn a blind eye. I know its unthinkable to sit Alzner Orpik or Carlson for a game, but I am not 100% convinced it will cost us the cup on a PK / random blunder.

Schmiddy is kind of having a breakout season it seems, but it's just not his time.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Meaning that I was generally pleased with the blue line play, defensively and initiating the attack. This will not be the same blue line in the playoffs. So I don't have a good sense of what we will see in the playoffs, particularly against fast teams.

Gotcha

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
this is why I have liked these last 3 games. they are serious. they cut all three teams to pieces. They had a breakdown and let CBJ back into their game but still slammed the door on them. The Leafs and Rangers didn't even get a sniff.

Yep. They squandered a few leads on the road trip a and I worried we see that again against the Jackets, but they pulled it together and never slept on NYR or TML

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I guess I don't get it. The Caps are 1st in gaa and 7th on pk. The Pens are 16th in gaa and 19th on the pk. The Pens are 1st in gfa and are 5th on the pp. The Caps are 2nd and 3rd in those areas.

They give up a pile of goals. Why would you want to mess with the Caps clear advantage on defense?

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
OK, imagine Caps actually release Alzner. What kind of money Schmidt should sign for? 950k? I doubt it.

Lets say it's 2M. Orlov 4M.

Orlov-Niskanen
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Bowey/Chorney

Is this your defense?

Look at the left side. One guy is awfully old. Other two are undersized and not top pair quality probably. Aren't used to high QoC (to some degree, we will know more after playoffs with top-4 Orlov).

I'd still seek for a deal with Alzner. He's making Orlov and Schmidt play a pair below so they're looking good. What would we see next year (with these guys playing tougher minutes) is a big question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad