Jul 7, 2006
FWIW, Presidents' Trophy + Jennings:

2013 CHI Cup
2011 VAN SCF
2008 DET Cup
2000 STL WCQ Loss (Roman Turek?)
1999 DAL Cup
1996 DET WCF Loss (to Cup winner COL)
1991 CHI WCQ Loss (to Cup finalist MIN, Belfour wins Calder+Vezina)
1990 BOS SCF

Aside from two, a pretty good track record for these teams.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
OK, imagine Caps actually release Alzner. What kind of money Schmidt should sign for? 950k? I doubt it.

Lets say it's 2M. Orlov 4M.

Orlov-Niskanen
Schmidt-Carlson
Orpik-Bowey/Chorney

Is this your defense?

Look at the left side. One guy is awfully old. Other two are undersized and not top pair quality probably. Aren't used to high QoC (to some degree, we will know more after playoffs with top-4 Orlov).

I'd still seek for a deal with Alzner. He's making Orlov and Schmidt play a pair below so they're looking good. What would we see next year (with these guys playing tougher minutes) is a big question.

I'm not sure how you can look at Orlov's season and say he's not top pair quality. He and Niskanen are this team's best pairing bar none, and the best possession pairing in the entire NHL. That's not to mention Orlov's offensive contributions.

Assuming Schmidt isn't selected, what has he done this season to make you think he can't be a good top 4 defenseman? All he's done is dominate play with Orpik, Shattenkirk, Alzner, whoever he's been paired with. People had the same reservations about Orlov going from third pairing to top 4 and he made the transition incredibly smoothly. I guess I'm wondering what else you want to see from him before you change your mind.

I won't go over my opinion on PKing, but I'd almost guarantee both would be fine at it.

Keeping Alzner is a fine idea only if he'd be willing to take a reduced role and a lower than market salary. I can't see that happening.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
FWIW, Presidents' Trophy + Jennings:

2013 CHI Cup
2011 VAN SCF
2008 DET Cup
2000 STL WCQ Loss (Roman Turek?)
1999 DAL Cup
1996 DET WCF Loss (to Cup winner COL)
1991 CHI WCQ Loss (to Cup finalist MIN, Belfour wins Calder+Vezina)
1990 BOS SCF

Aside from two, a pretty good track record for these teams.

I feel your insecurity! You doubt your Caps. Just prepare for a ride.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If they trade Mojo for futures/cap space I wonder if they could go this...

- Ovi
- Backstrom
- Kuzya
- Burakovsky
- Niskanen
- Carlson
- Orlov
- Schmidt
- Holtby

Also, apparently with the 2 forwards left rule will probably have to expose both Lars Eller/Wilson and Beagle for the expansion draft.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
If they trade Mojo for futures/cap space I wonder if they could go this...

- Ovi
- Backstrom
- Kuzya
- Burakovsky
- Niskanen
- Carlson
- Orlov
- Schmidt
- Holtby

Also, apparently with the 2 forwards left rule will probably have to expose both Lars Eller/Wilson and Beagle for the expansion draft.

Firstly, I don't see them trading Mojo. He's easily outperformed his contract this year, and will be especially important if 40+ point getters like Williams and Oshie aren't back next year.

Second, I don't see them protecting Schmidt. If he was seen as that important to the Caps, he wouldn't be their 7th D in favour of Shattenkirk. I love him, and believe he deserves to be in the lineup, but the coaching staff aren't going to voluntarily have him in a top-4 role next year. Remember Orlov wasn't scratched once during the regular season last year - Schmidt has been regularly. The idea that Orpik's veteran status prevents him from being scratched hasn't applied to Winnik, who's been scratched numerous times for younger player despite playing an important role on special teams.

Thirdly, I think Oshie will be back next year, and playing on Pk1 with Beagle too. And I wouldn't be surprised it this deal is done before the expansion draft.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Firstly, I don't see them trading Mojo. He's easily outperformed his contract this year, and will be especially important if 40+ point getters like Williams and Oshie aren't back next year.

Second, I don't see them protecting Schmidt. If he was seen as that important to the Caps, he wouldn't be their 7th D in favour of Shattenkirk. I love him, and believe he deserves to be in the lineup, but the coaching staff aren't going to voluntarily have him in a top-4 role next year. Remember Orlov wasn't scratched once during the regular season last year - Schmidt has been regularly. The idea that Orpik's veteran status prevents him from being scratched hasn't applied to Winnik, who's been scratched numerous times for younger player despite playing an important role on special teams.

Thirdly, I think Oshie will be back next year, and playing on Pk1 with Beagle too. And I wouldn't be surprised it this deal is done before the expansion draft.

You're assuming Shattenkirk will be back?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sk22 is gone people...

Trading Mojo...one of the few outperforming his deal...no thanks unless its for an upgrade coming back.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

Btw, we can easily protect Oshie. I agree with this. Expose both Eller and Beagle. Vegas will still take Gruby or Schmidt I think.

Many will argue Eller is good. But free 3,5M could be better so this move has to have some probability at least.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Burakovsky
Vrana-Eller/Beagle-Wilson

is guaranteed after expansion (with Oshie protected). It's OK.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Eller makes almost 5 million next year.

You think McPhee is gonna poach a 30 point center who will be a UFA in one very expensive year?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

You think McPhee is gonna poach a 30 point center who will be a UFA in one very expensive year?

There could be teams interested in 3,5M center, higher real salary or not. We paid 2 second rounders, I doubt Grubauer or Schmidt will cost that. So from asset management standpoint there are options.

McPhee doesn't need 30 players on the roster.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

I'd expose him and tell the media how hard it was to make that call. He's not worth that kind of money. Pray they take him haha

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm pretty sure McPhee will scarf up Beagle if given the opportunity. Any other GM might overlook him, but McPhee knows his value. His impact is far too great to let him slip away.

The only way McPhee takes Beagle is if another NHL team is willing to trade him something really good for him.

McPhee has said that he will provide every gm in the league the unprotected list and then take offers on the available players. So, think less about what Caps player McPhee might want and more about what Caps player might be the last or near last piece of the puzzle for a cup contender.

What if he trades 15 of the players he selects and builds his team from the assets acquired in those trades?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What if he trades 15 of the players he selects and builds his team from the assets acquired in those trades?
Those assets will predominantly be futures, though, so unless he signs a bunch of free agents they alone won't help next season's roster than what he's moving out. He will have excess NHL players so it makes sense to move at least half a dozen or more in package deals but there is a risk in going too far in that direction. That team doesn't need to ice a joke of a roster to wind up with a high pick next season most likely so they need to at least ice something respectable that their fans can enjoy.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I'd expose him and tell the media how hard it was to make that call. He's not worth that kind of money. Pray they take him haha

Exposure list is not being made public, unless a guy gets picked then we (and they) will likely never know if they were exposed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad