Caps quarter-season report cards

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If he is overpaid it's by less than 500k. Jensen is a number 5 and that's what number 5 defensemen around the league get paid.

You also claim Kempny is not underpaid so I feel like your assessment of fair contracts has not scaled with cap increases.

There is very little fat on our roster. That's why we're in first. Other than Panik and maybe Stephenson, no one on the Caps is overpaid.

ok...I am not a numbers geek. My read that they got Jensen to replace Niskanen stands and that they got Gudas for this season only. MacLellan describes Jensen as a 4/5. He has described Kempny the same. Its how they stretch their salary cap to build a competitive team. As I have mentioned previous. Reirden does not use his defensemen in a typical fashion. This is how you do well with only 3 top 4 defensemen. The Caps ice time generally bears that out. 3 players at or above 20 mins and 3 below 20

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
having a 1B on the second pairing like Niskanen was is a luxury... don't expect every Defensemen after him to take his spot. If anyone needs to step up into Niskanens role its not someone who has little track record, its clearly Orlov.

And a coach saying nice things about a player doesn't mean anything.

Ok...The Caps used to have 3 top 4 defensemen and now only have 2. I didn't mean that Jensen was expected to be as good as Niskanen. Just that he was going to take primary pk mins and shutdown duty next to Orlov. Which is what he was doing til being demoted

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Ok...The Caps used to have 3 top 4 defensemen and now only have 2. I didn't mean that Jensen was expected to be as good as Niskanen. Just that he was going to take primary pk mins and shutdown duty next to Orlov. Which is what he was doing til being demoted

apparently not.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
apparently not.

He played much of the first half of games played with Orlov who was getting the shutdown assignment. He is top 3 on defense on pk mins. Reirden clearly to me was attempting to use him exactly that way. That was the plan. Jensen's inability to hold that role is a failure. They didn't bring him in to skate 3rd pair.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He played much of the first half of games played with Orlov who was getting the shutdown assignment. He is top 3 on defense on pk mins. Reirden clearly to me was attempting to use him exactly that way. That was the plan. Jensen's inability to hold that role is a failure. They didn't bring him in to skate 3rd pair.
Yet it's also unrealistic to expect $2.5M to buy them an all-situations shutdown defenseman. He's helped solidify the PK and for that it's hard to knock him too much. It's up to him to supplant Gudas for that role 5-on-5. As-is he's too easy to forecheck and it makes for a bad fit in that role. That Gudas has mostly stepped up makes it less of an issue. Whether that's sustainable against stronger teams is anyone's guess but I'd rather roll with Gudas in that role barring Jensen, again, making a statement suggesting he's eager to take it on.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yet it's also unrealistic to expect $2.5M to buy them an all-situations shutdown defenseman. He's helped solidify the PK and for that it's hard to knock him too much. It's up to him to supplant Gudas for that role 5-on-5. As-is he's too easy to forecheck and it makes for a bad fit in that role. That Gudas has mostly stepped up makes it less of an issue. Whether that's sustainable against stronger teams is anyone's guess but I'd rather roll with Gudas in that role barring Jensen, again, making a statement suggesting he's eager to take it on.

Firstly, Jensen is a defense first defenseman. Not an all situations defenseman. Yes its up to him to earn the job. I am saying that my read is that the Caps plan was for Jensen to get the evtoi with Orlov and Niskanen's pk mins. His play hasn't been up to that. Gudas s also limited and I think Jensen is more likely to improve the quality of his play based on his age and experience level.

When you say roll with Gudas, do you mean sign him to an extension?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
When you say roll with Gudas, do you mean sign him to an extension?
At the right price but I don't know if it's feasible without getting 70/19 done first. If he goes the whole season playing in his current role he certainly may look to cash in on that and I wouldn't blame him at his age. It would be his big chance to do so.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’d be happy to see them sign Gudas to an extension. They don’t have that “Edge” defenseman in the system, that I can see. But I think the finances may not work out.

If they can, and then deal Jensen for futures to open up a slot for Fever or AA. I’d be good with that too.

lots of season to play out.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Reirden may just be to defensemen what Mitch Korn is to goalies. So far Jensen has been disappointing, but Siegenthaler and Kempny have been pleasant surprises. The new system is clearly pushing Carlson's skills further to the fore and the way he double shifts him around special teams action is using him even better.

I still think they will be better off with Gudas on the 3rd pair playing this minutes, but Jensen needs to be either better or upgraded.
I suspect they are asking Jensen to change his game in key ways and he's struggling. He's not a spring chicken. I will wait to at least the halfway point to render a verdict on him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At the right price but I don't know if it's feasible without getting 70/19 done first. If he goes the whole season playing in his current role he certainly may look to cash in on that and I wouldn't blame him at his age. It would be his big chance to do so.

I Caps clearly didn't hve the cap space for Gudas without the Flyers picking up a chunk of his check. So, I don't see then being able to afford him in a new contract. Particularly if he has a good season. Which is why I felt like they expected Jensen to handle that Orlov pair duty.

I expect Siegenthaler and Fever as the 3rd pair next season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I suspect they are asking Jensen to change his game in key ways and he's struggling. He's not a spring chicken. I will wait to at least the halfway point to render a verdict on him.

He has a lot to learn. He only has 230 NHL games most of which were with a bad team. I had hoped that an offseason and a training camp would have been enough for him, but Reirden completely changed the system.

I just expected more. My view is that if he doesn't pick it up and they cant keep Gudas, he is a trade chip the next off season. So far MacLellan and Reirdon have a great record on pro acquisitions, but the were bound to miss on one and maybe this guy is that one

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
John Carlson: A+
Jakub Vrana: A
Tom Wilson: A
Lars Eller: A
Nic Dowd: A
Dmitry Orlov: A
Jonas Siegenthaler: A-
Ilya Samsonov: A-
Alex Ovechkin: B+
Brendan Leipsic: B+
Garnet Hathaway: B+
Richard Panik: B
Carl Hagelin: B-
Radko Gudas: C+
Braden Holtby: C+ (first 5 games were a F- but since then hes been at an A)
TJ Oshie: C
Nicklas Backstrom: C-
Evgeny Kuznetsov: D
Nick Jensen: D -
Michal Kempny: D-
Chandler Stephenson: F

Todd Reirden: A

Last edited:

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Overall, looking pretty good for everyone

John Carlson: A
Jakub Vrana: A
Tom Wilson: A
Lars Eller: A
Nic Dowd: C
Dmitry Orlov: A
Jonas Siegenthaler: C
Ilya Samsonov: B
Brendan Leipsic: C
Garnet Hathaway: B
Richard Panik: D (should change with more games)
Carl Hagelin: C
Radko Gudas: B
Braden Holtby: B
TJ Oshie: B
Nicklas Backstrom: C
Evgeny Kuznetsov: B
Nick Jensen: C
Michal Kempny: B
Chandler Stephenson: B
Travis Boyd: B
Tyler Lewington: C

Todd Reirden: A

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
^ Gonna be looking for some reasoning behind some of those. Particularly Kempny, Kuznetsov, and Panik.

Kepmny: 46.09 cf%, 48.13 ff%, 48.19 xGF%, 3.27 CA/60, 0.25 CF/60 (all really bad). He has also looked bad using the eye test with bad d-zone turnovers and poor positioning. I think he will improve as the season goes on.

Panik: 54.33 cf%, 54.66 ff%, 56.54 xGF%, 0.4 CF/60, -1.53 CA/60. Panik has just been really snake-bitten so far offensively but hes been strong defensively especially when you consider his usage.

Kuzy: 46.72 cf%, 47.50 ff%, 47.25 xGF%, -1.55 CF/60, 1.3 CA/60. Kuzy's one positive has been his GAR, 5.9 GAR which is good for 23rd in the NHL, otherwise I would have him at a F.

member 303789

I wish we had some Right Dee depth. I have definitely been disappointed with Jensen. He just seems weak (not strong and gets pushed around). Up and down on Gudas and probably give him a B-. Good call on incomplete for Panik. I am still bullish across a long season, but was certainly expecting more. Fortunately everyone else’s game has been strong so we haven’t needed as much from him. The bottom 6 depth has been elevating everyone’s game. Wilson and Vrana continue to grow and I like Siegenthaler a lot so we have some good young players. Maybe most improved is Todd Reirden. Seems to be finding his way as a sophomore head coach.
I have probably been overly optimistic about Jensen since he joined the team. However I really like him and yes he gets out muscled regularly. But I am seeing his consistent steady play as a positive and have come to believe his strength is his speedy nimble skating and making quick and smart puck decisions before he gets in a tussle. It remains to be seen if his D skill set is a too often a liability but I think he is still refining his role and moving in the right direction.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Alex Ovechkin A
Evgeni Kuznetsov A-
Jakub Vrana A-
Tom Wilson A-
Michael Kempny A-
TJ Oshie B+
Nicklas Backstrom B
Radko Gudas B-
Lars Eller B-
Dmitri Orlov B-
Ilya Samsonov B-
Travis Boyd B-
Garnet Hathaway C+
Brendan Leipsic C
Braden Holtby C
Carl Hagelin C
Nic Dowd C-
Nick Jensen D+
Jonas Siegenthaler D+
Chandler Stephensons D
Richard Panik D-
Todd Reirdon A-

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Alex Ovechkin A
Evgeni Kuznetsov A-
Jakub Vrana A-
Tom Wilson A-
Michael Kempny A-
TJ Oshie B+
Nicklas Backstrom B
Radko Gudas B-
Lars Eller B-
Dmitri Orlov B-
Ilya Samsonov B-
Travis Boyd B-
Garnet Hathaway C+
Brendan Leipsic C
Braden Holtby C
Carl Hagelin C
Nic Dowd C-
Nick Jensen D+
Jonas Siegenthaler D+
Chandler Stephensons D
Richard Panik D-
Todd Reirdon A-

How does Siegenthaler and Panik get Ds and Kuzy and Kempny get As? Siegenthaler and Panik both have much better numbers.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
How does Siegenthaler and Panik get Ds and Kuzy and Kempny get As? Siegenthaler and Panik both have much better numbers.
Not sure if this is a joke but......

panik literally hasn’t scored since being here and he was brought in to provide depth scoring.

Siegenthaler is a liability on D and has given up/been very responsible for goals lately.

Kuzy is still at a point per game since coming back and I think since Kempny returned we are like infinity and two record wise. Oh, Kempny has been unbelievable and almost a point per game too.

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Not sure if this is a joke but......

panik literally hasn’t scored since being here and he was brought in to provide depth scoring.

Siegenthaler is a liability on D and has given up/been very responsible for goals lately.

Kuzy is still at a point per game since coming back and I think since Kempny returned we are like infinity and two record wise. Oh, Kempny has been unbelievable and almost a point per game too.

Siegenthaler has the best xGA/60 and 2nd best CA/60 on the caps defensive core, thats not at all being a defensive liability. Panik has a better xGF/60 and xGF% than kuzy, just because he has points doesnt mean hes been playing well. Same with Kempny, just because he is getting lots of points doesnt mean hes actually playing well. He has terrible xG and possession rates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad