Caps prospects WJC watch [mod warning post #9]

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
Anyone know why Samsonov didn't start? I thought he was like one of the best goaltending prospects in the world and the clear #1 for Russia?

Bragin was saying the biggest competition in russian junior team is going to be between Georgiev and Samsonov, so you should not be surprised. He can still become a starter with tournament progression. Georgiev is a great prospect too.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Watched SUI-DEN. The Swiss have been underwhelming in this tournament and as a result they get upset by the Danes. The Malgin-Rod duo did all the heavy lifting on offense for them, they look like interesting prospects. Meier didn't do much.

From what I've seen this tournament and in some other games, Siegenthaler strikes me as more of an Orpik-type than an Alzner-type. Doesn't lay out big hits much but uses his size effectively on the boards and especially around the net. He got beat to the outside a few times in this game but that's not a big deal for a 19-year old. His skating is interesting... it looks almost effortless but at the same time he is definitely not a speedster. He's strong positionally but doesn't have much puck skills.

hockeyfan88

Dec 14, 2015
Watched SUI-DEN. The Swiss have been underwhelming in this tournament and as a result they get upset by the Danes. The Malgin-Rod duo did all the heavy lifting on offense for them, they look like interesting prospects. Meier didn't do much.

From what I've seen this tournament and in some other games, Siegenthaler strikes me as more of an Orpik-type than an Alzner-type. Doesn't lay out big hits much but uses his size effectively on the boards and especially around the net. He got beat to the outside a few times in this game but that's not a big deal for a 19-year old. His skating is interesting... it looks almost effortless but at the same time he is definitely not a speedster. He's strong positionally but doesn't have much puck skills.

He is a very good passer though. I was very happy to see how he clears the zone, especially with stretch passes.

I think he's gonna be a good 4th for the Caps.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Samsonov made some decent stops indeed. Allowed 1 goal on 18 shots, which isn't his fault (Russia went to sleep midgame). But Belarus is a pretty weak team.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
I was never a huge fan of Siegenthaler, but seeing him in that game against Canada changed my mind. Sieg, Bowey, Schmidt, Orlov, Carrick.... I used to be worried about our D prospects but it is actually a strength for us IMO, and to think Carlson is only 25 and Alzner is only 27.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I was never a huge fan of Siegenthaler, but seeing him in that game against Canada changed my mind. Sieg, Bowey, Schmidt, Orlov, Carrick.... I used to be worried about our D prospects but it is actually a strength for us IMO, and to think Carlson is only 25 and Alzner is only 27.

Niskanen is only 29 (just turned on 12.6). Caps don't have room for all of them...and that assuming no FA additions over the next few years.

I think that's a good reason one of them can be traded (or 2). That's 8 dmen in the pipeline under 30. 6 under 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad