Caps Playoff Advitars 2015 | Table of Contents in OP (Last Update 4/13 9:36PM)

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
Table of Contents

Theme: 40-Year-Old Stanley Cup Virgins/Retro Cards
Templates: For anyone to make their own, click below for more information.
  1. Link 1
  2. Props << Latest Updated
40-Year-Old Virgin Avatars:
  1. Example:
    vcpFkbE.gif
  2. Link 1
  3. Link 2 << Latest Updated
  4. More Coming Later
Retro Card Avatars:
  1. Example:
    Hv43zpL.gif
  2. Link 1
  3. More Coming Later
Bandwagon Avatars:
  1. Example:
    vz4KLFz.gif
  2. Coming Later
Requests/Suggestions: Please post any request or suggestion you have in this thread.
Note: I've only made some of these. I did not make everything here. If you see your work posted or linked here that's because I've cataloged it for convenience.

Last edited:

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Not a big fan of mixing the themes. I think both are good on their own, but I think the 40 year old cup virgins kind of celebrates life as a caps fan. We are a self deprecating bunch that are yet to make it to the promised-land.

40 year old virgins for me. Also this will finally make me get rid of my dumb erskine toilet avatar

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
As a part-time editor I feel obligated to say that there's a punctuation issue.

In reality the adjective "40-year-old" should have the two hyphens, just like it does in the IMDb entry.

The movie poster pictured at IMDb does omit the hyphen between the "40" and "year" there.

So, I suppose where you're basically copying the poster, you'd keep the error to make it look like the poster.

But in the "40 Year-Old Virgin (Somewhat final version)" where you're just spelling it out, you'd want to add the other hyphen between "40" and "year" so that it says "40-year-old." It's currently not there.

This is not a controversial issue. Here's a handy hyphenation table. No I don't think it's a big deal, but it's also probably not a big deal to get it right, and we might as well do the punctuation properly unless there's some actual reason not to (like where we're just duplicating the erroneous poster).

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I don't mean to seem overly critical. I think it's all very wonderful work. I just felt I had to say something, just like someone probably would if a word were misspelled.

And I voted for the one on the bottom and I'd still vote for it even if the error in the second one were fixed. I love that one.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
40 year old virgins for me. Also this will finally make me get rid of my dumb erskine toilet avatar

Hey, I came up with that Big John avatar idea way back when. It was funny at the time. :laugh:

The 40 year old Stanley Cup Virgin theme is great, but I do love the retro cards. I am conflicted, but am inching towards agreeing that mixing the themes would detract from both despite my very recent vote.

Virgin theme for playoffs and a retro card so I can use it for my regular avatar later, please. :)

The issue with the Virgin theme is there isn't a lot of different quotes to use to have diversity amongst us all, but a solution to that is to come up with a couple different quotes and just have people pick the movie quote they want and a pair of players to use that would differ from others. So long as Mr. Pook Gas is up to making different avatars like that.

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
As a part-time editor I feel obligated to say that there's a punctuation issue.

In reality the adjective "40-year-old" should have the two hyphens, just like it does in the IMDb entry.

The movie poster pictured at IMDb does omit the hyphen between the "40" and "year" there.

So, I suppose where you're basically copying the poster, you'd keep the error to make it look like the poster.

But in the "40 Year-Old Virgin (Somewhat final version)" where you're just spelling it out, you'd want to add the other hyphen between "40" and "year" so that it says "40-year-old." It's currently not there.

This is not a controversial issue. Here's a handy hyphenation table. No I don't think it's a big deal, but it's also probably not a big deal to get it right, and we might as well do the punctuation properly unless there's some actual reason not to (like where we're just duplicating the erroneous poster).

I'll try to add a hyphen in there if I have space then.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah I don't understand why people are against the two themes. They go together great and it's really like 1.5 themes.

4 Panel.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I just don't like the 40 year old virgin theme. I guess I don't like being reminded that I've spent 36 years waiting for a cup

It's painful, but it's an important part of the identity of the team. The thought about not ever having won it, and never having even won a game in the finals, is never too far from my mind anyway.

It's clever, in my opinion. I really think it's very good. Maybe it could be like a reverse jinx.

Govechkin

Nov 10, 2010
Voted for 4 panel. And imho old card should be 2nd one, not the 3rd like in example.

Agreed. Cover, Player Card, then either 40 or final logo for last frame (depending on how many you like). Can't wait to see the old player cards, thanks and good jorb to anyone who helped work on these.

Lets get 2/3 in Metro and make some :yo:

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
Hopefully a mod can close the poll tomorrow for me. I'm not really seeing anything in the thread tools for some reason.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hopefully a mod can close the poll tomorrow for me. I'm not really seeing anything in the thread tools for some reason.

You shouldn't need to close the poll, just need you to be able to add images by editing the OP, if necessary. Can you do that?

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
You shouldn't need to close the poll, just need you to be able to add images by editing the OP, if necessary. Can you do that?

Oh yeah I plan on doing that I just wanted to stop the whole voting process and decide a winner then.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Agreed. Cover, Player Card, then either 40 or final logo for last frame (depending on how many you like). Can't wait to see the old player cards, thanks and good jorb to anyone who helped work on these.

Lets get 2/3 in Metro and make some :yo:

Here's why I like the order as is and say it tells a story...

The first is the overall movie theme, with the 40 year anniversary logo in it as well as Ovechkin, which makes it bviously a Caps avatar but not so obvious why the movie was chosen. Next panel you get the 40 year anniversary logo, which is kind of an enlargement from its appearance in the first panel, and it explains the movie theme. Then you get a throwback hockey card with the current player that's bridged by that 1974-2014 part of the previous panel. Then you finish with the obligatory playoff avatar.

If you go movie to retro card there's not enough continuity.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oh yeah I plan on doing that I just wanted to stop the whole voting process and decide a winner then.

I can't set it to close exactly at the time you specified but I or another mod will try to rememer to do so. PM me if the deadline passes and I'll get it asap.

The Deadly Pook Gas

Feb 6, 2012
I can't set it to close exactly at the time you specified but I or another mod will try to remember to do so. PM me if the deadline passes and I'll get it asap.

Thanks. It's not that big a deal. I'll just move ahead with whichever option is winning when the time comes along.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Those look great.

I vote Other - 2 3 and 4

To hell with uniformity though. The advitars are a work of art. Bring on the creativity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad