Speculation: Caps' plan on Defense?

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
This is likely going to be our biggest topic going forward over the next five years - after the long-term future of Holtby/Ovi/Nicky. This is due to the fact that our D-core is locked up - with very little room - for the next few years, but, we have numerous prospects that have NHL potential and will be NHL-ready in the near future.

The question is: what are we going to do?

First off, here is a run-down of our current D-core, with contracts included.

John Carlson, 29, signed through '25-'26 season at $8M AAV, modified NTC 6/7 years.
Matt Niskanen, 32, signed through '20-'21 season at $5.75M AAV, modified NTC through rest of contract.
Dmitry Orlov, 27, signed through '22-'23 season at $5.1M AAV, modified NTC beginning next season through rest of contract.
Michal Kempný, 28, signed through '21-'22 season at $2.5M AAV, no NTC/NMC.
Nick Jensen, 28, signed through '22-'23 season at $2.5M AAV, no NTC/NMC.
Christian Djoos, 24, signed through '18-'19 season at $650K AAV, RFA at year's end.
Brooks Orpik, 38, signed through '18-'19 season at $1M AAV (plus possible $500K incentive bonus) , UFA at year's end.

Now, here are our defensive prospects that have NHL talent and an NHL future.

Alexander Alexeyev, 19, ELC signed through '20-'21 at $925K AAV, RFA after - eligible for AHL next season (most likely), can also play as overager in juniors (very, very unlikely). Talent and potential to make Caps' roster out of training camp next season - if not, first call-up - and be full-time player in '20-'21 season at the latest.

Lucas Johansen, 21, ELC signed through '19-'20 at $925K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Jonas Siegenthaler, 21, ELC signed through '19-'20 season at ~$714K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Chase Priskie, 22, senior at Quinnipiac University - Hobey Baker Award Nominee. Caps own exclusive rights until August 15th, 2019. Eligible to sign an ELC upon conclusion of college season - upon formally turning professional, however, Caps are currently at 50 professional contracts. Only scenario is a two-year ELC, (maximum that can be offered and only option), while joining Hershey on a tryout basis for the rest of this season. Caps' assistant coach Reid Cashman coached Priskie as Quinnipiac as an associate head coach there. If unsigned by August 15th, 2019, with college/draft loophole, Priskie will be eligible for UFA status and can sign with any team.

Connor Hobbs, 22, ELC signed through '19-'20 season at $720K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Martin Fehérváry, 19, ELC signed through '20-'21 season at ~$837K AAV (ELC slide subject to his loan status, as a prospect playing overseas), RFA after three professional years in America.

Tobias Geisser, 20, ELC signed through '20-'21 season at ~$803K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '21-'22 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Next Tier:

Tyler Lewington, 24, second professional contract signed through '19-'20 season at $675K AAV, not waivers exempt and subject to waivers. Arbitration eligible after '19-'20 season.

Colby Williams, 24, ELC signed through '18-'19 season at $751K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '19-'20 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down. Arbitration eligible at end of '18-'19 season too, with RFA status.

Kris Bindulis, 23, ELC signed through '19-'20 season at ~$793K at AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Further Down:

Alex Kannok Leipert, 18, currently playing in Juniors and eligible for ELC - currently unsigned. Drafted 6th round, 2018.

Benton Maass, 20, currently playing in NCAA and eligible for ELC - currently unsigned. Drafted 6th round, 2017.

Sebastian Walfridsson, 19, currently playing professionally in Sweden and eligible for an ELC - currently unsigned. Drafted 5th round, 2017.

Looking at our professional roster and prospects, here is what I have been thinking....

I think that Carlson, Orlov, Djoos, Kempný, and Jensen will be here for the foreseeable future. I do believe that Orpik will retire after this year and possibly take up some sort of organizational position with Washington. I also think that - due to our possible cap crunch and a decline in his foot speed and play - the Capitals could be in a position to trade Niskanen before the entry draft. I love Niskanen, but, this off-season could be the right time to move him, due to his contract, his declining play (his lack of foot speed and acceleration has become a lot more glaring of an issue for me), and our cap situation. Nisky's pedigree and reputation around the league could see Washington recoup a decent haul and make room for one or two defensive prospects. I'm also in the camp that believes that Washington should not trade Orlov, especially since he is entering his prime. Even with my scenario - of Nisky being traded, eventually, and Orpik retiring after this season - the Caps would still have five defenders in their long-term plans - Carlson, Orlov, Djoos, Kempný, and Jensen.

Now, in their prospect ranks, Alexander Alexeyev is looking like a high-caliber prospect and potential top-four defender in the NHL. Jonas Siegenthaler has looked great in the NHL and should absolutely be in the Caps' top-six next season. Lucas Johansen has come along more slowly, but, he has shown glimpses and signs of being a solid middle-pairing defender in the NHL one day. One of my favorite prospects is Chase Priskie, who is having an incredible year in college. If the Caps can get him signed before August 15th, it could be huge for their right side on defense in the future. I like Hobbs, but, I feel like he will be trade bait before his waiver status kicks in and Fehérváry is a good prospect, but, is far away from challenging for an NHL roster spot, while Geisser is still a question mark and project.

My question for you guys is what does Washington do? I think that Alexeyev should be absolutely untouchable and I think that he has the highest ceiling out of all of our offensive/defensive prospects. I think Siegenthaler can replace Orpik's role going forward - after this season. Johansen is a good fit in today's NHL and I hope he can take the next step in his development. Priskie looks like a future NHLer too. These are four high-end prospects that we have, with very little room to make room for them over the next couple to few years. It's definitely a good problem to have, but, it hurts my head thinking about how to maneuver through this.

Do we make a huge shakeup eventually and not only move Nisky, but, also one or a mix of Orlov, Djoos, Kemnpy, or Jensen (not realistic since we just signed him) - I'd be against moving Orlov, as I've mentioned? Do we package a couple prospects in a deal for another NHL top-six winger that fits into our plans? Do we move a couple prospects for similar, high-end forward prospects, since our cupboard is thin in that regard?

I'd love some input. We are in a really awesome situation on the back-end, but, one thing that we cannot do - and I believe GMBM won't - is let these prospects overcook too much in the AHL and become waiver eligible, without room for them on the big club.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Thoughts? First, we are well stocked on D overall. Second, I think Orlov will find his form again and Nisky too, although Nisky may be on his way to decline permanently, hard to tell right now. I'll answer that question after the playoffs when we know everyone gave a shit.

Third, I think Orpik is done after this season and the top 6 are set with plenty of options for a 7th from Siegs, LuJo, Lewington or a surprise.

Fourth, when Nisky does age out, the depth is there, especially Alex Alex, to maintain with little to no dropoff. Lots of us even see Jensen in a top 4 role so a rookie can play sheltered minutes until he's ready for the full load. I think Jensens best years will be the next four of his new deal, so that may have been an unexpected steal.

I just don't see major changes to this core anytime soon. Just Orpik out, Djoos/Jensen in. We'll get nice looks at the kids as 7th D all next year.

I like our team.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Thoughts? First, we are well stocked on D overall. Second, I think Orlov will find his form again and Nisky too, although Nisky may be on his way to decline permanently, hard to tell right now. I'll answer that question after the playoffs when we know everyone gave a ****.

Third, I think Orpik is done after this season and the top 6 are set with plenty of options for a 7th from Siegs, LuJo, Lewington or a surprise.

Fourth, when Nisky does age out, the depth is there, especially Alex Alex, to maintain with little to no dropoff. Lots of us even see Jensen in a top 4 role so a rookie can play sheltered minutes until he's ready for the full load. I think Jensens best years will be the next four of his new deal, so that may have been an unexpected steal.

I just don't see major changes to this core anytime soon. Just Orpik out, Djoos/Jensen in. We'll get nice looks at the kids as 7th D all next year.

I like our team.

Nice, pragmatic response. But after next season, however, how do you see us fitting in waiver eligible Siegs and LuJo, plus AA likely being ready? Some trades likely will happen, whether on our roster or our prospects.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Thoughts? First, we are well stocked on D overall. Second, I think Orlov will find his form again and Nisky too, although Nisky may be on his way to decline permanently, hard to tell right now. I'll answer that question after the playoffs when we know everyone gave a ****.

I like our team.
How do we keep our forwards from not sucking/lose young guys by keeping the entire D intact? Connolly, Vrana, and Burakovsky all will get raises.... where do you fill those holes? We are at cap now.

I think Nisky or Orlov (one of two) have to be moved or our bottom 6 next year will be god awful.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Hey Mods, please feel free to merge this with any other thread, but, I feel like it deserves its own thread because this is likely going to be our biggest topic going forward over the next five years - after the long-term future of Holtby/Ovi/Nicky. This is due to the fact that our D-core is locked up - with very little room - for the next few years, but, we have numerous prospects that have NHL potential and will be NHL-ready in the near future.

First off, here is a run-down of our current D-core, with contracts included.

John Carlson, 29, signed through '25-'26 season at $8M AAV, modified NTC 6/7 years.
Matt Niskanen, 32, signed through '20-'21 season at $5.75M AAV, modified NTC through rest of contract.
Dmitry Orlov, 27, signed through '22-'23 season at $5.1M AAV, modified NTC beginning next season through rest of contract.
Michal Kempný, 28, signed through '21-'22 season at $2.5M AAV, no NTC/NMC.
Nick Jensen, 28, signed through '22-'23 season at $2.5M AAV, no NTC/NMC.
Christian Djoos, 24, signed through '18-'19 season at $650K AAV, RFA at year's end.
Brooks Orpik, 38, signed through '18-'19 season at $1M AAV (plus possible $500K incentive bonus) , UFA at year's end.

Now, here are our defensive prospects that have NHL talent and an NHL future.

Alexander Alexeyev, 19, ELC signed through '20-'21 at $925K AAV, RFA after - eligible for AHL next season (most likely), can also play as overager in juniors (very, very unlikely). Talent and potential to make Caps' roster out of training camp next season - if not, first call-up - and be full-time player in '20-'21 season at the latest.

Lucas Johansen, 21, ELC signed through '19-'20 at $925K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Jonas Siegenthaler, 21, ELC signed through '19-'20 season at ~$714K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Chase Priskie, 22, senior at Quinnipiac University - Hobey Baker Award Nominee. Caps own exclusive rights until August 15th, 2019. Eligible to sign an ELC upon conclusion of college season - upon formally turning professional, however, Caps are currently at 50 professional contracts. Only scenario is a two-year ELC, (maximum that can be offered and only option), while joining Hershey on a tryout basis for the rest of this season. Caps' assistant coach Reid Cashman coached Priskie as Quinnipiac as an associate head coach there. If unsigned by August 15th, 2019, with college/draft loophole, Priskie will be eligible for UFA status and can sign with any team.

Connor Hobbs, 22, ELC signed through '19-'20 season at $720K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Martin Fehérváry, 19, ELC signed through '20-'21 season at ~$837K AAV (ELC slide subject to his loan status, as a prospect playing overseas), RFA after three professional years in America.

Tobias Geisser, 20, ELC signed through '20-'21 season at ~$803K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '21-'22 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Next Tier:

Tyler Lewington, 24, second professional contract signed through '19-'20 season at $675K AAV, not waivers exempt and subject to waivers. Arbitration eligible after '19-'20 season.

Colby Williams, 24, ELC signed through '18-'19 season at $751K AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '19-'20 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down. Arbitration eligible at end of '18-'19 season too, with RFA status.

Kris Bindulis, 23, ELC signed through '19-'20 season at ~$793K at AAV, RFA after - waiver exempt too. NHL waiver exempt status will expire beginning '20-'21 season (upon signing of second professional contract) - either on an NHL roster or subject to waivers if sent down.

Further Down:

Alex Kannok Leipert, 18, currently playing in Juniors and eligible for ELC - currently unsigned. Drafted 6th round, 2018.

Benton Maass, 20, currently playing in NCAA and eligible for ELC - currently unsigned. Drafted 6th round, 2017.

Sebastian Walfridsson, 19, currently playing professionally in Sweden and eligible for an ELC - currently unsigned. Drafted 5th round, 2017.

Looking at our professional roster and prospects, here is what I have been thinking....

I think that Carlson, Orlov, Djoos, Kempný, and Jensen will be here for the foreseeable future. I do believe that Orpik will retire after this year and possibly take up some sort of organizational position with Washington. I also think that - due to our possible cap crunch and a decline in his foot speed and play - the Capitals could be in a position to trade Niskanen before the entry draft. I love Niskanen, but, this off-season could be the right time to move him, due to his contract, his declining play (his lack of foot speed and acceleration has become a lot more glaring of an issue for me), and our cap situation. Nisky's pedigree and reputation around the league could see Washington recoup a decent haul and make room for one or two defensive prospects. I'm also in the camp that believes that Washington should not trade Orlov, especially since he is entering his prime. Even with my scenario - of Nisky being traded, eventually, and Orpik retiring after this season - the Caps would still have five defenders in their long-term plans - Carlson, Orlov, Djoos, Kempný, and Jensen.

Now, in their prospect ranks, Alexander Alexeyev is looking like a high-caliber prospect and potential top-four defender in the NHL. Jonas Siegenthaler has looked great in the NHL and should absolutely be in the Caps' top-six next season. Lucas Johansen has come along more slowly, but, he has shown glimpses and signs of being a solid middle-pairing defender in the NHL one day. One of my favorite prospects is Chase Priskie, who is having an incredible year in college. If the Caps can get him signed before August 15th, it could be huge for their right side on defense in the future. I like Hobbs, but, I feel like he will be trade bait before his waiver status kicks in and Fehérváry is a good prospect, but, is far away from challenging for an NHL roster spot, while Geisser is still a question mark and project.

My question for you guys is what does Washington do? I think that Alexeyev should be absolutely untouchable and I think that he has the highest ceiling out of all of our offensive/defensive prospects. I think Siegenthaler can replace Orpik's role going forward - after this season. Johansen is a good fit in today's NHL and I hope he can take the next step in his development. Priskie looks like a future NHLer too. These are four high-end prospects that we have, with very little room to make room for them over the next couple to few years. It's definitely a good problem to have, but, it hurts my head thinking about how to maneuver through this.

Do we make a huge shakeup eventually and not only move Nisky, but, also one or a mix of Orlov, Djoos, Kemnpy, or Jensen (not realistic since we just signed him) - I'd be against moving Orlov, as I've mentioned? Do we package a couple prospects in a deal for another NHL top-six winger that fits into our plans? Do we move a couple prospects for similar, high-end forward prospects, since our cupboard is thin in that regard?

I'd love some input. We are in a really awesome situation on the back-end, but, one thing that we cannot do - and I believe GMBM won't - is let these prospects overcook too much in the AHL and become waiver eligible, without room for them on the big club.

Thoughts?

Well that certainly looks like a lot of words...

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
44% do nothing on defense
40% trade Niskanen
14% trade Orlov
2% different significant move on defense

Reactions: 895

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

I like our team.

You don't let him age out. You move him within the next 18 months or sooner to get high pick(s) for him along with freeing 5.75 from the cap.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They are much more organizationally stocked at LD than RD, which is why Niskanen was likely very safe until the Jensen trade. Among the prospects, only Priskie and Hobbs have NHL potential from the right side (and Priskie may walk as an NCAA free agent and Hobbs' NHL future is uncertain at best). Djoos, Alexeyev, Siegenthaler, Johansen, and Fehervary all being natural LDs will make for a crowded left side for a while. Some of them may be able to transition to playing the right side (we've already seen Djoos do it for periods of time and AA was playing RD for Russia at the WJHC) as the team demands it. But with he nature of the 1-3-1 powerplay set-up around Ovechkin, at least a couple right shooting D will need to be maintained (and this likely keeps Carlson's role safe for the next handful of years, as with Bowey gone there's no RDs in the system that are realistically going to threaten his PP1 spot). This essentially puts the RD race down to how well do Niskanen and Jensen play down the stretch and into the playoffs. If I had to guess, I think Niskanen is still with the team in 2019-20. Carlson remains for several more seasons as the PP1 and minute muncher, even if he largely avoids the shutdown role.

The spot crunch on the left side will be tough for prospects to break through. They are already at the point they're healthy scratching Djoos (who should arguably be seeing top 4 time) and have Siegenthaler in Hershey. Orpik's likely retirement in 2019 or 2010 will free up one spot for Djoos and Siege to battle over, but beyond that it's going to be increasingly crowded until one of Kempny or Orlov are passed on the depth chart and moved. Given Orlov's tremendous upside and contract, I don't anticipate them moving him unless this funk sticks through the bulk of the 2020 season or beyond. I could see them attempting to reduce Orlov's PK duty. Kempny likewise is currently pretty safe, but his high penalty rate is going to get him in increasing trouble as more prospect push for his spot on the roster. At $2.5M he's entirely palatable as a 3LD if someone does pass him, so it's not an automatic trade candidate if he finds himself lower on the roster. I'd hazard a guess that Kempny is moved around the same time as AA is pushing for a roster spot. They may end up moving one of Djoos or Siegenthaler as well, even though I think moving Djoos would be a mistake.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
You don't let him age out. You move him within the next 18 months or sooner to get high pick(s) for him along with freeing 5.75 from the cap.

Again I think we will all have better clarity on that after this playoffs. I certainly could see a situation where he is moved after next season to make room, but if he he helps us win another Cup, maybe not.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

I agree that Niskanen seems to be the likely guy to be traded as a casualty of the cap crunch... but depending on how this season plays out (and their internal valuations), they might be looking at Orlov, instead. As long as we're being cold-blooded, I'd think hard about moving Oshie's contract, but I doubt the Caps will go there.

Let's say Niskanen does get traded, then you have a top-4 of Kempny-Carlson, Orlov-Jensen, and young guys Djoos, Siegs, LuJo, Alexeyev, etc, who might be competing for a couple of spots in the near future.

But in the event that Priskie doesn't sign, and then you lose another D in expansion draft, and then somebody else struggles like Bowey, well it may not end up being that crowded, after all.

In any case, if they trade a Niskanen/Orlov and (perhaps later) another blue-chip surplus D-man, I would look to package them for a good young center that could share top-6 duty with Kuz long term, and I guess take over Eller's spot while Backstrom is still around.

Alexeyev has looked quite promising in limited viewing, but I don't know if he can really be completely untouchable -- he's very much the kind of asset it might take to get a future C to succeed Backstrom, unless you get really lucky in the draft/trades.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kempny can slide to 3RD and have little to no competition for that spot. OK, if he manages to get less penalized.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
They are much more organizationally stocked at LD than RD, which is why Niskanen was likely very safe until the Jensen trade. Among the prospects, only Priskie and Hobbs have NHL potential from the right side (and Priskie may walk as an NCAA free agent and Hobbs' NHL future is uncertain at best). Djoos, Alexeyev, Siegenthaler, Johansen, and Fehervary all being natural LDs will make for a crowded left side for a while. Some of them may be able to transition to playing the right side (we've already seen Djoos do it for periods of time and AA was playing RD for Russia at the WJHC) as the team demands it. But with he nature of the 1-3-1 powerplay set-up around Ovechkin, at least a couple right shooting D will need to be maintained (and this likely keeps Carlson's role safe for the next handful of years, as with Bowey gone there's no RDs in the system that are realistically going to threaten his PP1 spot). This essentially puts the RD race down to how well do Niskanen and Jensen play down the stretch and into the playoffs. If I had to guess, I think Niskanen is still with the team in 2019-20. Carlson remains for several more seasons as the PP1 and minute muncher, even if he largely avoids the shutdown role.

The spot crunch on the left side will be tough for prospects to break through. They are already at the point they're healthy scratching Djoos (who should arguably be seeing top 4 time) and have Siegenthaler in Hershey. Orpik's likely retirement in 2019 or 2010 will free up one spot for Djoos and Siege to battle over, but beyond that it's going to be increasingly crowded until one of Kempny or Orlov are passed on the depth chart and moved. Given Orlov's tremendous upside and contract, I don't anticipate them moving him unless this funk sticks through the bulk of the 2020 season or beyond. I could see them attempting to reduce Orlov's PK duty. Kempny likewise is currently pretty safe, but his high penalty rate is going to get him in increasing trouble as more prospect push for his spot on the roster. At $2.5M he's entirely palatable as a 3LD if someone does pass him, so it's not an automatic trade candidate if he finds himself lower on the roster. I'd hazard a guess that Kempny is moved around the same time as AA is pushing for a roster spot. They may end up moving one of Djoos or Siegenthaler as well, even though I think moving Djoos would be a mistake.
Dare I say it, but you know what RD becomes a UFA after 19/20, Mike Green. Didn't he and his wife purchase a house in D.C. a year or two ago. Wonder if he wants to retire a Cap as well as have the opportunity to make a run at the cup. It's most likely the Red Wings won't be a threat for a few years. I believe he complimented Ovechkin much better on the PP with his passing than does Carlson. Remember after the on ice warm ups were done, Green and Ovechkin would be out there working on the feeds and the one time shots.

Reactions: Hivemind

Eskobar

Sep 28, 2016
I never play the lottery but considering this doesn't cost me anything, why not

--------------------------------------

Orpik retires as a player and he's signed to the organization e.g. conditioning coach

Carlson takes Orpik's place as an alternative captain

Niskanen gets traded

Next season lineup

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Siegenthaler-Djoos

7th D Lewington/Williams/Ufa

-------------------------------------
At some point

Trade Kempny
Trade Siegenthaler
Trade Djoos

-------------------------------------

Long term look

Alexeyev-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Johansen-Priskie

7th D dunno

----------------------------------

something to that effect

Reactions: artilector

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Once Johansen is consistently healthy in Hershey and showing off more of what got him drafted, he’ll get moved for an equivalent forward. We need quality forward prospects a lot more right now than we need young D guys

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Yeah if the Caps fail this year it might be time to make room for the young guys on D. Caps have a lot of decision to make. A RD at Niskanens level could bring a lot of assets back. You also have the goalie situation to think about. Samsonov is really finding his form in AHL now. If they decide to downgrade on D by trading Niskanen (It will be a downgrade at least short term before the prospects fill in) they should consider downgrading the G to.

I also think Copley-Samsonov could do pretty good sharing the load between them. You also would get a lot of cap space by giving up Niskanen and Holtby and bring up Samsonov and one of the young guys on D. The dream with that cap space must be something like signing Panarin. With the returns they get from Niskanen and Holtby in picks and prospects you would have your future forward core of Kuznetsov, Panarin, Wilson and Vrana locked up to go after Ovi, Oshie and Backström are getting older.

If we had the cap space I think Panarin would definitely consider Capitals. He have played with Kuznetsov before both on the junior national team and on the national team and you also have Ovi, Orlov, Samsonov and Alexeyev. Caps might not even be that much worse on D than before with trading Niskanen. I dont think Jensen will ever be as good as Niskanen was last season or the years before that as a Caps player, but he might reach what Niskanen have showed this year and probably wil be the next years.

Still a hard decision to decide if this core as they are aging can be a serious contender for the next years to or if its time to make some tweaks like trading Niskanen and Holtby. If you knew they could sign Panarin as an UFA while getting picks and prospects for the other two I think you do it. As you secure your status as a contender for a long time with Panarin (You have a mid 20s forward core of Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana and Panarin). Your defense gets a little worse depending on how good the player you bring up are. The goalie position gets more uncertainty with a rookie goalie and Copley, but Holtby are showing some signs of declining and it might be time to trade him while he has good value and I wouldnt be surprised if Samsonov might break out as an NHL goalie immediately. Copley are good enough to share the load and Caps will need new stars to fill in when the others are getting older.

Anyways will be an interesting off season to. With the Vrana signing coming up and what to do with Burakovsky. Backström also coming up next season. His and Ovis contracts will decide a lot of the future for the Caps.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Yeah if the Caps fail this year it might be time to make room for the young guys on D. Caps have a lot of decision to make. A RD at Niskanens level could bring a lot of assets back. You also have the goalie situation to think about. Samsonov is really finding his form in AHL now. If they decide to downgrade on D by trading Niskanen (It will be a downgrade at least short term before the prospects fill in) they should consider downgrading the G to.

I also think Copley-Samsonov could do pretty good sharing the load between them. You also would get a lot of cap space by giving up Niskanen and Holtby and bring up Samsonov and one of the young guys on D. The dream with that cap space must be something like signing Panarin. With the returns they get from Niskanen and Holtby in picks and prospects you would have your future forward core of Kuznetsov, Panarin, Wilson and Vrana locked up to go after Ovi, Oshie and Backström are getting older.

If we had the cap space I think Panarin would definitely consider Capitals. He have played with Kuznetsov before both on the junior national team and on the national team and you also have Ovi, Orlov, Samsonov and Alexeyev. Caps might not even be that much worse on D than before with trading Niskanen. I dont think Jensen will ever be as good as Niskanen was last season or the years before that as a Caps player, but he might reach what Niskanen have showed this year and probably wil be the next years.

Still a hard decision to decide if this core as they are aging can be a serious contender for the next years to or if its time to make some tweaks like trading Niskanen and Holtby. If you knew they could sign Panarin as an UFA while getting picks and prospects for the other two I think you do it. As you secure your status as a contender for a long time with Panarin (You have a mid 20s forward core of Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana and Panarin). Your defense gets a little worse depending on how good the player you bring up are. The goalie position gets more uncertainty with a rookie goalie and Copley, but Holtby are showing some signs of declining and it might be time to trade him while he has good value and I wouldnt be surprised if Samsonov might break out as an NHL goalie immediately. Copley are good enough to share the load and Caps will need new stars to fill in when the others are getting older.

Anyways will be an interesting off season to. With the Vrana signing coming up and what to do with Burakovsky. Backström also coming up next season. His and Ovis contracts will decide a lot of the future for the Caps.

Was thinking a lot on possible team compositions for next season. Right now I am 90% convinced we will trade:

Package N1:

Holtby + Djoos + Burakovsky + Johansen/Fehervary

- OR -

Package N2:

Orlov + Vanecek + Burakovsky + Johansen/Fehervary

In exchange for one of this packages we may look for one or two of Niskanen/Oshie/Connolly/Eller younger upgrades and some very good F prospects.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I think moving Orlov AND Nisky for like 11 million would be the right move.

Use 10 million on EK. Then let Djoos in the lineup for 1 million too.

Imagine the PP with EK at the top.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Was thinking a lot on possible team compositions for next season. Right now I am 90% convinced we will trade:

Package N1:

Holtby + Djoos + Burakovsky + Johansen/Fehervary

- OR -

Package N2:

Orlov + Vanecek + Burakovsky + Johansen/Fehervary

In exchange for one of this packages we may look for one or two of Niskanen/Oshie/Connolly/Eller younger upgrades and some very good F prospects.
You're convinced of this? Really? I am convinced that you are utterly wrong. We can revisit next season, but GMBM is not trading Oshie or Holtby, that much is certain.

EK will never be a Cap. Mark my words.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Way too extreme, IMO. Even the mechanics might get simply too hairy -- are you just gonna trade both and then *hope* EK signs with you?

Anyway, long term, I don't think you can field a balanced team paying two D guys 8M and 10M, especially since they're both paid heavily for PP contribution, and one of them would become redundant in this respect.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
You guys know I have thought and hated EK for awhile now, right? He’s amazing offensively but is one of the WORST defensive defenseman in the nhl. I was just seeing who would try to get crazy.

Congrats. You all passed :)

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
EK is damaged. We cant invest much in him.

Although I bet he would like to play with Nicky. Seems to be all swedes like that.

Jensen @ 2,5M > EK @ 10 AINEC

EK isnt even better than Nisky due to latter being cheaper, tradeable and playing solid defense including PK.

Carlson could be worse option in PP but he's still growing in that aspect. His passing on PP is getting better, he possesses bomb of a shot I doubt EK can match. Wrist shots I give EK an advantage but do Caps use those much?

Just doesnt make sense.

Guy like Seth Jones? Sign me up.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad