Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Pens 8pm NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
"Elvis has just left the building." Does the PA guy always say that, or does he save it for special occasions (like game 3 of the conference semis)? Is there any meaning to that?

Their former announcer Mike Lange says that each time the Pens win. Mike Lange is the guy who says **** like "Slap me silly Sidney" or "Scratch my back with a hacksaw".

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Game 1 was kinda even.

Meh. Murray really saw most of the shots. This was game 5 vs philly all over again. A team throwing pucks at net with no purpose. It means nothing.

I don't disagree. Just saying that the doom and gloom about a series being over in 3 games is a little much.

That said, the Caps need to get Williams, Oshie, Chimera, Wilson, etc. in front of the net to screen Murray and get as many rebounds as possible. Oh and lift the damn puck. It's clear that Murray is a beast down low.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
ENOUGH CRAP.

Pens fans, go to your own board. You're not going to get a warm welcome here, especially right now. Read our local rules.

Caps fans, do not respond to them. Just report violations with an explanation of what you believe is wrong.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's nice that they can win a 3rd period, but you don't win a Cup with one period each game.
Yep. They need to be able to frenzy without necessarily having put them on their heels and into survival mode for so long beforehand. Playoff hockey is about stabilizing and blunting momentum in large part and they're not sharp offensively to offer much explosiveness without these long sustained efforts that eventually wear teams down. It's probably hard to expect that level of dominance for 60 minutes to begin with. They need to sprinkle in better execution and plain smarter decisions to take it to another level.

Win Game 4 and maybe a battle of attrition can really begin but they're going to have to be consistently smarter in all aspects.

Trotz isn't going anywhere. I have no idea what their solution will be if they lose the series but he's not going anywhere.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Good:

-Controlled the play throughout
-Pens were pulling out of plays for fear of the big hit as early as the 2nd.
-Ovie really led by example.

Bad:

-Passing is still uneven, at best
-Not much creativity in the offensive zone
-Not enough traffic

Ugly:

-Williams and Chimmer. Two playoff warriors who need ot pick it up.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
You keep hearing how good Holts is in the playoffs yet I don't remember the last time dude "stole" a game for us.

And here we are. Caps put a good effort this game, and Murray steals one.

So much for that crap.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I think the most frustrating thing is that I knew this is how it would play out after Oshie didn't score on the breakaway. The story of the series so far has been that the Pens have scored on their great chances and we have not. God the hockey Gods must hate us.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
You keep hearing how good Holts is in the playoffs yet I don't remember the last time dude "stole" a game for us.

And here we are. Caps put a good effort this game, and Murray steals one.

So much for that crap.

There was really nothing he could do on those goals. Caps should takes notes. Get to the net and shoot with a purpose.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Caps win the next 3 games. That's the best game they've played in months. Have faith.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
There was really nothing he could do on those goals. Caps should takes notes. Get to the net and shoot with a purpose.

Look they were in front of the net a lot of the night. The problem is either their shots didn't get through or they missed the net. It's hard to get rebounds when you don't hit the goalie. I know they had a lot of shots but the times they had the most traffic they missed the net.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Make all the excuses you want. I'm not saying you're wrong. But let me ask you, when was the last time he stole a game for us?

More to the point - there doesn't seem to be anyone on this team who can elevate his game to steal one for us. Nope.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
Caps played a great game. Just didn't go our way in the end. Keep the same game plan, dont change anything , we got this.

****tsburgh is going down.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You guys outplayed us today....

I'd gladly trade our dominant performance Corsi-wise for that nice little W you picked up. In the playoffs, the end justifies the means. A few years from now, no one will remember who won the Corsi battle, but everyone will remember who got 4 wins in 7 games or less.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Look they were in front of the net a lot of the night. The problem is either their shots didn't get through or they missed the net. It's hard to get rebounds when you don't hit the goalie. I know they had a lot of shots but the times they had the most traffic they missed the net.

The Caps need to shoot earlier (especially from the points) or change the angle with crisp and quick puck movement. They've got a terrible habit of hold the puck stationary just long enough for the defender to get in the lane.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
I wish Trotz would scratch Schmidt and call up Ness, but I know it won't happen.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Make all the excuses you want. I'm not saying you're wrong. But let me ask you, when was the last time he stole a game for us?

More to the point - there doesn't seem to be anyone on this team who can elevate his game to steal one for us. Nope.

I didn't make any excuses. Wouldn't you say Oshie elevated his game in game 1?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Anyone noticed Crosby or Malkin tonight? Also, Malkin's face (don't remember the exact time)?

Rebounds from Murray are there. We need to keep pushing and win the next game.

Before tonight I thought Caps can't play better than them, especially on the road. I was wrong. There is hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad