Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Oil 9:00PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Congratulations to Kuzzya for the ****** awesome performance. This was probably said but I'd like to repeat it. He's really coming into his own right now, the addition of T. J. Oshie to the team, I think, has given him more confidence and a great linemate to continuing mastering the craft.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think I am seeing a new wrinkle in our offense, we funnel to the slot right down to the door step - players and passes etc. Simplicity. It's so hockey. I don't miss the boring boards back to the goal cough Ward play at all.

I retired my Green jersey, and was torn between Willy and Kuz. I went with Kuz :yo:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ovie must be thinking, "****ing finally." It's taken too long to get him a legit supporting cast but so far it's been worth the wait.

I'll give it another 15-20 games before I start worrying about Orpik, Orlov, and Schmidt/Chorney. Orpik is a bit older so it makes sense that he'd need more time to recover from surgery and get his legs back. Orlov hasn't played hockey in over a year so it also stands to reason he's going to need some time to get his game back as well. I liked what Gleason gave the 3rd pair last year... wouldn't be opposed to an Orlov/Gleason 3rd pairing.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'd rather see Burakovsky on the 3rd line, while the third line looks good Wilson hasn't contributed that much.

What? Wilson was defensively solid, and drew the penalty that lead to the 2-1 goal.

Trotz uses that 3rd line as a line to shutdown oppositions top players. Burakovsky is nowhere near ready for that role physically.

The difference in TOI is because 4th line got benched for Laich being his usual self and Wilson was out there killing penalties.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What? Wilson was defensively solid, and drew the penalty that lead to the 2-1 goal.

Trotz uses that 3rd line as a line to shutdown oppositions top players. Burakovsky is nowhere near ready for that role physically.

The difference in TOI is because 4th line got benched for Laich being his usual self and Wilson was out there killing penalties.

Most have noted Wilson has shown better skating, positioning, awareness, and even a few impressive offensive threats. He's creating turnovers and problems for the other team, which is one reason Chimmer and Beagle have had such a great start.

Piling on Wilson (like piling on Mojo) is soooo last year. For now. :sarcasm:

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Fun n gun is back baby. That was one stylish win. Nice to see the Caps use the fast sheet at Edmonton to their advantage. Did the Oilers check anybody, like ever, last night?

Loved Williams reaction to his goal as he came back to the bench: yeah, yeah - I'm getting some too.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Few preach sticks on boards more than I do, high skill aside.

I was glad to see the easy tap ins for Bura and MJ, and even Chimmer the game before. While the MJ tap in may have been en route to going wide, let's give him this one.

Williams is an intriguing player. He shows great hockey sense, and just goes about his job, almost no matter the system or linemates. He is like a sentry just going about his business with no fan fare.

But today is all about Kuz.That 3rd goal was just a classic example of an "everything is going in" type of night.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Did not know that Williams' hockey sense is as good as it is - or that Oshie was as creative as he's shown. And those are 2 areas where the team needed a boost

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Williams is pretty crafty with the puck. Locker pointed out how he got a Dman to clear his own stick out of the way with a little fake, opening up a clean shot path.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Gleason is a pylon. Give Schmidt an actual chance at holding down the 3LD role.

Pylon or not, he's a stabilizing presence. The Caps D got a lot younger with Green's departure, and I think a guy like Gleason would add a lot more to the team than a guy like Chorney.

It looks like Orlov needs someone to help ground him (flatten out his performances to where less lows like last night), and a Vet stay at home guy would do the trick. Orlov isn't ready to be the "stabilizing guy" on the bottom pair. Schmidt isn't either. And Chorney probably cannot, ready or not.

So in the end, they either break up the top 4 to find more suitable partners for Orlov or Schmidt.....or they add a vet D via FA or trade to balance it out.

With all the younger guys coming up (Bowey, Djoos, Carrick, etc), and with Carlson, Alzner, and Orlov all being young (in years), I don't think the team really needs Schmidt.

He's the guy I'd trade, along with Laich and some futures, to get deeper in D and in bottom 6 C, all while maintaining the salary structure of the team this year and next. Maybe look stone Panthers for Willie Mitchell, or the Canes for Hainsey and McClement. I'm just spitballing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
but what is extra? it took a good prospect to get rid of sharp (yes one time, but hes better then laich) you really wanna give up a good prospect to get rid of laich?
Sure, depending on the prospect, assuming it better positions them for a run. Who is the Johns equivalent in the Caps system? Maybe Siegenthaler but I'm not sure they'd do that unless the upgrade really helps. A Carrick or Gersich, sure, easily.

I have my doubts they'll seriously look to upgrade on the much loved Beagle. 4C is possible but Stephenson should continue to get the chance there. He struggled against Edmonton but even in that game he made a good chip to create an odd-man rush. A veteran third pair defenseman is more likely but hopefully it's more of a mobile, all-around solid player than a slower veteran "stabilizer." Gleason fit because he was to play with Green whereas now it's hard to say they'll just need a complementary type.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Pylon or not, he's a stabilizing presence. The Caps D got a lot younger with Green's departure, and I think a guy like Gleason would add a lot more to the team than a guy like Chorney.

It looks like Orlov needs someone to help ground him (flatten out his performances to where less lows like last night), and a Vet stay at home guy would do the trick. Orlov isn't ready to be the "stabilizing guy" on the bottom pair. Schmidt isn't either. And Chorney probably cannot, ready or not.

So in the end, they either break up the top 4 to find more suitable partners for Orlov or Schmidt.....or they add a vet D via FA or trade to balance it out.

With all the younger guys coming up (Bowey, Djoos, Carrick, etc), and with Carlson, Alzner, and Orlov all being young (in years), I don't think the team really needs Schmidt.

He's the guy I'd trade, along with Laich and some futures, to get deeper in D and in bottom 6 C, all while maintaining the salary structure of the team this year and next. Maybe look stone Panthers for Willie Mitchell, or the Canes for Hainsey and McClement. I'm just spitballing.

Don't disagree with possibly trading Schmidt as you describe. But right now, the team is going well and I think you have to give 9-88 a chance to mature before pulling the plug on that pairing, at least for the regular season. Guys gotta play so they can learn/show what they are capable of/have trade value.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Sure, depending on the prospect, assuming it better positions them for a run. Who is the Johns equivalent in the Caps system? Maybe Siegenthaler but I'm not sure they'd do that unless the upgrade really helps. A Carrick or Gersich, sure, easily.

I have my doubts they'll seriously look to upgrade on the much loved Beagle. 4C is possible but Stephenson should continue to get the chance there. He struggled against Edmonton but even in that game he made a good chip to create an odd-man rush. A veteran third pair defenseman is more likely but hopefully it's more of a mobile, all-around solid player than a slower veteran "stabilizer." Gleason fit because he was to play with Green whereas now it's hard to say they'll just need a complementary type.

A "stabilizer" doesn't mean slow, necessarily. Gleason was slow, but that was just an exampleI could draw from due to his time in DC. I'd much rather a Smid, Hainsey, Mitchell type, that can do more than just grind and push....but it also depends on the cost, and the other teams willingness to take back Laich.

Gleason is also a lot cheaper to acquire (800k now, I'd bet), versus the trade route.

But if we need to trade for it, then adding Schmidt to Laich would probably allow a larger selection of player.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Don't disagree with possibly trading Schmidt as you describe. But right now, the team is going well and I think you have to give 9-88 a chance to mature before pulling the plug on that pairing, at least for the regular season. Guys gotta play so they can learn/show what they are capable of/have trade value.

Right. I'm not plugging for it today...their is more than enough to time to let things roll another 2-3 months.

That said, cost to acquire usually just goes up as the season progresses, so if the braintrust sees the need by say game 15 or so, strike when you can.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
15 games? Maybe 15 games LEFT in the season. I think they fully intend to keep feeding 88-9 ice time with Chorney sprinkled in. I doubt an early move is made. For one, teams aren't typically looking to move decent D out of town so early. There's also no room for a really decent 3rd pair vet salary-wise. I see a Feb deal to shore the 3rd pair up at the earliest.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I can't believe anyone is arguing for Gleason. The guy was terrible last year, a healthy scratch - which says a lot because you know darn well Trotz doesn't want to scratch a veteran player like that. And no team in the NHL wants him this year.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
This is the first game I've been able to watch all season because of my working situation but holy **** does Kuznetsov look phenomenal. Phenomenal.

What a great first game for you to catch.

Is it common knowledge that Kuz is friends with Datsyuk and learning from him?

I don't have the link but there was something out there about Kuz going out to dinner with Datsyuk who basically reinforced what the coaches has been stressing.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I don't have the link but there was something out there about Kuz going out to dinner with Datsyuk who basically reinforced what the coaches has been stressing.

Datsyuk is what I hope Kuz could become someday. Even if he only becomes half as good as Datsyuk, it will still be better than 95% of the league. He certainly looked like Datsyuk yesterday :yo:

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC

Definitely! Really fortuitous too because it looked like I would be out last night (I purchased Game Center earlier in the day), but things fell into place and I had the privilege of watching Kuzy look like prime Malkin. That was just a glorious game from him. We knew that his ceiling was astronomical but it's always great to see a potentially great young player begin to play to his absolute talent level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad