Caps may take Malkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Digable5 said:
Well, they (the Caps) have a stable full of good or great prospects at every position and a load full of Draft picks. And for the price to sign Malkin who should be ready to play now and the cost to get him out of Russia they could easily afford a prospect or two that is already signed and still save some money. But mostly they would acquire draft picks and players that have at least a few years before they have to be given a contract. And its not like the Penguins are one Malkin away from making the playoffs or anything. And unless the situation is dramatically changed with a new CBA they won't be able to keep Malkin after his initial contract expires unless they completely dismantle the rest of their roster. On the other hand the Caps have money to support them and sign them to play now. A great 1-2 Russian punch to add to Zubrus for a nice young first line.

The Penguins can continue to stock pile young inexpensive players to grow together and develop with Fleury as the cornerstone. I'm not saying its likely, but its not out of the realm of possibilities.

The Caps do have a 1-2 Russian punch, that would Ovechkin and Semin

The price it would take for the Capitals to accquire is Malkin will cripple the Caps prospect depth more then it would help them

Robert Paulson*

Digable5 said:
First of all I'm not a Caps fan, I just happen to live in DC, and you Pitt fans are in complete denial of your teams financial misfortunes. Not to mention the fact that you assume I'm trying to suggest a complete robbery from your team.

I think for a team that, besides the owner, doesn't have a player on their team with a salary over $2 mil and lots of holes to fill, it could benefit them to grab a group of above average to great prospects and first round picks instead of 1 "potential superstar" player that they may have to trade in a few years when he becomes too expensive. How is that idiotic? Tell me one player, besides the owner in the last few years that the Penguins have been able to afford to keep? They've traded everyone away. Even the Sabres, who went bankrupt as well, have 3 players above $3mil.

And to say that they may resign Kovalev is hilarious. Why would he come back? In the current structure, there will be plenty of teams that could out bid them, and in a new structure, with a young team, why would you waste cap space on an expensive, aging player on a team filled with youth?

How is offering Semin-Eminger-Aulin and their other two first round picks this year(or some kind of option for next year - as 1337 suggested) anywhere close to robbery?

I'm not trying to insult your "intelligence" so don't try to insult mine. I have no belief that this would ever happen, but again its not something that couldn't happen. If there is talk that the Caps would consider moving out of the #1 spot, why couldn't Pitt consider moving out of #2? And the Caps probably have the most to offer the Pens right now. Get over your insecurity about the Pens difficulties and don't assume somebody is asking you to move the #2 pick and Fleury for Kolzig or something ridiculous like that. Let's be realistic here.
WOAH BUDDY, if you didn't realize it by now, what grave posted was a paraphrase from the movie "Billy Madison".. so calm down. :teach:

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
He is to busy throwing a tantrum because all the sane people in this thread have rejected his trade ideas... justify it anyway you want to, the answer is still the same. and please dont pretend that you follow the Penguins and know the ins and outs of the organIzation. Leave that to us Pens fans ... and one last thing if you actually believe Fleury (who was 18 at the time) should be a starting goaltender on a 2nd year rebuilding team getting shelled nightly your a bigger moron than originally thought. Before you say they couldnt afford to keep him maybe you should have checked what his numbers were like when he was sent back to juniors...

His record with the Pens -- the worst team in the NHL -- is 4-14-2-3, with a 3.64 goals-against average and .896 save percentage in 1,154 minutes played.

But im sure in your infinite wisdom you would have a team with an 18 year old starting goalie and 2 18 year old russians on your 1st line, ya know just because you have the money to burn... I hope if Mcphee gets fired Sweaty Teddy gives you a call for the GM position.

Ps. when looking at our goalie depth you cant overlook this guy Andy Chiodo
He led the farm to the Calder finals and alot of people envision him being Fleurys eventual full time back up...

Last edited:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Digable5 said:
First of all I'm not a Caps fan, I just happen to live in DC, and you Pitt fans are in complete denial of your teams financial misfortunes. Not to mention the fact that you assume I'm trying to suggest a complete robbery from your team.

I think for a team that, besides the owner, doesn't have a player on their team with a salary over $2 mil and lots of holes to fill, it could benefit them to grab a group of above average to great prospects and first round picks instead of 1 "potential superstar" player that they may have to trade in a few years when he becomes too expensive. How is that idiotic? Tell me one player, besides the owner in the last few years that the Penguins have been able to afford to keep? They've traded everyone away. Even the Sabres, who went bankrupt as well, have 3 players above $3mil.

And to say that they may resign Kovalev is hilarious. Why would he come back? In the current structure, there will be plenty of teams that could out bid them, and in a new structure, with a young team, why would you waste cap space on an expensive, aging player on a team filled with youth?

How is offering Semin-Eminger-Aulin and their other two first round picks this year(or some kind of option for next year - as 1337 suggested) anywhere close to robbery?

I'm not trying to insult your "intelligence" so don't try to insult mine. I have no belief that this would ever happen, but again its not something that couldn't happen. If there is talk that the Caps would consider moving out of the #1 spot, why couldn't Pitt consider moving out of #2? And the Caps probably have the most to offer the Pens right now. Get over your insecurity about the Pens difficulties and don't assume somebody is asking you to move the #2 pick and Fleury for Kolzig or something ridiculous like that. Let's be realistic here.

The caps have nothing to offer the pens at all that they would be interested in for the 2nd overall pick in this draft ( Malkin ) The pens will absolutely not be trading the pick just because of money concerns thats totally ludicrous :lol

Also the pens have a ton of young players that are "good solid" prospects and are only lacking the possible superstar in terms of prospects....which would mean it makes a ton of sense to take Malkin.
Nice try though thanks for coming out :lol :lol

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jaded-Fan said:
you are supporting that stupid notion? . . . ok, you are so right . . .Pittsburgh will trade the pick for sure all because of the money. . . and the Caps will end up with AO, Malkin, Fleury and Mario for that matter, all for the price of us taking the stiff that you have been trying to pawn off on everyone Rollie Polly Ollie off your hands . . . yup, that is just how it will come down . . . umm, care to lay a bet on that? We will know Saturday.

What are you talking about?

Did you even read my post?

No where did I say they would/should trade the pick. I was just responding to the off base points you attempted to make.

Thinking about it now, trading Malkin might be the better move for the Penguins, but it would have to be an excellent deal. Similar to the Capitals own status. If an amazing deal came along, they should take it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Chimaera said:
Thinking about it now, trading Malkin might be the better move for the Penguins, but it would have to be an excellent deal. Similar to the Capitals own status. If an amazing deal came along, they should take it.

Exactly. If the supposed deal of Bouwmeester, Weiss, and #7 overall is really on the table, I would really consider it if I was McPhee or Patrick. I'd probably accept it, it's just too good of an offer to turn down.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
MrKnowNothing said:
Exactly. If the supposed deal of Bouwmeester, Weiss, and #7 overall is really on the table, I would really consider it if I was McPhee or Patrick. I'd probably accept it, it's just too good of an offer to turn down.

Then trade the #7 to the 'Hawks and get Barker.

So they would have

J. Bo
Whitney
Barker
Orpik
Welch

lol j/k

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Excuse my ignorance please but what exactly makes Malkin good enough to even be in the first round? i just about craped my pants looking at his lofty (3) goals! i look at draft year stats from other Russian 1st rounders like Kovalchuk (25 goals),Frolov (18) or even Semin (10) and see some scoring from these kids playing with adults but 3 goals and now he's a can't miss prospect :amazed:

I thought he was suppost to an offensive centre...am i missing something here? :dunno:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
T@T said:
Excuse my ignorance please but what exactly makes Malkin good enough to even be in the first round? i just about craped my pants looking at his lofty (3) goals! i look at draft year stats from other Russian 1st rounders like Kovalchuk (25 goals),Frolov (18) or even Semin (10) and see some scoring from these kids playing with adults but 3 goals and now he's a can't miss prospect :amazed:

I thought he was suppost to an offensive centre...am i missing something here? :dunno:

Yes. He played on the third line. He only played in 34 games on a deep Magnitogorsk squad.

To compare, Ovechkin had 13 goals in 53 games.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
T@T said:

Malkin played in the Russian Super League

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Til the End of Time said:
Yes. He played on the third line. He only played in 34 games on a deep Magnitogorsk squad.

This confuses me,is the super league better then the NHL??? because theres lots of young rookies who would score more than 3 goals playing on the 3rd or even 4 lines in the NHL.

BTW,Ovechkin's whoopin 13 goals doesn't really excite me either but at least he's about 3 times the goal scorer than Malkin :D

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
T@T said:
This confuses me,is the super league better then the NHL??? because theres lots of young rookies who would score more than 3 goals playing on the 3rd or even 4 lines in the NHL.

BTW,Ovechkin's whoopin 13 goals doesn't really excite me either but at least he's about 3 times the goal scorer than Malkin :D
He started playing on the 4th line and was named rookie of the year, so it's not just the scouts making up lies about Malkin. Plus, Malkin is only 17. Frolov was 20 when he had 18 goals and Semin was 19 when he had 10. Not sure how old Kovalchuk was (Kovy is a much better scorer than Malkin, but Malkin is probably a better playmaker). Malkin is also more of a playmaker, but he also has a great shot. The super league is a low scoring league.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
T@T said:

Do you think there is some sort of conspiracy that is causing Ovechkin and Malkin to be ranked 1-2?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
T@T said:

It is obvious you don't know the difference between the Premiere League and the Super League.

Malkin also only played in 34 games, much less than what Ovechkin did.

I suggest you stop arguing while you are behind...

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Til the End of Time said:

To expand on that point; Ovechkin's points-per-game was .43 to Malkin's .35.

BTW,Ovechkin's whoopin 13 goals doesn't really excite me either but at least he's about 3 times the goal scorer than Malkin
Well, there are 4 reasons for that;

Magnitogorsk is deeper than Dynamo.
Malkin is younger than Ovechkin.
Malkin played in less games.
Ovechkin is a significantly better scorer.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jacobv2 said:
To expand on that point; Ovechkin's points-per-game was .43 to Malkin's .35.

Well, there are 4 reasons for that;

Magnitogorsk is deeper than Dynamo.
Malkin is younger than Ovechkin.
Malkin played in less games.
Ovechkin is a significantly better scorer.

And further in the games that Malkin did play in he often played very limited times, perhaps a period at most quite a few times. Heard that on the radio today on the way home from work. It seems that the Russians like to keep you 'grounded' so to speak. No clue why they would bench Malkin for so long at times otherwise as he was seen to dominate when he played. And Russian leagues apparently are very defensively oriented.

capman29

Ovechkin's coming has been foretold for the better part of two years, yet in recent days the Washington Capitals, owners of the coveted No. 1 pick, have surprised some by suggesting Malkin, a 6-foot-3 center may have shot past Ovechkin in their estimation.

OK the caps are taking Ovechkin with the first pick and NO ONE ELSE. END OF STORY

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Ovechkin was the youngest player in the history of Dynamo Moscow to lead the team in scoring, which he did with 13 goals. He also was named the Best Left Wing of the Superleague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad