Caps may take Malkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
BMWM3owner said:
The Caps do not have the assests to trade for the 2nd overall and still keep the 1st overall...what makes you think the caps could actually do that? also what I dont understand is if the Pens couldn't afford to pay Malkin, then how in the hell are they going to be able to pay the salaries of the 3-5 players that would be accquired in the trade...this doesnt make sense on any level

Has there ever been a team in post expansion era that has drafted 1st and 2nd overall in the same draft?
Well, they (the Caps) have a stable full of good or great prospects at every position and a load full of Draft picks. And for the price to sign Malkin who should be ready to play now and the cost to get him out of Russia they could easily afford a prospect or two that is already signed and still save some money. But mostly they would acquire draft picks and players that have at least a few years before they have to be given a contract. And its not like the Penguins are one Malkin away from making the playoffs or anything. And unless the situation is dramatically changed with a new CBA they won't be able to keep Malkin after his initial contract expires unless they completely dismantle the rest of their roster. On the other hand the Caps have money to support them and sign them to play now. A great 1-2 Russian punch to add to Zubrus for a nice young first line.

The Penguins can continue to stock pile young inexpensive players to grow together and develop with Fleury as the cornerstone. I'm not saying its likely, but its not out of the realm of possibilities.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Digable5 said:
I'm not saying its likely, but its not out of the realm of possibilities.

Little green men from outerspace landing and making me their leader is not out of the realm of possibilities . . . this scenerio? nope, not in a billion years.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
The Pens presently are in a similar situation to the Caps, as far as prospects go. Both have good depth, yet lack a offensive blue chip prospect. And after the draft, both teams will have their missing piece.

If the Caps were trade some of theirs picks/prospects to land Malkin, then they would have less depth throughout the organization, which was their strength. And that would set the Pens back as well, as they would have a ton of depth but no star forwards. Doesn't make sense for either team.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I don't think so. Malkin obviously missed the NHL combine, so he didn't meet with teams like alot of other prospects did.

Malkin and his family, because of visa problems, were delayed from leaving for the US. They were supposed to have arrived in America this morning, now that the visa thing was fixed.

He is supposed to meet with several teams before Saturday.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/penguinslive/s_199869.html

"Malkin skipped the NHL combine in Toronto last month, not because of visa problems but because his team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, was holding postseason training in Turkey. He has interviews scheduled with 14 different NHL teams before Saturday, including one with the Penguins on Wednesday. "

So I don't think many teams have had a chance to talk with him.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Til the End of Time said:
I don't think so. Malkin obviously missed the NHL combine, so he didn't meet with teams like alot of other prospects did.

Malkin and his family, because of visa problems, were delayed from leaving for the US. They were supposed to have arrived in America this morning, now that the visa thing was fixed.

He is supposed to meet with several teams before Saturday.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/penguinslive/s_199869.html

"Malkin skipped the NHL combine in Toronto last month, not because of visa problems but because his team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, was holding postseason training in Turkey. He has interviews scheduled with 14 different NHL teams before Saturday, including one with the Penguins on Wednesday. "

So I don't think many teams have had a chance to talk with him.

Chicago can be forgiven for the "hope in hell" but the others are dreaming!

(OK, trades aside).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jaded-Fan said:
:shakehead

Malkin is far less costly and fits the upcoming environment. And the Pens are not in the straights most think that they are, new arena, season tickets sales are on the upswing, and a new CBA and they will be fine. We in Pittsburgh very very much tire of hearing about how we will give away Malkin for a bag of pucks because we exist on bread and water. That is vastly exagerated and we are better positioned for the new hockey environment than almost any team in the NHL, including the Caps.

Though tell you what, you package AO and Semin together with next years number one and we may consider it.

Malkin is far less costly?

Where have you been? Maybe in a contract Malkin could sign, he'd be getting a little less, but not that much. Especially with all the boost in press he's been recieiving from many sources (especially those originating in Pittsburgh), he's probably going to be want to be paid like 1B, not like #2. And last I checked, he still has 4 years left on his own deal. Buying out 4 years is going to cost more than buying out 1. If it came down to it, and there was no hockey at all this coming year, the Caps could techinically get away with paying nothing to buy out his contract (and maybe nothing overall, as he'd be a FA, but I'm uncertain to the particulars of a rule like that)

Even with an "upswing in ticket sales" that might or might not have occured, (probably a great number of renewals) with the current stadium situation, that's where your money problems start with. Mellon isn't getting it done anymore. The Pens have had trouble paying players/making money even while parring their salary down to one of the lowest in the league.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Chimaera said:
Malkin is far less costly?

Where have you been? Maybe in a contract Malkin could sign, he'd be getting a little less, but not that much. Especially with all the boost in press he's been recieiving from many sources (especially those originating in Pittsburgh), he's probably going to be want to be paid like 1B, not like #2. And last I checked, he still has 4 years left on his own deal. Buying out 4 years is going to cost more than buying out 1. If it came down to it, and there was no hockey at all this coming year, the Caps could techinically get away with paying nothing to buy out his contract (and maybe nothing overall, as he'd be a FA, but I'm uncertain to the particulars of a rule like that)

Even with an "upswing in ticket sales" that might or might not have occured, (probably a great number of renewals) with the current stadium situation, that's where your money problems start with. Mellon isn't getting it done anymore. The Pens have had trouble paying players/making money even while parring their salary down to one of the lowest in the league.

you are supporting that stupid notion? . . . ok, you are so right . . .Pittsburgh will trade the pick for sure all because of the money. . . and the Caps will end up with AO, Malkin, Fleury and Mario for that matter, all for the price of us taking the stiff that you have been trying to pawn off on everyone Rollie Polly Ollie off your hands . . . yup, that is just how it will come down . . . umm, care to lay a bet on that? We will know Saturday.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
you are supporting that stupid notion? . . . ok, you are so right . . .Pittsburgh will trade the pick for sure all because of the money. . . and the Caps will end up with AO, Malkin, Fleury and Mario for that matter, all for the price of us taking the stiff that you have been trying to pawn off on everyone Rollie Polly Ollie off your hands . . . yup, that is just how it will come down . . . umm, care to lay a bet on that? We will know Saturday.

While it is a stupid idea...GROW UP..that was one of the most childish post I've read in awhile sir. As far as Washington trading for the #2 as well.. It would probably have to start with Semin+Eminger+Aulin and right to switch #1 next year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I_r_1337 said:
While it is a stupid idea...GROW UP..that was one of the most childish post I've read in awhile sir. As far as Washington trading for the #2 as well.. It would probably have to start with Semin+Eminger+Aulin and right to switch #1 next year.

I can not speak for all of Pittsburgh, but I am very tired of the notion that we will not take Malkin for money reasons . . . This is maybe the 15th thread that has emerged in since before the lottery. Our chief scout Malone said as much today, specifically saying that they see Malkin as equal to AO, and that they will not trade down absent an offer none will make. They are very happy sitting at number 2 and seeing which of the two falls to them. Money did not seem to be a concern at all.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Jaded-Fan said:
I can not speak for all of Pittsburgh, but I am very tired of the notion that we will not take Malkin for money reasons . . . This is maybe the 15th thread that has emerged in since before the lottery. Our chief scout Malone said as much today, specifically saying that they see Malkin as equal to AO, and that they will not trade down absent an offer none will make. They are very happy sitting at number 2 and seeing which of the two falls to them. Money did not seem to be a concern at all.
Yeah, there are even reports that Kovalev will sign with the Pens, so I don't think they are worrying too much about how much Malkin will cost.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
And unless the situation is dramatically changed with a new CBA they won't be able to keep Malkin after his initial contract expires unless they completely dismantle the rest of their roster. On the other hand the Caps have money to support them and sign them to play now.

I hope you realize you make yourself and every other caps poster look like a complete and total moron... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Grave77digger said:
I hope you realize you make yourself and every other caps poster look like a complete and total moron... what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
BILLY MADDISON!!!!!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Grave77digger said:

Let me tell you all a little story about the dog who lost his way... :yo:

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Grave77digger said:
First of all I'm not a Caps fan, I just happen to live in DC, and you Pitt fans are in complete denial of your teams financial misfortunes. Not to mention the fact that you assume I'm trying to suggest a complete robbery from your team.

I think for a team that, besides the owner, doesn't have a player on their team with a salary over $2 mil and lots of holes to fill, it could benefit them to grab a group of above average to great prospects and first round picks instead of 1 "potential superstar" player that they may have to trade in a few years when he becomes too expensive. How is that idiotic? Tell me one player, besides the owner in the last few years that the Penguins have been able to afford to keep? They've traded everyone away. Even the Sabres, who went bankrupt as well, have 3 players above $3mil.

And to say that they may resign Kovalev is hilarious. Why would he come back? In the current structure, there will be plenty of teams that could out bid them, and in a new structure, with a young team, why would you waste cap space on an expensive, aging player on a team filled with youth?

How is offering Semin-Eminger-Aulin and their other two first round picks this year(or some kind of option for next year - as 1337 suggested) anywhere close to robbery?

I'm not trying to insult your "intelligence" so don't try to insult mine. I have no belief that this would ever happen, but again its not something that couldn't happen. If there is talk that the Caps would consider moving out of the #1 spot, why couldn't Pitt consider moving out of #2? And the Caps probably have the most to offer the Pens right now. Get over your insecurity about the Pens difficulties and don't assume somebody is asking you to move the #2 pick and Fleury for Kolzig or something ridiculous like that. Let's be realistic here.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Facts depend on interpretation to have meaning. Fact, the Pens traded Jagr for financial considerations taking a cash infusion. I think that trade tainted the perception of the Pens financially from then all, and Mario's arena comments only added fuel to the fire as a new arena would vastly help the team, or at least Mario thinks so, but that is posturing, if Mario did not push the idea with threats it would not get done, it means little more. But add to that fact about taking cash for Jagr the fact that they plowed it right back into the team and fielded a team with a respectable payroll, well into the top half of teams payrollwise, until a couple of years ago. Three years ago they took the Jagr money resigned all the other veterans and paid to have a team that went to the conference finals. This past year they blew up the team entirely, in fact started doing so the year before, and there are two ways to look at that. One, that they do not have a pot to spit in. Two, that already in the hall of fame GM Caraig Patrick was looking down the line to the expiration of the CBA and new landscape and doing well before hand what other GM's are now scrambling to do. Positioning their teams for a cap environment. Given that the Pens averaged well over 12,000 fans the past two years when they finished next to last and last, and have averaged well over 15,000 over the past decade (which translates to a higher average fan base than many canadian teams over that period), I tend to think that the latter is true. Hell, when we play the Caps have of the MCI center is filled with Pens fans most years. No, we have no huge market nor do we have a deep pockets owner, but nor do 3/4 of the teams in the NHL. We are just fine though and will be better, as will those other 3/4 of teams, once the new CBA kicks in. Actually better than fine, Patrick has positioned us through a couple of years of suffering to be lean and mean and will come out in this new environment better positioned than any but a handful with boatloads of young and great talent and loads of cap room to fill out the remainder of the roster. A lockout? We have the funds to weather it. And if the season is lost as good a chance as not of using the same order and lottery for a 50/50 to add Crosby to Malkin.

So cry us no rivers, we are fine here in the 'burg.

Last edited:

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Grave77digger said:
your reasoning that the Pens wont draft the best player available because they may not afford him down the road is completely asinine
I never said "won't", I just brought up the possibility and you took offense to it like I insulted your mother. There's no hiding the fact the Penguins have financial issues. And it would be "asinine" if they were given a great offer of prospects and picks that could fill several holes and save them money and they wouldn't consider it. I'm not trying to make the Penguin organization or the fans out to be complete bafoons that would pass on the #2 (not No. 1) player available for nothing.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As a ps to my above comments, the Pens, despite finsihing last and next to last place in the standings, despite their lowest attendence figures in 20 years the past two, ended up 20 and 22 in revenues the past two years, 23rd aggregate in revenues from 2000-2003:

So if the Pens are in supposed dire straights, and you are right, then ya better fold

24. New York Islanders
25. Calgary Flames
26. Anaheim Mighty Ducks
27. Nashville Predators
28. Buffalo Sabres
29. Edmonton Oilers
30. Phoenix Coyotes

who are doing worse. The Pens blew up the payroll by choice and can take on payroll or you better blow up those teams above.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/hockeystats/Revenues.txt

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Digable5 said:
I think for a team that, besides the owner, doesn't have a player on their team with a salary over $2 mil and lots of holes to fill, it could benefit them to grab a group of above average to great prospects and first round picks instead of 1 "potential superstar" player that they may have to trade in a few years when he becomes too expensive.

Your point is not valid because it does not take into account the depth and breadth of the Pens' prospect pool. Pittsburgh has unbelieveable prospect depth at all positions: forward, defense and in goal. The only thing they are lacking in their system is a forward who is a threat to win the the Art Ross and be a top 5 or top 10 player in the league. Also, all of Pittsburgh's best players (besides Lemieux) are still young and should be with the team for a long time.

So Pittsburgh would absolutely not benefit from trading a potential superstar for a bunch of lesser players. The kind of team that may benefit from such a package are teams like Washington or Chicago.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
jmelm said:
So Pittsburgh would absolutely not benefit from trading a potential superstar for a bunch of lesser players. The kind of team that may benefit from such a package are teams like Washington or Chicago.

No, no, no . . . I like his theory . . . and as Calgary is a few slots worse than us ther past few years (when we btw had the worst record in hockey over that period and our worst attendence in twenty years) they definately should consider trading Iginla for Abid to save money. Hell we will even throw in our second and third round picks this year. How could they possibly refuse seeing the 'dire' financial straights they are in?

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
jmelm said:
Your point is not valid because it does not take into account the depth and breadth of the Pens' prospect pool. Pittsburgh has unbelieveable prospect depth at all positions: forward, defense and in goal. The only thing they are lacking in their system is a forward who is a threat to win the the Art Ross and be a top 5 or top 10 player in the league. Also, all of Pittsburgh's best players (besides Lemieux) are still young and should be with the team for a long time.

No, you're right because you are only one player away from worst to first. Because like Calgary you just need that 1 Superstar player from turning it around. Its too bad you don't still have that Mario Lemieux guy. Oh wait, he is still on the team isn't he? SO, what you're saying is, like Calgary, you need that second superstar skater. For Calgary its Iginla and ...Simon? Nope. How about Warrener. Nope, not a superstar. I'm sure, since I'm such an idiot I must be missing somebody. Maybe its a goaltender. Calgary has Kiprusoff. I guess Pittsburgh should have a guy like MA Fluery or something. Its too bad he's not with the organiztion. Wait, he is isn't he? Why isn't he playing? You would think a team doing so well financially and so poorly on the ice that they could afford to put him in goal. I guess its because JS Aubin and Sebastian Caron are doing so well? Nope, that can't be it. Maybe its because of that great depth you have in goal that is keeping him down? Because, after Aubin and Caron you have........Fluery. And too I must say that the No.2 team (The Caps-in HF's organizational rankings) could really use a boost from the No. 9 team in prospect depth.

I'm sick of you guys. I won't bother to read or respond to anything else on this thread because you completely live in this fantasy world where the Penguins are contenders next year because they draft Malkin and will be adding FAs like Kovalev with all this money they have. Malkin would be a great choice, but you have to remember this is a team game and you don't nearly have a team ready to make a move even with Malkin and Fluery in the lineup. The Sabres have a larger payroll, the youngest team in the league, better prospect depth (No. 7), and only missed the playoffs by a few points. They are maybe 1 "potential superstar" away, not the Penguins. The offer originally proposed with the Caps was reasonable and you just can't get the hype of Malkin or the fight to tell everyone "We are not in financial troubles" :cry: out of your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad