Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Jackets | 1/27/15 | 7pm EST | Everyone's an All Star!!

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
OV was pretty bad tonight. Everything that he had been doing so well the past 6 weeks, responsible defensive play, fewer turnovers, and smarter shots, he ditched tonight. This team has to stop funneling everything to OV. And OV needs to have a better sense of when and when not to shoot.

Wilson is a detriment to this team. Adding absolutely nothing now, zilch, except for PK practice. A plodder with lousy hands and a penchant for penalties.

Hillen is getting worse by the day. He is in solely by default. Get well Schmidt and Orlov.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Start well, blow some chances, "hot goalie", lose focus, then lose to a less talented but more tenacious team. I think I've seen this story before.

Don't have any great insights here. Everybody needs to keep working. That includes the GM.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Trotz is supposed to be a coach that instills order and defensive dicipline. Caps were niether of those things tonight. I could just write off as something that "happens" - good teams have crappy games sometimes.

Is this a pattern?.......... We may have to sit-out the playoffs to ponder.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Trotz is supposed to be a coach that instills order and defensive dicipline. Caps were niether of those things tonight. I could just write off as something that "happens" - good teams have crappy games sometimes.

Is this a pattern?.......... We may have to sit-out the playoffs to ponder.

Why wait until playoffs to ponder?

"The unexamined life [of a hockey team] is not worth living".

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, we're gonna have to sit out the playoffs due the the result of one game, when we're sitting 7 points up (and 8 ROWs up) on the next closest team (which has lost five in a row).

I really need to start sitting out post-loss threads. The absurdity levels get off the charts.

Vladiator16*

This game is isnt the end of the world or anything, but this team is missing a player or two...

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I'm not in panic mode or anything but it certainly was a wasted opportunity with the Rangers and Florida losing.

I am a bit concerned that this streak of mediocre play has continued beyond the AS break. We'll see what Trotz can do to turn things around.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Start well, blow some chances, "hot goalie", lose focus, then lose to a less talented but more tenacious team. I think I've seen this story before.

Don't have any great insights here. Everybody needs to keep working. That includes the GM.

Pretty much. Makes it hard to get excited for the playoffs.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
It just looked to me like some of the team was still on vacation and got too loose. Everyone of you will forget about these games soon. Another corner is going to be turned, adversity makes you stronger.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It just looked to me like some of the team was still on vacation and got too loose. Everyone of you will forget about these games soon. Another corner is going to be turned, adversity makes you stronger.

bench-pressing-mouse.jpg

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
I'm not concerned, first game back was sloppy like I expected and Columbus is a good team so they took advantage of our sloppiness. I'll be more concerned if we continue to play like so in the upcoming games.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
We will see what this team is made of seeing the next four on paper are a lot harder games then the last four. Pitt, Mon, Stl and LA

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah, we're gonna have to sit out the playoffs due the the result of one game, when we're sitting 7 points up (and 8 ROWs up) on the next closest team (which has lost five in a row).

I really need to start sitting out post-loss threads. The absurdity levels get off the charts.

I rarely post in the GDTs. Makes the game far less enjoyable. When we do well, people *****. When we don't, people *****. I also think I watch a different game than some people frequently.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

No doubt NBTW.

People need to get a grip. You're going to have losing streaks in the course of an 82 game season and things aren't going to go your way all the time.

This game is isnt the end of the world or anything, but this team is missing a player or two...

You mean a 2C or a 1RW? They happened to be two of our best players last night. Or do you mean Brouwer? You know he scored too and has 13 goals.

It was one game.

You want to look at our last 4 games? Here are some stats:

Our PDO has been 97.3% over those 4 games. All 1 goal losses.

PP chances have been 20-11 in the oppositions favor.

yeah...sometimes you aren't going to get the breaks.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
someone else do a GDT and don't wait all day for it. My last 2 have been bad luck.

Yeah, that's it. Bad luck. GDT PDO or something.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
How did Kuz play besides the goal?

I've opted to watch condensed mode in the morning and didn't see him much.

He was very good and so was Bura.

Side note: I haven't read through this entire thread...was it just me or was the officiating horrendous last night moreso than usual?

All the calls on us were legit. The Jackets got away with murder and several trips and blatent interference.

Again..sometimes you don't get the breaks and that includes officiating.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He was very good and so was Bura.

Side note: I haven't read through this entire thread...was it just me or was the officiating horrendous last night moreso than usual?

All the calls on us were legit. The Jackets got away with murder and several trips and blatent interference.

Again..sometimes you don't get the breaks and that includes officiating.

It's getting harder to tell just from fan reaction, if that's possible. Some thought the Backstrom call at the end was bad, but he clearly got his stick between Dubinsky's legs and torqued him with it in kind of a partial corkscrew. The first Wilson penalty was panned, but he hit from behind when the player was already facing away, and in a fairly odd position in relation to the boards. If that hit is put on one of our guys we're howling for a penalty.

Not to mention all the times our guys got away with no-calls.

We have had games where we clearly got ambushed but last night was not one of them.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's getting harder to tell just from fan reaction, if that's possible. Some thought the Backstrom call at the end was bad, but he clearly got his stick between Dubinsky's legs and torqued him with it in kind of a partial corkscrew. The first Wilson penalty was panned, but he hit from behind when the player was already facing away, and in a fairly odd position in relation to the boards. If that hit is put on one of our guys we're howling for a penalty.

Not to mention all the times our guys got away with no-calls.

We have had games where we clearly got ambushed but last night was not one of them.

I don't know. A couple plays stick out:

One was in our zone when MJ blatently got tripped leading to Cbus getting the puck. A few seconds later their guy gets tripped and there is a call.

Also after Wilson got out of the box he was going in the zone by chipping the puck. The defender locked him up and held onto him for several seconds and the Caps bench was going crazy.

There were several smaller plays too.

Again just me and certainly I'm biased. I was pretty ticked these last few games. 20-11 is a big disparity. We haven't gotten away with much at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad