Post-Game Talk: caps isles game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Math makes it hard to win the Cup every year no matter how good the team is because of how many other teams that have to not win it each time. Math also makes it unlikely the Islanders will sweep this series.

Math makes it more likely the Islanders will win 3 before we win 4, I know, but most of us would be just as nervous with a lead in the series, especially given the goalie we're facing, as we are right now. This team, and Holtby in particular, have shown the ability to have bad games, and to follow those up with good games, this season.

I think passion is great. That's part of being a fan(atic). I just wouldn't be so quick to go with the full-negative deal though--nothing that actually matters has even happened yet. Let's reconvene and reassess once the series is over.

It's the best time of the year. I say let's chill a little bit at least and try to enjoy the **** out of it, as much as is possible. No matter what happens, I certainly cut Trotz a break in his first year here. So far, it's been more than I expected when I found out he was being hired, and I am not going to get all that worried about anything unless/until the Islanders have three games won.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
you can say the same thing about every club BEFORE they win the Stanley Cup...

I have to vent.

I am a Capitals fan. Born and raised in Maryland. My first game was at the old Capital Center, January 1, 1992 against the New York Islanders

I have been watching this organization come up short for 23 years. I watched every game as a kid on HTS. Lived through the Peter Bondra trade. Watched Joe Juneau bobble a penalty shot in overtime. US Air Arena demolition. The move to China Town. The black and bronze years. There was a time you could hear a pin drop inside MCI Center (Verizon).

Then, Ovechkin. The draft. The Russian influx. Alex Semin. Varlamov.

Fast forward to Ovechkin being handed the captaincy. :shakehead

Bottom line is, this organization doesn't have any winners. There is no history of champions in this organizations fiber. A history of almosts, mistakes, and bad trades.

Holtby has zero playoff confidence. Ovi is a great goal scorer, but will never be half the dressing room leader as Toews or Crosby.

This team has no killer instinct. The Islanders smell blood in the water, and they're circling.

If the Caps lose game 2 at home, the Isles will finish them in 4 at Nassau. More of the same regular season greatness, same old playoff fizzle.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Now, when it's still 24 hours till the 2nd game, it's hard to watch our beautiful avatars and expect the worst... Poor artists...

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think the Caps are gonna be much better in Game 2. Just individually, nowhere to go but up for most guys.

As for heaviness vs. actual physicality vs. speed debates, those will never end :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I have to vent.

I am a Capitals fan. Born and raised in Maryland. My first game was at the old Capital Center, January 1, 1992 against the New York Islanders

I have been watching this organization come up short for 23 years. I watched every game as a kid on HTS. Lived through the Peter Bondra trade. Watched Joe Juneau bobble a penalty shot in overtime. US Air Arena demolition. The move to China Town. The black and bronze years. There was a time you could hear a pin drop inside MCI Center (Verizon).

Bottom line is, this organization doesn't have any winners. There is no history of champions in this organizations fiber. A history of almosts, mistakes, and bad trades.

Holtby has zero playoff confidence. Ovi is a great goal scorer, but will never be half the dressing room leader as Toews or Crosby.

This team has no killer instinct. The Islanders smell blood in the water, and they're circling.

If the Caps lose game 2 at home, the Isles will finish them in 4 at Nassau. More of the same regular season greatness, same old playoff fizzle.

How do you know what's going on in the Hawks, Pens and Caps locker room ? Do you have some inside info you would like to share with us ? How do you know that Toews and Crosby are great leaders while Ovi is not ? Would you like to see the C stripped off Ovi's chest ?

Also, LOL at saying Holtby has zero playoff confidence. Here is Holtby's stat line from his first playoffs in his career in the NHL :

2011-2012 CAPITALS 14 7 7 0 30 459 .935 1.95 922

That's Vezina caliber goaltending my friend.

Capitals1974

Mar 1, 2014
We have nothing to complain about. This was, by far, the most complete game they played all season. They completely sucked for the entire 60 minutes!

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
We have nothing to complain about. This was, by far, the most complete game they played all season. They completely sucked for the entire 60 minutes!

1290165886_rsd4rn.gif

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
''Our desperation level could be a little bit better than it was tonight,'' Washington defenseman Brooks Orpik said. ''They looked like they had a little more urgency than we did.''

So ****ing sick of hearing this year after year...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A "little" more?

With that said, I think Orpik was one of the very few who actually showed up last night.

Yeah, and it's not about the player. He has to say that because it's obvious they didn't show up and the coach publicly criticized the entire team, top to bottom. It's about the fact that we read crap like this so frequently instead of something like "we played a good game and left it all on the ice, they were just the better team tonight". Losses are much easier to take when that's the case. It's hard to continue to care or get excited as a fan or a customer when the players themselves don't seem to get it and can't find the urgency that everyone knows is necessary in big games and the playoffs. EVERY DAMN YEAR.

ryan519*

I have to vent.

Yeah, the pens look great right now. Crosby really leading that club to greatness

And Holtby has zero playoff confidence? Tell that to the Bruins
Career .931 playoff save percentage

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Orpik was up to playoff intensity. He was indirectly pointing at his teammates.

I know. If they have the necessary urgency we don't have to hear quotes like this so much, no matter who says it or who it's about.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
There's going to be a lot of pissed off caps fans if we lose this round especially since I doubt there will be any significanf changes by the looks of Bmac's tons all year. Hopefully they can get their head out of their ***.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Urgency in the first period.
Good structure in the second.
Game management in the 3rd.
Timely saves.
Heavy game.
Character.
I lost my train of thought..

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
I'm fairly confident that the Caps will come out pissed off and ready to play some hockey tomorrow night. I think it's highly unlikely that they play so poorly again. They've seldom played two poor games in a row.

I'm most interested in seeing if there are any other line changes. Seeing Wilson or Burakovsky make the lineup would be great.

ryan519*

Bura on the 2nd line would be money i feel like...backstrom needs a sniper goal scoring type on his line who's crafty with the puck. We need some speed of our own to combat the isles

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Bura on the 2nd line would be money i feel like...backstrom needs a sniper goal scoring type on his line who's crafty with the puck. We need some speed of our own to combat the isles

I'm not sure I'd favor that. Backstrom already has Johanson and adding Burakovsky to that line would just create a line of [softies]. Brouwer needs to be on the second line for that net presence and hard nosed impact.

Burakovsky could take Beagle's spot on the 3rd line and I'd be fine with that.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There's going to be a lot of pissed off caps fans if we lose this round especially since I doubt there will be any significanf changes by the looks of Bmac's tons all year. Hopefully they can get their head out of their ***.
The salary cap will make sure that this is a different team next season if that's the result (it likely will either way). It's pretty easily conceivable that they could be worse next year, though, should they go through the motions in the off-season with no evolving near or long-term vision.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We can only wonder if he would have scored a goal vs Pitt had Orpik not broken his wrist early in that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad