Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Islanders Game 6 3PM

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I feel we're really missing Fehr right now, if only because that third line is terrible.

I don't know what it is, as I'm not a Laich fan, but Laich seems like the only "hockey player" on that line at times. A few times in the last game, and then even fewer this time, I can see the skill trying to come out of Wilson but his hands/body can't keep up with what he's thinking of yet so it just dies on his stick. Latta has bee abysmal, it seems like he's redundant with Wilson out there but keeps trying to fill that role instead of just grinding the Islanders into oblivion as he should be doing.

Maybe roll GlenX on that line instead. If not, bring Fehr back and roll 3 lines with Laich, Wilson, and Bura as rotational players for the rest of the lines (as I don't know how well that line would do). I also want to see Orlov in for Gleason but its not even fair to call that a pipe dream. Gleason is/has just been too damn slow for the Islanders.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'll say this, no matter what happens I am willing to give them this offseason to change. BM/BT inherited a lot of junk and have a chance to make a group of forwards they like. They couldn't do everything last summer. If we're here again next year though, with a team full of lazy and stupid, there's very little chance of ever winning a cup with OV.

This is where I'm at too. I don't have many complaints about Trotz, tho I don't like how he game-planned for today. Mostly he's working with what he's got.

Lots of turnover, even likely, this offseason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
trotz in in new territory as a coach. I believe this to be the first time he has had a higher seeded team in the playoffs. one expected to win.

now he is facing the capitals legacy of playoff chokers. one win to advance against a team with a wiped out defense and they choked. now what does he do? He wins g7 or he is doomed as a coach. its a big day for him

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
trotz in in new territory as a coach. I believe this to be the first time he has had a higher seeded team in the playoffs. one expected to win.

now he is facing the capitals legacy of playoff chokers. one win to advance against a team with a wiped out defense and they choked. now what does he do? He wins g7 or he is doomed as a coach. its a big day for him
Yep, agree with this. Like they're saying "players win games and coaches lose them".

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz has never gone 4 games and he has never gone 7. It's always been 5 or 6. I don't like that he seemed to have already choked in this game 6, and it concerns me that he may panic in game 7.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'll say this, no matter what happens I am willing to give them this offseason to change. BM/BT inherited a lot of junk and have a chance to make a group of forwards they like. They couldn't do everything last summer. If we're here again next year though, with a team full of lazy and stupid, there's very little chance of ever winning a cup with OV.

Agree with this. They improved the coaching, improved the defense. Lets see if they shore up offensive depth to support ovie/nicky. The gleason move I think was positive, the GlenX not so much. So they went 50/50 at the deadline. Not really a need to chop heads.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Trotz has never gone 4 games and he has never gone 7. It's always been 5 or 6. I don't like that he seemed to have already choked in this game 6, and it concerns me that he may panic in game 7.

If in fact he always thought this would go 7, why would he panic?

OVs Gold Chain*

I feel we're really missing Fehr right now, if only because that third line is terrible.

I don't know what it is, as I'm not a Laich fan, but Laich seems like the only "hockey player" on that line at times. A few times in the last game, and then even fewer this time, I can see the skill trying to come out of Wilson but his hands/body can't keep up with what he's thinking of yet so it just dies on his stick. Latta has bee abysmal, it seems like he's redundant with Wilson out there but keeps trying to fill that role instead of just grinding the Islanders into oblivion as he should be doing.

Maybe roll GlenX on that line instead. If not, bring Fehr back and roll 3 lines with Laich, Wilson, and Bura as rotational players for the rest of the lines (as I don't know how well that line would do). I also want to see Orlov in for Gleason but its not even fair to call that a pipe dream. Gleason is/has just been too damn slow for the Islanders.

What in the world are you even complaining about? Trotz barely used the 4th line today, and IMO that was a terrible mistake. Wilson's hits single handedly brought the energy and momentum back into the Caps' favor this series. Now Trotz gets nervous and decides to roll 3 lines in an elimination game?

Expecting more of the same in game 7. Just hope Ovechkin shows up and puts the team on his back once again.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Nope.

2006 the 4 seeded Preds lost to the 5 seeded Sharks
2007 the 4 seeded Preds lost to the 5 seeded Sharks
2012 the 4 seeded Preds beat the 5 seeded Red Wings

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
What in the world are you even complaining about? Trotz barely used the 4th line today, and IMO that was a terrible mistake. Wilson's hits single handedly brought the energy and momentum back into the Caps' favor this series. Now Trotz gets nervous and decides to roll 3 lines in an elimination game?

Expecting more of the same in game 7. Just hope Ovechkin shows up and puts the team on his back once again.

I'm assuming he wasn't playing them because every single time they were out there they'd get it in deep, have no idea what to do with it, and then lose the puck. Laich was the only real "NHLer" out there. Wilson was doing Wilson things but Latta has been terrible lately.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz better have learned to cope with stress before now.

Well the point is he's never been in a game 7 so he can't have learned how to cope with that specific situation from experience. It's all hypothetical. This is brand new territory for him. Will it cause him to make panic moves like, oh I don't know, getting away from the gameplan that got him to a 3-2 series lead like he did tonight? I guess we'll see.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well the point is he's never been in a game 7 so he can't have learned how to cope with that specific situation from experience. It's all hypothetical. This is brand new territory for him. Will it cause him to make panic moves like, oh I don't know, getting away from the gameplan that got him to a 3-2 series lead like he did tonight? I guess we'll see.

Yes we will.

Sep 19, 2008
Minor leaguers is a bit of a stretch. That's a good young team with veteran leadership. Even without much of their defensemen they were still able to win today. It sucks but it is what it is.

As for the game itself the Caps showed up for sure and were able to tie it but the Isles were coming off emotion and didn't want to lose their potentially last game at Nassau. The game was hotly contested and came down to puck luck and bounces. If that puck is a few inches lower we go to overtime in all likelihood.

This was always projected to be a close series, and has not disappointed. These are two evenly matched teams and they played so in the regular season. One team is marginally better than the other, and that team will be determined Monday. Hopefully it is the team playing on home ice.

hitachi

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah I didn't take it as him trashing the team. Just another chance to hopefully take advantage of the inexperience on their backend since we didn't this game.

Sep 19, 2008
I was surprised they were able to cope without Visnovsky and De Haan and Hamonic

One of them did lose his cool and got a 10 minute penalty though :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad